You are here

How do I know if I have a USB 3.0 on Laptop?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: How do I know if I have a USB 3.0 on Laptop?

Postby Wonks » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:30 am

blinddrew wrote:Dunno about that, my HP is exactly the same. You can tell the USB3 ones by the SS logo.

Ah, that's your Ex-Prince Harry one, isn't it?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:02 am

night ans day wrote:I would uploaded an image myself but not allowed; so when I plug a USB 3 device into a USB 2 hub, I get a message saying this device will run faster plugged into a USB 3 hub

Yes, this is perfectly true, although in the real world the differences may not be as large as you expect.

USB 3.0 can handle up to 5gbps, which is over ten times as fast as USB2's 480mbps. However, it's still comparatively rare to find a USB 3.0 flash drive that actually matches the top speed of USB 3.0. In practice, most apparently max out at 800mbps or less, which is only twice that of USB 2.0.

For instance, I have a Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 external drive, and plugged into a USB 3.0 port it typically manages around 700mbps, so plugging that into a USB 2.0 port would probably only knock around 30% off its average transfer rate.

Yes, a longer search (and higher price) may find you a USB3 flash drive offering a read speed of up to 1.6gbps, but that's still less than half the capability of the USB 3.0 connection.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
For instance, I have a Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 external drive, and plugged into a USB 3.0 port it typically manages around 700mbps, so plugging that into a USB 2.0 port would probably only knock around 30% off its average transfer rate.

Yes, a longer search (and higher price) may find you a USB3 flash drive offering a read speed of up to 1.6gbps, but that's still less than half the capability of the USB 3.0 connection.
Unless you where using USB as a master driver or booting up from it (which is very rear) then I fail to see much point in having a fast terminal USB port if all you are going to do is transfer files from it, as its rearlly used

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Wonks wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Dunno about that, my HP is exactly the same. You can tell the USB3 ones by the SS logo.

Ah, that's your Ex-Prince Harry one, isn't it?
I am ashamed to say that I only just got this. :(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous