You are here

Wav not being read by pc

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Wav not being read by pc

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:06 am

After some more Googling around 0x80070057, I'm wondering if there might be illegal characters in the name of the archive or the files it contains, possibly something that Macs accept in filenames but PCs don't (perhaps \ / : * ? < > ").

Is there anything unusual in the filenames, and can you suppress the error by unzipping the archive with something like 7Zip using a rename option as discussed in relation to this error here...?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby kinglouis » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:04 am

Thats's nice idea - I find the Mac file names quite restrictive so, having checked, there's no punctuation or anything that may make Mac, PC or unzipping have a tricky time I THINK but you never know! Thank you, I'll keep my eye out for that, not something I'd thought of.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:23 am

OK! I'm curious about the comment that:

blinddrew wrote:Interestingly, when I try and extract the files I get that error message, but if I just instruct it to skip all it then completes the extraction

...when you extract the files and "skip all" in this way, are there any missing?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby kinglouis » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Its possible BD wouldn't know if there are any missing - I'll send you a full listing of the files!

Thanks for this gents, I appreciate the time spent on this.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 pm

This ^^^ :)

I'd need a full file list to compare to.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Nerd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Just upload your file again. Maybe this time on a Google Drive folder & see if the same same issue occurs or not. Hopefully the issue won't be there.
The Nerd

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Do any of the filenames have a double quote ( " ) in them? Windows doesn't like this, but Macs don't have a problem with it. If there are any, and you replace them with single quotes on the Mac before creating the ZIP file then this could well solve the problem. I believe 7-Zip has a rename function you can use to handle this as well (though it's been a while since I used it).

Failing that, it may be down to filesystem metadata. When you transfer files between Mac and Windows, the file on disk may end up with no valid owner. In such cases, sometimes resetting the security permissions can resolve the issue.

Right click the file, select 'Properties', then access the 'Security' tab. Hit the 'Edit' button and use the resulting dialogue box to make sure that the file permissions are sensible. If in doubt then go for 'Everyone, Full Access'. No guarantees this will work but it does solve quite a few filesystem related issues, so it's worth a go.

Also, there are limits on filename lengths. A good rule of thumb is to ensure that all files in the archive have a path + filename of less than 256 characters in total.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Do any of the filenames have a double quote ( " ) in them? Windows doesn't like this, but Macs don't have a problem with it.

Also possibly related :-)

Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Previous