You are here

WIN10 - Audio Input Suddenly Distorted

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: WIN10 - Audio Input Suddenly Distorted

Postby Flevo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:07 pm

May be a strange question. Are the twe pc ‘s connecties via ethernet? Is there may be an other distortion source? Have you tried to turn the powerplug?
I can imaginaire that you have tryed iT on the laptop on batteries?
Is there in the program list a new program or update since then?

IT is an interesting problem, i must say that i do several thing on my pc and now and then there are Some issues i cant explain. After reinstal my music software all is back to normal. I am just trying things out.
I want to start more seriously so i bought a MacBook pro no issues at all ( for now)
R
Flevo
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Doomofman wrote:Yeah same thing happens with line input on the Scarlett...

Just to be clear ... if you set up the two systems independently with the Pod on one, the Scarlett on the other, and using one guitar with one and the other guitar with the other, the problem exhibits itself on both systems?

Are the two PCs of the same make and model or are they different?

Do you have any other USB audio devices you can try for comparison?

In cases such as this where the obvious things have been tried, it really does make sense to go right back to basics and start over. Having 2 separate systems is a good start :)

Let us know!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Doomofman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Just an update on this... Been super demotivated by it so just letting it sit for a couple of days in the hopes something inspires me to figure it out...

The two computers I've tried so far are a customer built high-end desktop and a Microsoft Surface Book 2.

I am working towards getting a dedicated PC for my audio setup as the current one is also used for gaming so maybe something there is conflicting so in the next few days I'll have a dedicated DAW machine.

At the moment, if I make enough changes to the tones I can get some passible results but not nearly as pleasant as before and not nearly as easily (previously I could just use any preset without changes and it would sound fine)

So whenever I sort the dedicate machine, that will get a fresh Windows 10 install with only the software and peripherals I need for audio recording, maybe that will solve the issue
Doomofman
New here

Postby CS70 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Another puzzling thing is that ASIO drivers, which are normally used with DAWs and audio interfaces, entirely bypass Windows audio subsystem. So something software affecting them on two different completely machines with two completely different interfaces sounds very odd. If it were a widespread OS related issue, everybody else would have the same problem, and patently that's not the case.

I would bet hard that it's something related to the rest of the chain. What are the common elements in your trials? I mean guitar, cables, location in the room, power socket etc..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Doomofman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:30 pm

CS70 wrote:Another puzzling thing is that ASIO drivers, which are normally used with DAWs and audio interfaces, entirely bypass Windows audio subsystem. So something software affecting them on two different completely machines with two completely different interfaces sounds very odd. If it were a widespread OS related issue, everybody else would have the same problem, and patently that's not the case.

I would bet hard that it's something related to the rest of the chain. What are the common elements in your trials? I mean guitar, cables, location in the room, power socket etc..

I have tried different instrument cables and guitars, I've tested the Scarlett interface on my laptop while it's running on battery and it still exhibited the same issue which should rule out the sockets.

I've tried guitars with passive and active pickups and they exhibit the same problem. The only thing that seems to still be fine is direct monitoring on the POD HD 500X.

I ran a mono line signal from my POD to the line in on the Scarlett interface and it exhibits the same issue too.

At this stage, I try one or two things, get fed up and then leave it a day and repeat that process
Doomofman
New here

Postby CS70 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Doomofman wrote:
CS70 wrote:Another puzzling thing is that ASIO drivers, which are normally used with DAWs and audio interfaces, entirely bypass Windows audio subsystem. So something software affecting them on two different completely machines with two completely different interfaces sounds very odd. If it were a widespread OS related issue, everybody else would have the same problem, and patently that's not the case.

I have tried different instrument cables and guitars, I've tested the Scarlett interface on my laptop while it's running on battery and it still exhibited the same issue which should rule out the sockets.

I've tried guitars with passive and active pickups and they exhibit the same problem. The only thing that seems to still be fine is direct monitoring on the POD HD 500X.

I ran a mono line signal from my POD to the line in on the Scarlett interface and it exhibits the same issue too.

At this stage, I try one or two things, get fed up and then leave it a day and repeat that process

Fully understandable, but what I wonder are the elements in common - and at this stage it is likely to be something that has nothing to do with either the instruments or the computer.

