You are here

Newer Laptop slower than old? W10 tweaks?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Newer Laptop slower than old? W10 tweaks?

Postby james090 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 pm

CS70 wrote:Being a laptop, it's possible the previous one was simply set in high performance mode while the new one, just installed, defaults to balanced? That would make it slower.

Can you reveal where high performance mode/balanced mode is please? :)
james090
Regular

Postby Agharta » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:41 pm

james090 wrote:Can you reveal where high performance mode/balanced mode is please? :)

Control Panel
Hardware and Sound
Power Options

The modes showing will depend on what the OEM installed at the factory.
Try adding a new Power Plan and choose the High Performance Option and you can tweak it if required and save it as 'My Plan' so that you don't overwrite the pre-installed plans.

After creating that and selecting it you then want to use some software to stress the CPU and monitor that the CPU is running at full speed.
Let us know when you have done the above first and give us the model number of your CPU.
Download CPU-Z as that will give you basic details of your PC including the CPU:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:25 pm

james090 wrote:As it is up to speed (internet wise) when I plug an Ethernet cable in, I am thinking this must be the network drivers for the internal modem? as you mention, and something going on with these?

There isn't an internal modem in this instance.

The modem these days is your router. Inside the machine is the network devices which are wifi or ethernet. Both do the same job, which is to talk to the router.

So, to clarify.

Are you saying that it runs at full tilt when you plug in an ethernet cable and hardwire it?
But it runs badly only on Wi-fi?

Ok, so a couple of things. The new wifi might not be as capable of pulling a strong signal as the old one. To check this sit next to your router and retest with both. If the new one is still slower we can rule that out.

We do this test as walls can impact the signal and if the new one has a weak aerial then you'll notice it as a slow down when your a few rooms away. Sitting next to the router gets rid of the walls from the equation.

If it's still far slower in that scenario, then a driver update might help... well, worth a punt at any rate. If you're not sure you're looking for driver wise, tell us what the laptop is and we can suss it out for you.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:40 pm

With WiFi you really need to know the basics to make sure you aren't limiting your bandwidth.
I will look for a guide online.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks for you replies.

So i did a handful of performance tweaks on Windows 10 and got rid of some bloat, settings, etc.

I also checked the drivers for my network etc which all seemed up to date.

So to recap my original post, I have Fibre Broadband at the home.

I tested with the Google internet speed test, on my iMac, C2d 4GB old W10 laptop, and this i3 8GB 500GB laptop W10, which is newer.

The iMac and C2d 4GB old W10 laptop came out with 37mbps roughly on Wifi.
The newer i3 8GB 500GB laptop W10 on Wifi comes out at around 15-17mbps on Wifi?!

I did plug an Ethernet cable into the i3 8GB 500GB laptop and it seemed to go back up with the others to 37.6mbps.

Which is why i'm guessing, its either my modem (if it exists) or my W10 install?
I have all the W10 updates done and installed, and high performace mode enabled now, plus turned off a load of unecessary bloat.

So thats where I am.. :)
james090
Regular

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Download and run something like this:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/wifi- ... verviewtab

Report back the following:
Frequency
Protocol
Channel

You need to make sure the WiFi adapter (it's not a modem) is configured for the best performance.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 pm

Agharta wrote:Download and run something like this:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/wifi- ... verviewtab

Report back the following:
Frequency
Protocol
Channel.

Ok so downloaded and installed, and results as follows :

Frequency - 2.437Ghz
Protocol - 802.11n
Channel - 6
james090
Regular

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:01 pm

james090 wrote:Ok so downloaded and installed, and results as follows :

Frequency - 2.437Ghz
Protocol - 802.11n
Channel - 6

Ideally you want to be running 5GHz 802.11AC provided both your router and WiFi Adapter support it.
You'd need to give the make and model of both of those so it can be checked.

Go to the System Tray, locate the Internet icon, click on it, then click Properties, scroll to the bottom and note the Manufacturer, Description and Driver Version.
Report back with these details for the adapter.
For the Router you will need to look at it for details.

Another thing to look for is channel contention. If there are multiple local WiFi networks using the same channel that can be a problem.
Hopefully if you can move to using AC from N then your problems will be solved.
If not, you need to use the app you download to scan for local WiFi networks.
If there is contention you should login to the router and change the channel to one that is free of contention.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:16 pm

Right, thank you for this help!

The Router is a TalkTalk one we were supplied as we moved up to Fibre Broadband, (but still not that impressed, but its not my account).

Router : Not sure of model but its a standard V-shape TalkTalk Router (Fibre)
https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/super-router (Super Router)

Laptop Wifi Adaptor : Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet
Driver : 15.6.1.3 updated 18/8/2015 (says im on the latest driver?)

Looking at Neighbours channels it looks like a lot of us seem to be on Ch6 (inc me)!
And some are Ch11 ?

i am not sure how to log into the router? is this done with a wired cable?
james090
Regular

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:42 pm

james090 wrote:Laptop Wifi Adaptor : Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet
That says Ethernet and doesn't give a Model name which doesn't help.

Try this:
Control Panel - System and security - System - Device Manager - Network Adapters.
Expand the list and look for a Wireless Adapter and note the name and model number.
Double click it and select the advanced tab.
Look for a property called something like 802.11n/ac Wireless mode and note the setting. See if you can change it to 802.11ac which would make it choose AC over N which is what you want.
Look also for a property called Preferred Band and set it to Prefer 5GHz.

