You are here

Graphics Card System Failure Notification

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Graphics Card System Failure Notification

Postby BillPhillips » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:31 pm

If you experience unexplained error notifications from your graphics card software shortly after startup, try powering up your audio interface before you power up your PC. It works for me. If I don't power up my Focusrite 18i8 USB audio interface before restart or power up of my PC, I receive this notification:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag9MrIdQMNIZn2iFlVHoFN9zk5t1?e=chlfi8.

To avoid surges and hardware damage, I've always powered up my audio hardware starting with the audio output source and working through to the speakers (PC > Audio Interface > Monitor Controller > Monitors). But, now I power up the Audio Interface before the PC to avoid the Radeon notification at the link above. My graphics card is a AMD RX 580. I had the same problem with my earlier AMD R7 250.

I'm posting this thinking that I'm not the only person with this problem. Neither AMD or PC forums were any help.
BillPhillips
Regular

Slow but sloppy.

Re: Graphics Card System Failure Notification

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:48 am

I saw it for the first time in recent testing and seemed to crop up whenever I swapped the mainboards about. Normally refreshing the Radeon driver solved it for me, even if I was just reinstalling the same one again over the old one.

Some other notes on it here.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/de ... em-solved/

The Tl;dr of it is that it's the driver falling over due to changes in the background. Sometimes triggered by a certain update or action taking place, it appears to be the driver is being super sensitive to changes where normally we wouldn't expect it to be.

I'll fully admit to having no idea why the hell it's knocking out your GPU through by enabling your Interface after bootup. Just to kick around a theory through, your GPU should have audio over HDMI functionality built into it.

If I was to guess then enabling your audio card is switching the system audio from the default "over HDMI" setting (defaulted due to not having the USB one turned on) and when the interface fires up it forces it the driver is spitting its dummy. Behaviour that absolutely shouldn't happen and I've not seen it happen but it's the best theory I have given the data available.

I guess we can put it to the test through if you fancy having a go at it.

Dive into device manager and disable the AMD GPU audio outputs and for bonus points reinstall your GPU driver again, choose the "clean install option" and don't allow it to install the "audio over HDMI" components.

Recreate the test. In this situation, the driver not being there will prevent it from loading the HDMI audio component and so there shouldn't be any attempt to switch away from anything AMD related when you turn on the interface and thus nothing to crash.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby BillPhillips » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 pm

Pete Kaine wrote: I saw it for the first time in recent testing and seemed to crop up whenever I swapped the mainboards about. Normally refreshing the Radeon driver solved it for me, even if I was just reinstalling the same one again over the old one.

Some other notes on it here.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/de ... em-solved/

It's comforting to know that this problem is pretty common and it's been around for a while. I've tried all the options in that article based on recommendations from AMD. Makes me wonder if AMD's troubleshooting recommendations were derived from the article. :?:

Pete Kaine wrote: If I was to guess then enabling your audio card is switching the system audio from the default "over HDMI" setting (defaulted due to not having the USB one turned on) and when the interface fires up it forces it the driver is spitting its dummy. Behaviour that absolutely shouldn't happen and I've not seen it happen but it's the best theory I have given the data available.

I like your hypothesis. I have the AMD HDMI and motherboard HD audio devices disabled. So the Focusrite 18i8 is the only available audio interface. I wondered if for some reason the Radeon Wattman just couldn't go on without an audio interface. So, I tried powering up the 18i8 before starting up the PC. And it worked! For me that's an acceptable work-around and has solved my problem for now.

Pete Kaine wrote: I guess we can put it to the test through if you fancy having a go at it.

Thanks Pete, but I'm going to stick with my work-around until it quits working. According to the article, that might happen when I get around to replacing my old VGA 2nd monitor. I have not been able to get the VGA monitor to work with the RX 580, and I've given up trying; but I do plan to replace it with a DisplayPort monitor once I decide that I can no longer live without a 2nd monitor.

Thanks for all the your help with this and all the other problems you've helped me with over the years. I'm pretty happy with my DAW for now. The RX 580 really improved performance with graphics intensive plugins. Also, Focusrite has released 3rd generation drivers that seem to have boosted the performance of my 1st generation 18i8 even more than the 2nd generation drivers did. So life is good. For now. :?
BillPhillips
Regular

Slow but sloppy.

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:20 pm

BillPhillips wrote: So life is good. For now. :?

That's the main thing! (and thanks :) )
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio