You are here

Looking for basic 32bit video trimming and mixing program

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Looking for basic 32bit video trimming and mixing program

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:03 am

After dealing with one of the worst programs I can ever recall (openshot). Keeps crashing and closing down loosing all my work and if it manages to, saves the file with all the sound crashed out.

Im looking for a basic program that will run on a 32 bit machine. I have made 3 separate video and audio recordings of the same song with the cameras in 3 positions that I wish to combine bit of each of them into one movie.

Openshot lets you do this (in theory)

Re: Looking for basic 32bit video trimming and mixing program

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:24 am

Hi again night ans day,

Once again, as I mentioned on your previous thread, I've used Windows Movie Maker to merge different clips with attached sound. I've found it rather 'clunky' to use, but it has nevertheless worked well for me thus far. Here's my YouTube channel - I used WMM on all four of these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/YewTreeMagic

I'm on a 64-bit Windows PC, but I'm sure that Windows XP that you use had a 32-bit version that you could use that's probably a free download from Microsoft.

No doubt folk more experienced than me with video will recommend more sophisticated software, but all I can say is that WMM has worked thus far for me.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm not sure whether it is possible to get hold of a copy of Windows Movie Maker nowadays - I couldn't find one when I wanted to use it recently. However, basic video editing is built in to Reaper so I'm using that nowadays. It will run on Windows XP as well as more recent systems but you may also need to install VLC to allow it to handle different video formats.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Hi again night ans day,

Once again, as I mentioned on your previous thread, I've used Windows Movie Maker to merge different clips with attached sound. I've found it rather 'clunky' to use, but it has nevertheless worked well for me thus far. Here's my YouTube channel - I used WMM on all four of these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/YewTreeMagic

Hi Martin
I can't watch your video at the moment, but in my WMM it only give you the option of one timeline for video and one timeline for audio. With open shot there where at least 5 or 6.

What that means is I can't line up 3 different videos from the start of the time line and trim them like that. (if that makes sense). I would upload an image file hear to show you what I mean, but I don't know how to do it

This is the BBC guide lines
Adding attachments into a post
Attachments can now be placed in any part of a post by using the new [attachment=][/attachment] BBCode, if the attachments functionality has been enabled by a board administrator and if you are given the appropriate permissions to create attachments. Within the posting screen is a drop-down box (respectively a button) for placing attachments inline.

looks like the option is not there

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:03 pm

James Perrett wrote:I'm not sure whether it is possible to get hold of a copy of Windows Movie Maker nowadays - I couldn't find one when I wanted to use it recently.
WMM comes already installed with win xp OS. There is an open source Microsoft site (and I can not remember the name of it at the moment) that lets you download all there free old programs (if I remember I will post back)

James Perrett wrote:However, basic video editing is built in to Reaper so I'm using that nowadays. It will run on Windows XP as well as more recent systems but you may also need to install VLC to allow it to handle different video formats.
Did not know that, will download it and see how I get on
VLC?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 pm

night ans day wrote:Did not know that, will download it and see how I get on
It would appear that Reaper dose not support mp4 files; as when I click and drag the file into the box it converts it to audio (building peaks). But it dose except jpg. image file though

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:36 pm

night ans day wrote:
It would appear that Reaper dose not support mp4 files; as when I click and drag the file into the box it converts it to audio (building peaks). But it dose except jpg. image file though

Prism Video Converter is free and will convert loads of video formats into loads of others! I used it before I had a more comprehensive video editing and production suite.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:36 pm

night ans day wrote:

VLC is available from https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-w ... en-GB.html. Reaper uses the codecs that it installs to open a wider range of formats than it supports on its own. It can also use FFMpeg codecs as well.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby hobbyist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:02 am

night ans day wrote:After dealing with one of the worst programs I can ever recall (openshot). Keeps crashing and closing down loosing all my work and if it manages to, saves the file with all the sound crashed out.

Im looking for a basic program that will run on a 32 bit machine. I have made 3 separate video and audio recordings of the same song with the cameras in 3 positions that I wish to combine bit of each of them into one movie.

Openshot lets you do this (in theory)

Check reviews and pick one:
Active and stable
Avidemux (Linux, FreeBSD, macOS, Windows)
Blender VSE (Linux, FreeBSD, macOS, Windows)
Cinelerra (Linux, FreeBSD)
FFmpeg (Linux, macOS, Windows) – CLI only; no visual feedback
Kdenlive (Linux, FreeBSD, macOS, Windows)
LiVES (BSD, IRIX, Linux, Solaris)
OpenShot Video Editor (FreeBSD, Linux, macOS, Windows)
Pitivi (Linux, FreeBSD)
Shotcut (Linux, FreeBSD, macOS, Windows)

Freeware or Freemium products
Free/Open source
Active
ActivePresenter (Windows) – Also screencast software
DaVinci Resolve (macOS, Windows, Linux)
Freemake Video Converter (Windows)
iMovie (iOS, macOS)
ivsEdits (Windows)
Lightworks (Windows, Linux, macOS)
Microsoft Photos (Windows)[1]
Screencast-O-Matic (Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Chrome OS)[2]
showbox.com (Windows, macOS)
VideoPad Home Edition (Windows, macOS, iPad, Android)
VSDC Free Video Editor (Windows)
WeVideo (Web app)
hobbyist
Regular

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:47 am

James Perrett wrote:
VLC is available from https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-w ... en-GB.html. Reaper uses the codecs that it installs to open a wider range of formats than it supports on its own. It can also use FFMpeg codecs as well.
That's a video player program, I already have it installed on my PC!