After you've done this disable and re-enable WiFi and using the method used before check to see if you are now connecting with AC rather than N.
Even if you are stuck on N changing it to 5Ghz should help.
If it hasn't changed then reboot the laptop.

The router should easily be new enough to support AC.
No need to login at this point.
You can login using Ethernet or WiFi.
Instructions may be on the router itself including a password which is different to the WiFi password.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm

Agharta wrote:Ideally you want to be running 5GHz 802.11AC provided both your router and WiFi Adapter support it.

Both machines are using the same Wifi so it is unlikely to be a generic Wifi issue - it will be something peculiar to the i3 machine.

The only thing that I would check is that the speed test that you performed on the old machine was for a reasonably sustained time as it is possible that a short test could give an overly optimistic result. Better still - does your router allow you to plug in a USB disk? Can you check the data rate streaming a very large file from this disk?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:55 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Agharta wrote:Ideally you want to be running 5GHz 802.11AC provided both your router and WiFi Adapter support it.

Both machines are using the same Wifi so it is unlikely to be a generic Wifi issue - it will be something peculiar to the i3 machine.

Which is why I'm focusing on the WiFi adapter first and not the router :thumbup:
If the router supports multi bands and protocols simultaneously then that might explain why one device is much slower than the other as they would be using different protocols.
Pete already suggested testing the WiFi speed whilst the laptop is next to the router so if that doesn't give you a decent throughput we can probably exclude it from being an antennae issue.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:56 pm

Agharta wrote:
james090 wrote:Laptop Wifi Adaptor : Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet
That says Ethernet and doesn't give a Model name which doesn't help.

Try this:
Control Panel - System and security - System - Device Manager - Network Adapters.
Expand the list and look for a Wireless Adapter and note the name and model number.
Double click it and select the advanced tab.
Look for a property called something like 802.11n/ac Wireless mode and note the setting. See if you can change it to 802.11ac which would make it choose AC over N which is what you want.
Look also for a property called Preferred Band and set it to Prefer 5GHz.

After you've done this disable and re-enable WiFi and using the method used before check to see if you are now connecting with AC rather than N.
Even if you are stuck on N changing it to 5Ghz should help.
If it hasn't changed then reboot the laptop.

The router should easily be new enough to support AC.
No need to login at this point.
You can login using Ethernet or WiFi.
Instructions may be on the router itself including a password which is different to the WiFi password.

Right that may have been my fault in giving the wrong info?

So have found Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
Driver is latest and up to date, and thats from 02/06/2013 !

I can't see any setting or way to change it to 802.11ac?
I can't also see 'preferred band' but did see a setting : Bandwith Capability and changed this to 11b/g 20/40MHz ?

I will restart wifi now and see what happens. Internet seems to be the same speed on that test again.?
james090
Regular

Postby james090 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 pm

I have logged into the router via wif-fi and noticed that 5Ghz is enabled.

i looked at Devices, and it says :

Wireless connections
Band 1 (2.4 GHz)

iPhone
Laptop (this one!)

Band 2 (5 GHz)
Now TV

so would this show that it is giving out 5Ghz, but only our Now TV box is using it?
and not my Laptop (or indeed the iPhone)?
james090
Regular

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:08 pm

james090 wrote:I have logged into the router via wif-fi and noticed that 5Ghz is enabled.

i looked at Devices, and it says :
Wireless connections
Band 1 (2.4 GHz)

iPhone
Laptop (this one!)

Band 2 (5 GHz)
Now TV

so would this show that it is giving out 5Ghz, but only our Now TV box is using it?
and not my Laptop (or indeed the iPhone)?
Based on the info you gave the i3 laptop only supports WiFi-N.
The two options now are to see if it supports 5GHz and if not we will look to change the channel away from the one that it's on which is busy.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:10 pm

Right, logging into the Router, it clearly shows two columns for Wi-fi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

it looks like Now TV connects (and is the only thing) connected to 5Ghz.

And under 2.4Ghz (which i assume is slower), is 2 iPhones, 2 relatively new iPads, this Laptop etc

Are they all connecting wrongly to the slower speed then? :headbang:
james090
Regular

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 pm

What speed do you get from the laptop using WiFi when it's located right be the router?
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 pm

Agharta wrote:What speed do you get from the laptop using WiFi when it's located right be the router?

Ok so sat right next to the Router (Super Router! lol) its still only 11mbps, when it should be around 40mbps which is mentioned when logging into the Router page!
james090
Regular

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Try running Speedtest on one or more of the iOS devices when near the router.
Either from within a web browser or with the app:
https://www.speedtest.net/apps/ios

It's possible that the iOS devices might also get a boost if changing their settings but test them first.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:41 pm

Agharta wrote:Try running Speedtest on one or more of the iOS devices when near the router.
Either from within a web browser or with the app:
https://www.speedtest.net/apps/ios

It's possible that the iOS devices might also get a boost if changing their settings but test them first.

I shall try this thanks.. However do you think its down to my internal wi-fi can only see 2.4Ghz? There 'maybe' a setting to change it to 5Ghz but can't see it at the moment? its an Acer Aspire 5742.

Also i can't see how an older Dell e5500 C2D is connecting to 5GHz? but i shall test them all tomorrow to see whats going on.

Does this mean that i need to get a usb wireless adaptor for an internet speed bump?
i know they are very cheap on eBay, but I am short of USB ports as it is, so this isn't helping :smirk:
james090
Regular

PreviousNext