You are here

Getting into PC recording for a beginner

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Getting into PC recording for a beginner

Postby atarimad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:29 am

Hi Chaps,

I keep putting this off but i really should be getting into PC recording. I normally use a hard disk recorder (Akai DPS16 - great machine but has it's limitations) but because of the limitations I'd like to try using one of my PC's. I'm not likely to be recording lots of tracks simultaneously so one or two inputs initially would be fine. I've always been confused with the setup of the audio inputs, outputs, latency etc.

For a complete newbie, can anyone make any recommendations for a simple DAW setup? I have a spare dual core PC with windows 10 to play with.

Many thanks.
atarimad
Regular

Re: Getting into PC recording for a beginner

Postby atarimad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:33 am

If it helps I do have a couple of small desks, a Behringer BCF2000 and (I think) a Lexicon Omega audio interface (or a USB one whatever make it is!). I've also recently taken delivery of a Behringer Air X18 for live use.
atarimad
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:00 pm

I know of the Lexicon, but I have no experience of it. It's very long in the tooth now and you may trip up with drivers for newer computers. Others will hopefully provide some guidance on this.

The XR18 will do the job for you. Just install the drivers and a bit of DAW software (the weapon of choice for beginners is Cockos Reaper) and start learning. Reaper is free to start. Once installed you will need to choose the XR18's ASIO driver in Reaper's options and you're on your way. The rest is about working your way up that learning curve.

(Don't get bogged down with that BCF2000 - that can come later, should you feel the need. It's not a 'desk'.)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Quick correction, Reaper has a good length free trial period but it does then cost (about £60) to license properly.
But it's a very powerful DAW with a good bunch of plugins included as standard. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby atarimad » Wed May 01, 2019 12:56 pm

Thanks for the info.

I didn't mean to class the BCF as a desk. I got it to (potentially) ease the transition from pure hardware to software.
atarimad
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 01, 2019 1:01 pm

I've got one that I do find useful, most DAWs will have some version of the MCU protocol that will allow you to use it. But as the Elf says, that's a bonus not a fundamental. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed May 01, 2019 3:31 pm

atarimad wrote:I didn't mean to class the BCF as a desk. I got it to (potentially) ease the transition from pure hardware to software.
Quite honestly... it won't. It will just be something else to sort out. You're going to have to learn to love that mouse, no matter how hard you wriggle!

IME most BCF2000s sit gathering dust.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 01, 2019 4:30 pm

blinddrew wrote:Quick correction, Reaper has a good length free trial period but it does then cost (about £60) to license properly.
But it's a very powerful DAW with a good bunch of plugins included as standard. :)

And Reaper's bundled plug-ins can easily be missed, as they don't have fancy graphic interfaces, but their sound is almost universally excellent once you start exploring them :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Wed May 01, 2019 4:59 pm

As I said:
The Elf wrote:"Reaper is free to start."
;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 01, 2019 5:45 pm

I just wanted to be clear that it was a trial period and not a 'freemium' business model. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby DXL4bass » Wed May 01, 2019 5:48 pm

You may want to try Cakewalk by Bandlab. Its a full fledged DAW with much features and it's totally free. I used to pay several hundred dollars for the software and the updates, but since Gibson stop supporting the software, the kind folks at Bandland brought it from Gibson and made it free for it's users. Also, they have been gracious with the updates making the software more wonderful to use. Check it out at Cakewalk .com :thumbup:
DXL4bass