Btw, the issue (distortion when monitoring via pc over the USB cable, and no distortion when you monitor directly from the POD HD500X) is present both on monitors and headphones? Do you use the same headphone out? And the same headphones?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Doomofman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:33 pm

CS70 wrote:
Doomofman wrote:

Fully understandable, but what I wonder are the elements in common - and at this stage it is likely to be something that has nothing to do with either the instruments or the computer.

Btw, the issue (distortion when monitoring via pc over the USB cable, and no distortion when you monitor directly from the POD HD500X) is present both on monitors and headphones? Do you use the same headphone out? And the same headphones?

Same issue on Monitors and two sets of headphones but sure you can hear the issue on a recording anyway so it's not the output that's the problem...

In terms of what's in common, both interfaces are USB 2.0 (but have been tried on by 2.0 and 3.0/3.1 ports). Everything I've tried is via 1/4" jack (thought tested multiple cables), I could in theory try a mic via XLR but honestly, I don't record vocals so not sure I'd be able to recognise if there's an issue or not, but if the input jacks were the problem, surely monitoring directly on the POD would give the issue too.

What leaned me towards it being something with the PC itself was how sudden it was, everything had been going fine, I wired guitar with new pickups and was testing those out and noticed the issue, I initially assumed it was the pickups until I tested another guitar which the previous day had been working fine
Doomofman
New here

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 pm

Just for information - at the weekend, I had a major (in place) update from the original Windows 10 (which came on the laptop) to Windows 10, 1903 and I notice alot of activity with reinstalling drivers.

Most of my software works - word, Excell, photoshop, technical programs but it seems my music stuff is mainly f**ked !
:cry: :x :x :x :x :x :x

First to be noticed was Sony Sound Forge, it wanted to reinstall and couldnt find a server, =unuseable.

Bandlab Cakewalk wants to reinstall, after half an hour it cant find a server but can be cancelled and proceeds to be useable. This process repeats on next startup.

Yamaha THR10 practice amp editor- task manager says its running but no app window appears?? [I tried reinstalling this and also the Steinberg driver]

Ive not tried my HD500x as everythings packed away for room refurbishment, so I wont be spending to much time on this at the moment.
Hopefully it will cure itself soon !
:)
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 am

Sorry, "wants to reinstall"? I've never seen a program ask to reinstall, could you be a bit more specific to how that's being requested.

Is it not some kind of update that's now required to support the later OS build that's been applied?

It sounds like the underlying issue is a failure to connect to outside servers to some degree, are your regular internet browsers functioning correctly?

I'd try flushing everything as indicated below and updating your network drivers.

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10 ... ws-10.html
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby N i g e l » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:12 pm

My original windows10 was the one that came loaded on the machine. Recently “check for updates” indicated that it would no longer be supported from November so I should therefore upgrade to v1903. So Im now running v1903.

I am using the machine to access this forum. I have no problems with browsing, email, watching youtube etc.

Pete Kaine wrote:Sorry, "wants to reinstall"? I've never seen a program ask to reinstall, could you be a bit more specific to how that's being requested.

When starting up Bandlab cakewalk – it came up with a windows dialog box – “windows installer” – which ominously read “preparing to install”.

At first I clicked cancel, it cancelled but didn’t give me cakewalk.

Next I let the installer run – after a good while it timed out as it couldn’t find the server (I was connected to the internet). I cancelled the timeout dialog box and cakewalk proceeded to load.

It wasn’t fixed though as it did the same next time I started it.

I read that the THR10 editor has had problems before [on a windows update in 2018] so I followed some instructions to disconnect www, turn off windows antivirus & firewall and try again.

At some point that seemed to help cakewalk, which is now stable but not the THR10 editor. I also tried compatibility mode but to no avail.

I reinstalled SoundForge and it seems happy.

So my situation is slightly better-

SoundForge ok

Cakewalk running, although some of my VSTs need the license codes reapplied.

THR editor not working but amp is ok [connects to PC via USB for use with youtube/cakewalk etc]

The editor thinks its running, shows up in task manager at 0%. Alt-Tabbbing shows a blank white THR edit screen which cant be accessed (it should have background, clickable dials & buttons).

?
N i g e l
Regular

Previous