I don't see how it is supposed to edit videos

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:17 am

night ans day wrote:
James Perrett wrote:
That's a video player program, I already have it installed on my PC!

I don't see how it is supposed to edit videos

It can decode, encode and transcode them. As James said, Reaper uses the codecs that VLC installs.

Youtube: How To Edit Video In Reaper
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:38 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
It can decode, encode and transcode them. As James said, Reaper uses the codecs that VLC installs.

Youtube: How To Edit Video In Reaper
followed all that and simply not worked so not going to waste any more time with it, this program is simply not designed to do what I want! I will try the above program mention above when I get more time tomorrow

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:34 am

LIghtworks maintains its 32 bit version.

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=c ... =206&tab=0
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:58 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Prism Video Converter is free and will convert loads of video formats into loads of others! I used it before I had a more comprehensive video editing and production suite.
After getting well into this program in the last two days, learning how to use it.
After trying to save yet another test run I was working on; I was told that "we hope you enjoyed your free trail of videopad professional and have used it many, professional feathers, please buy video pad now to use this feacher"

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:32 am

night ans day wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Prism Video Converter is free and will convert loads of video formats into loads of others! I used it before I had a more comprehensive video editing and production suite.
After getting well into this program in the last two days, learning how to use it.
After trying to save yet another test run I was working on; I was told that "we hope you enjoyed your free trail of videopad professional and have used it many, professional feathers, please buy video pad now to use this feacher"

It appears you downloaded the wrong version, namely the paid pro version. On their website it does state:

Prism is the most stable and comprehensive multi-format video converter available and is very easy to use.

- Convert or compress video files within minutes
- Universal video converter supporting all popular formats
- Batch video conversion to convert multiple videos at once
- Free version available for non-commercial use (see below)

Get it Free. A free version is available for non-commercial use only. The free video converter supports fewer encoding formats for home use. You can download the free version here.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:00 pm

I did not download the program from there web site, I downloaded it from inside a program called
prism video file convector and followed the "suite" link and that is where I found "Video pad video editing software".

Everytime I saved a file I was prompted to purchase the program but given the option of "I will purchase later". But after a good couple of dozen goes at saving files I was then told I need to purchase the product to continue and I was given a dialog box where I needed to enter a validation code in, there where (as I remember) 2 hyper links to there web site to purchase the code, but bough links where broken!
Eddy Deegan wrote:Get it Free. A free version is available for non-commercial use only. The free video converter supports fewer encoding formats for home use. You can download the free version here.[/i]

I uninstalled my current versions of prism video file convector and prism video pad video editor and downloaded the one you linked to and installed it and followed the steps listed above. I must say it looks identical in everyway to the last version I was using, but it is now letting me save files. If it is the same version as what I was using before then uninstalling and reinstalling the program is the answer to free use, or any use to the program for that matter since there is no option to purchase it. I will let you know how it goes on over the next few days and post back

Cheers

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:25 pm

night ans day wrote:I will let you know how it goes on over the next few days and post back
This time after only 2 saves, I have been taken to the same dialog box as before and asked again to input my serial number to continue using the program

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Hmm....

I downloaded and installed the afore-mentioned Prism Video FIle Converter (free version) yesterday after reading about it here, but haven't yet spent enough time with it to run into problem areas.

However, if it really does impose save restrictions after a few operations, why not try Any Video Converter, which I have used on various occasions without running into such problems:

https://www.any-video-converter.com/pro ... ideo_free/

Once again, this is described as a Free Download, but I do sometimes wonder if some developers use this description to mean you can download it for free, but it will eventually ask you for a payment. Such is the devious way of the world nowadays :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:07 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Hmm....

I downloaded and installed the afore-mentioned Prism Video FIle Converter (free version) yesterday after reading about it here, but haven't yet spent enough time with it to run into problem areas.
what you have there is simply a file manager; after that you need to download each program there on afterwards

Martin Walker wrote:
why not try Any Video Converter, which I have used on various occasions without running into such problems:

Thanks! will give it a go soon and post back. 32 bit for win xp right?

Martin Walker wrote: but I do sometimes wonder if some developers use this description to mean you can download it for free, but it will eventually ask you for a payment. Such is the devious way of the world nowadays :headbang:
And that's classed as fraud! Such as deemed an acceptable crime nowadays :headbang:

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 am

Martin Walker wrote: why not try Any Video Converter, which I have used on various occasions without running into such problems:

Dose not work mate
https://www.dropbox.com/s/68bhqsrg9r166ez/SOS.JPG?dl=0