You are here

MOTU 828x & 828 MK3 Hybrid refuse to play together.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

MOTU 828x & 828 MK3 Hybrid refuse to play together.

Postby VTypeV4 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:56 am

ImageMl5k lamps mid by VTypeV4, on Flickr

I'm attempting to expand my studio by using multiple interfaces. I currently have my original 828x there which has been solid for years but the mixing console at the studio is big analog A&H ML5000 (48 ch) so to take advantge of all those channels, I've added a MK3 Hybrid to the rack. All of the outputs on the 828x are converted to analog to drive the mixer and I plan to do the same with the MK3 Hybrid.

The computer is an HP Compaq HP8200 running 64 bit Windows 7, has a 3.1 gHz i5 processor and 8GB Ram.

Both interfaces are connected to the computer via USB using the supplied cables, are recognized by Cue mix and the MOTU Audio Console.

AudioDesk (V4.0 - 32 bit) recognizes all of the I/O on both units and I can assign as I wish.

The Hybrid seems to force itself as the 'first' unit but this in itself isn't a problem.

They're clocked together - 828x (internal) then 828 MK3 Hybrid (word clock in) - clock LEDs are in a steady state - I use 48khz.

The problem is that I cannot get them both to pass audio together at the same time. Which ever one is the clock reference in AD4 is the one that will pass audio.

I've tried clocking them using the 828x as master and MK3 Hybrid as wordclock and vice versa - thought it might have been a clocking problem but it doesn't seem to make any difference other than disabling my ADAT I/O on the unclocked interface.

I've also restarted the computer and interfaces any number of times in different orders to no avail.

I have tried the USB cables into different USB sockets in the computer but again, I can only use one interface at a time.

I'm not sure if I've simply missed something simple - I've done a few google searches but I can't find much about using multiple MOTU USB interfaces. There's plenty about daisy chaining via Firewire but very little regarding USB.

Any help or things to try would be appreciated, Many thanks, Matt
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Re: MOTU 828x & 828 MK3 Hybrid refuse to play together.

Postby Chromeman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:45 pm

You can't use 2 devices at the same time with Windows. On a Mac, you can by creating an 'aggregate' device but with Windows you can't use 2 ASIO devices within the same application.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 pm

Chromeman wrote:You can't use 2 devices at the same time with Windows. On a Mac, you can by creating an 'aggregate' device but with Windows you can't use 2 ASIO devices within the same application.

...unless the driver has been written to present multiple interfaces as a single ASIO device. Some RME devices work this way and I believe that ASIO4All can work this way but with higher latency than the native drivers. Latency may not be a problem in this case if all the monitoring goes through the desk.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby VTypeV4 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:52 am

I did wonder about the 'one device' issue but thought the MOTU ASIO driver supported multiple units..

In the MK3 Hybrid manual it talks about daisy chaining the units together under firewire but makes no mention of USB so maybe I've jumped the gun. :headbang: I do have a Firewire MK3 at work so I'll try swapping units out and linking them as described to see. Interestingly, if I do the FW link, there's no need to clock them together either..

I have contacted MOTU about my issue but don't expect a reply until at least Monday.
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:58 am

AFAIK, if they were both FW or both USB, the MOTU driver would present them to Windows as a unified source, but mixing FW and USB creates two drivers, so then it's one or the other.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby VTypeV4 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:31 pm

Wonks wrote:AFAIK, if they were both FW or both USB, the MOTU driver would present them to Windows as a unified source, but mixing FW and USB creates two drivers, so then it's one or the other.

This how I understood it too - both devices are present in CueMix as are their respective I/O. Both are using USB and look to be behaving - until I start trying to make them both play audio.

I've contacted MOTU about it and have also purchased the appropriate FW cable also in case I have to swap the 828x out with my FW MK3.

I'll post the outcomes on the non too distant.. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby VTypeV4 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:06 am

So official word from MOTU is...

Under Windows, it is worst case scenario and despite the MOTU driver seeing both devices, only one can be used irrespective of the host software. I haven't tried the ASIO4ALL route yet but I was also considering other options..

Such a shame.. :headbang:
VTypeV4
Regular