You are here

Converting a midi button to a sustain pedal?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Converting a midi button to a sustain pedal?

Postby jszy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:58 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you can use a midi button on a midi controller as a sustain pedal...
I use Ableton LIve for my live sounds, and usually bring along a Logidy UMI3 footswitch controller. Is there any way to map the footswitch button to the sustain cc control in a particular instrument??

Thanks for any help, in advance!

Jason
jszy
Poster

Re: Converting a midi button to a sustain pedal?

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:48 am

It is certainly possible, but for sustain you will need the pedal to act as a momentary switch and have it set to MIDI controller number 64. Looking at the control software for that pedal it may be possible, but without sitting in front of it it's not clear.

Essentially you want a CC64/127 to be sent on pedal press and a CC64/0 to be sent on release. The software seems to suggest this is possible.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby jszy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:51 pm

thanks a lot for the information!

So, are you saying that the cc mapping should be done in the control software? but not in Ableton Live?
jszy
Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Since you will need to switch on momentary operation it will likely need to be done in the control software.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.