You are here

Hornet VU Meter MK 3 - Q) Max Peak best setting?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Hornet VU Meter MK 3 - Q) Max Peak best setting?

Postby monoboy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 pm

Hey!

By default The reference setting is on -18 which I leave as is, But with the ‘Max Peak’ setting which option is best to set in most mixing situations?

I use a lot of Analog emulation plugins, such as the ones from Waves, Ive heard that those plugins work best at -18, not sure if this means I would choose the Max Peak to be at -18, by default it’s set to -6.

Thanks ! :)
monoboy
New here

Re: Hornet VU Meter MK 3 - Q) Max Peak best setting?

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi monoboy!

That Max Peak setting sounds about right to me at -6dBFS.

A VU meter has a slow response and ignores the signal peaks (300 milliseconds of integration time). It works in a similar way to the human ear, so you should expect peaks to rise somewhat above your reference level.

I've recently been using a VU meter referenced to -18dbFS, and peaks on my music typically hover around -10dBFS, but then my stuff is dynamically smooth. Another 4dB in a more transient-laden mix sounds perfectly feasible to me.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby monoboy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi Martin,

Many thanks! Will take your suggestion on board and leave it on default -6 - much appreciated!
monoboy
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:47 pm

My pleasure - let us know how you get on, and whether you find this 'Max Peak' setting works for your music in practice.

Martin
Martin Walker