You are here

Designated drive sata or nvme

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Designated drive sata or nvme

Postby washburnbill » Thu May 30, 2019 4:52 am

I purchased an all in one hp pavilion for $100 to upgrade ram and hdd to ssd. It has an intel i5. I will primarily be using it with ableton and occasionally protools with super heavy vst’s like komplete or Superior drummer. After opening the case I discovered it has a M.2nvme drive. I already own a Samsung evo M.2 960 and a Samsung evo 2.5 850. Both 1TB... My question is should I put operating system on faster nvme and use sata as designated read/write drive or visa versa?
I will be using additional external ssd for sample libraries.
Trying to get latency as low as possible.
washburnbill

Re: Designated drive sata or nvme

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu May 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Pete from Scan would be best placed to advise on this I suspect (he pops in here from time to time) but I would suggest putting your OS on the NVMe drive.

When you mention latency, are you talking about loading times or audio latency in operation?

If the former then SSD is plenty fast enough for loading things very quickly, streaming samples from storage etc. If the latter then the choice of storage medium is unlikely to affect it in any noticeable way.

The OS is likely to benefit the most from the additional speed of nVME. My DAW has a similar configuration (boot drive is NVMe, storage is 2 x 1Tb SSDs) and I'm very happy with that setup (it is a Scan system and NVMe was pre-selected as the boot drive).
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Re: Designated drive sata or nvme

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:35 pm

I tend to favour NVMe for OS and/or 4K or higher video editing as a scratch drive. The OS largely because you're always using it and every minor improvement accumulates over time. Video scratch drive is because 4K editing is one of the few creative processes that really hammers the drive bandwidth to that degree.

After that SSD's pretty much all the way, unless there just happens to be another NVMe port spare waiting to be filled.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio