You are here

DAWS for video recording and EQ reverb effects

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

DAWS for video recording and EQ reverb effects

Postby elvis isn't dead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:11 am

Hello all
I am looking for a DAW (free if posible) that will allow me to record video and add EQ and reverb effects to the sound.

So many to choose from and such complex programs.
elvis isn't dead
New here

Re: DAWS for video recording and EQ reverb effects

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Cakewalk is a free DAW that's now back to being fully supported, I'm not sure what its video capability is like.
Reaper has a lot going for it as a DAW for video, that'll set you back about £60 for a non-commercial license but you can download a trial version that gives you plenty of assessment time to try before you buy.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:26 pm

If you’ve got a Mac computer then use iMovie.
MOF
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 pm

I'd be looking for a video program to do this if you need video capture. Da Vinci Resolve is free and includes audio tools from Fairlight. I've also used Shotcut which is a useful free video editor though I don't use it for audio processing.

If you just need to process existing video then quite a few DAW's will work. I use Reaper which I find great for basic video editing.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby elvis isn't dead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 pm

James Perrett wrote:I'd be looking for a video program to do this if you need video capture. Da Vinci Resolve is free and includes audio tools from Fairlight. I've also used Shotcut which is a useful free video editor though I don't use it for audio processing.

If you just need to process existing video then quite a few DAW's will work. I use Reaper which I find great for basic video editing.

Dose da vinci let you edit sound like a daw, I mean import a file and record over it, dose it have effect built into it?

Reaper is curupt! So no good
elvis isn't dead
New here

Postby R_A » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Lightworks
R_A
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:56 am

elvis isn't dead wrote:

Sorry, can't let that go by unchallenged - please explain why Reaper is corrupt.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby elvis isn't dead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:
elvis isn't dead wrote:

Sorry, can't let that go by unchallenged - please explain why Reaper is corrupt.
wont load the files
elvis isn't dead
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:29 pm

I've downloaded and installed dozens of different versions of Reaper over the years, and not once have I ever had a problem with corrupt files :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby elvis isn't dead » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Martin
I do not see a way of uploading an image file to your site. An image of a screen shot I took. So all I can tell you is what the diolog box says

Error opening device
There was an error opening the audio hardware.
elvis isn't dead
New here

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:47 pm

That generally occurs when there's a problem with hardware driver or similar. Or just a bit of hardware that hasn't been switched on.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Deleted User » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:15 am

blinddrew wrote:That generally occurs when there's a problem with hardware driver or similar. Or just a bit of hardware that hasn't been switched on.
Hardware that has not been switch on! thanks I will give it another go and post back

Do you know if Reaper lets you import video/ mp4 instead of mp3 files and can you record video with it?

Also do you know anything about this 60 day free trail thing what happens after, I can not remember but can you keep using it for free ater that time?
Deleted User
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:36 am

elvis isn't dead wrote:Also do you know anything about this 60 day free trail thing what happens after, I can not remember but can you keep using it for free ater that time?

That sort of question is not going to go down well in these forums, and nor should it.

You have a top-notch DAW with all the features of products costing a LOT more, a permanent license of only $60 and you want to use it for free after the extremely generous free trial they offer? Its less than the cost of a decent night out these days and you get to use it forever, with support, upgrades and the security that comes with doing the right thing.

Seriously, try it out and if it works for you, buy the license.

Also, the 'DA' in DAW stands for 'Digital Audio'. If you want to process the audio from a video then export it as a WAV from your video editor, load it into a DAW, process it and then import it back to the video editor.

Some DAWs do support basic video playback for timing purposes but in all honesty if you are really looking to break the eminently reasonable terms of a generous license then I for one am not inclined to assist further.

Elvis may or may not be dead (hint: he is) but ethics seem to be on their last legs in many quarters these days and it's hurting a fantastic industry.

If you've never done it, trust me when I say that the feeling you get when you license a product because it's high quality and useful to you is a really good feeling.

Please don't be one of the bad people.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby kalvinb12 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 am

It’s not a “DAW” but one program that might be useful for processing video sound tracks is Black Magic DaVinci Resolve. It’s free (not a demo) professional video editing and processing program. Audio processing is done in their Fairlight module. There is a steep learning curve with this program and you’ll need a fast computer with lots of ram, but it is an incredible and the price is right: free.

Reaper does have some limited video capability but if you use it please send Cockos the shareware fee: they put lots of effort into that program!
kalvinb12

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:00 am

elvis isn't dead wrote:Do you know if Reaper lets you import video/ mp4 instead of mp3 files and can you record video with it?

Also do you know anything about this 60 day free trail thing what happens after, I can not remember but can you keep using it for free ater that time?
Yep, you can import mp4s. Not sure about using it to capture video though, never tried.

After the trial period it just reminds you that your period is up and asks you to purchase or keep evaluating. Obviously I strongly suggest that you buy it if it's a bit of software that you're going to use, but i also understand that life gets in the way and sometimes 60 days, generous as it is, doesn't actually translate into that much hands on time. And there's a lot to get your head round, especially if you're doing video.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:26 am

blinddrew wrote:Obviously I strongly suggest that you buy it if it's a bit of software that you're going to use, but i also understand that life gets in the way and sometimes 60 days, generous as it is, doesn't actually translate into that much hands on time. And there's a lot to get your head round, especially if you're doing video.
This happened to me, started the demo then got sidetracked and 60 days was up.
Good to know I can go back and finish my evaluation and if I decide to keep using it I will happily pay.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:23 pm

The great thing about Reaper is that it will work as a video editor - not just a video player. OK so it may not have all the bells and whistles of Premiere but for me, once you understand the video processor plug-in, it works in a much more logical way.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Deleted User » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 pm

To be honest I will probably remove reaper soon anyway, its just proving to be to much hasel!
Would like to try Black Magic DaVinci Resolve but dont have fast computers
Deleted User
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:43 pm

For video I'm using Cyberlink PowerDirector. Comes with audio tools and you can load/link extra VST modules if you wish to.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Deleted User » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:25 pm

Has/ dose anyone use Windows Movie Maker
Don't seam to put them on modern operating systems these days
Deleted User
Regular

Next