You are here

Recommendations for Back-Up & Sync App Between 2 computers

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Recommendations for Back-Up & Sync App Between 2 computers

Postby emptybe » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Hello peeps! I run 2 essentially identical DAWs - one in my studio and one at home and currently direct sync all the important files (projects etc) using Resilio Sync https://www.resilio.com so that I can pickup where I left off on a project if need be when I go home.

It works OK but is annoying as you need both computers to be switched on AND I'm getting more worried about having a proper backup in the cloud. There a million online backup apps but I'm wondering which would be best for music. Specifically one that:
- Can work as backup and sync the right folders to mean everything is mirrored on both machines
- Can have a lot of storage (around 4TB) at a not crazy ££
- Is easy to use

Anyone using something like this that they can recommend?
emptybe
Poster

Re: Recommendations for Back-Up & Sync App Between 2 computers

Postby James Perrett » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 pm

I just use a large USB drive to manually transfer things with Syncback on each machine to ensure everything stays in sync.

I haven't done a comparison myself for 4TB but Google Drive seems good value for a smaller shared space at only £15 per year for 100GB. The options seem fairly versatile although I just have it mirror an area on my hard drive.

I found an interesting article comparing providers at

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopp ... e/#compare

which suggested that Knowhow (a part of Currys/PC World) would be cheapest for 4GB at £60 per year. No idea how good they are though.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby emptybe » Wed May 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks for the response James. From the looks of it it feels like https://www.idrive.com/ does both the backup and syncing I need, and is pretty reasonable.

Any had any experience with them or using any other sync service for DAWs?
emptybe
Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Similar to James, I use a USB stick and Syncback Free for quick and simple synchronisation.

I have also invested in a NAS array and I'm finding it increasingly useful, replacing pretty much any third-party cloud service. Primarily it keeps everything synced and backed up, but I'm also finding it useful as a home media server, security camera system and other duties. Its not a cheap option, but I'd no longer look at a third-party cloud service now I'm in control of my own.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.