You are here

AMD FreeSync Useful for DAW Applications?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

AMD FreeSync Useful for DAW Applications?

Postby BillPhillips » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Is AMD FreeSync of any value for DAW applications? A few months ago I would have said absolutely no; but now, I'm not so sure.

I recently learned that OpenGL processing capacity is important for some VST plugins such as the iZotope Music Production Suite that I'm using. To increase OpenGL processing capacity, I recently bought a AMD RX 580 graphics adapter and it made a big difference.

Now, I'm considering buying a new 32" 1440p (2K) display to pair with my existing acer S27IHL 27" 1080P (1K) display. Some of the 32" displays I'm looking at do support FreeSync and I'm wondering if I should include FreeSync in my list of requirements.
BillPhillips
Regular

Slow but sloppy.

Re: AMD FreeSync Useful for DAW Applications?

Postby giro serex » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:11 am

Hi

Its not necessary for music production. Freesync is ideal in situations like 3D Gaming, where the draw rate and display rate may mismatch alot. When a 3D scene demands that beyond the capabilities of a traditional video card, the draw rate will dimisnish, in turn this unsyncs the card with the monitor. When a 3D scene demands that beyond the capabilities of a freesync enabled video card, the draw rate also diminshes but instead, the freesync enabled monitor will dynamically-adjust its own refresh rate to sync that of the new draw rate. It can be seen the monitor dynamically tracks the output of the card, regardless of draw rate/fps that the 3D scene is being rendered at.

Naturally, if a card has ample computational power headroom and is more than capable of rendering at the chosen resolution (of the monitor to which its attached) then freesync isn't necessary. Its more suited for people who want to minimize such headroom (unused CP) in turn maximising value. Resolution plays a major role in how well a card will handle scenes, as does max. refresh rate.

audio software is mostly 2D interface abnd if 3D were to crop up, the card you mentioned will certainly be able to draw at the rate of your monitor, as its unlikely it will be that intensive.
giro serex

Re: AMD FreeSync Useful for DAW Applications?

Postby BillPhillips » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:35 pm

giro serex wrote:Hi

Its not necessary for music production. Freesync is ideal in situations like 3D Gaming, where the draw rate and display rate may mismatch alot. When a 3D scene demands that beyond the capabilities of a traditional video card, the draw rate will dimisnish, in turn this unsyncs the card with the monitor. When a 3D scene demands that beyond the capabilities of a freesync enabled video card, the draw rate also diminshes but instead, the freesync enabled monitor will dynamically-adjust its own refresh rate to sync that of the new draw rate. It can be seen the monitor dynamically tracks the output of the card, regardless of draw rate/fps that the 3D scene is being rendered at.

Naturally, if a card has ample computational power headroom and is more than capable of rendering at the chosen resolution (of the monitor to which its attached) then freesync isn't necessary. Its more suited for people who want to minimize such headroom (unused CP) in turn maximising value. Resolution plays a major role in how well a card will handle scenes, as does max. refresh rate.

audio software is mostly 2D interface abnd if 3D were to crop up, the card you mentioned will certainly be able to draw at the rate of your monitor, as its unlikely it will be that intensive.

Giro, thanks. I'm not familiar with what FreeSync does, so I appreciate the explanation. I'm taking FreeSync off my display requirements list.

Thanks again.
Bill
BillPhillips
Regular

Slow but sloppy.