You are here

Latest windows update has knocked out my Korg nanokontrol2

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Latest windows update has knocked out my Korg nanokontrol2

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 pm

Well, the title gives the background! Massive windows update last night (took 3 hours) and trying to work this morning I discovered my nanokontrol2 wasn't working. Gone through another reboot cycle this evening and still no dice.
There's definitely power reaching it because the light is on, but going into the Kontrol Editor it's showing as unconnected. However it's showing under the windows list of attached devices and Device Manager says it's working correctly. The Events tab here shows a successful install late last night, and the latest drivers I've just installed. But it also says the device 'requires further installation'.
But it also doesn't appear as a selectable device in the Behringer Virtual Display software or and it's showing as Not Attached in Reaper.
It's connected to a USB hub along with my mouse and computer, that is showing as connected (as is the nano) but it's not consuming any bandwidth.

Any suggestions?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Latest windows update has knocked out my Korg nanokontrol2

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 pm

P.S. forgot to say, I've raised a ticket with Korg as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Had an update from Korg (good response time :thumbup: ) with a set of instructions to follow, will give that a go tomorrow night and update again in case anyone else starts having similar problems.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:52 am

Hmm, Korg's suggested solution hasn't worked.
In case anyone else is having (or about to have) similar issues, the updates that appears to have knocked it out are:
KB4505903
KB4508433

(assuming I'm reading this correctly).

Any suggestions gratefully received as it's surprising how much not having this working is slowing down my workflow! :(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:57 am

Ok, this update typed on my phone because my keyboard and mouse have both just stopped working. They're on the same hub and port as the Korg... hmm.

EDIT: unplugging and replugging the hub has brough back my keyboard and mouse but even giving the korg its own socket hasn't got any further.
Ho hum.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:54 am

blinddrew wrote:Hmm, Korg's suggested solution hasn't worked.
In case anyone else is having (or about to have) similar issues, the updates that appears to have knocked it out are:
KB4505903

Well, as that's the one with the DPC fix in it.... erm... bugger.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby CS70 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:09 am

Something you could try is to take a system restore point, and then delete all the USB roots from your machine in the device manager and then scan for new hardware again - plug and play is gonna re-discover them and might help.

If you look the update history, does it look like all updates have installed correctly?
Do you see any error in the event viewer?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:11 am

I've had a similar issue, with the ICON QCON, and the fix was sent to me by ICON. Apparently there is a 10 MIDI device limit but it only affects some MIDI devices, Korg being one of them and the ICON QCON another.

Apparently if a device gets shifted to 10 +1 it won't work anymore and ICON sent me some software from Korg that fixes this. Even USB MIDI devices that have been deleted stay in the registry, so you can say to yourself, "Hang on I only have 5 hardware USB MIDI devices" yes but they remain in the system, so much for uninstall software!

The Korg Software (sorry I am not at my Music Computer at the moment) list all MIDI devices, including the 'deleted' ones and it lets you remove the deleted one's completely, I guess what it does is scours the registry and removes all traces of USB MIDI devices. I did make a note of one of the URLs I stumbled upon when trying to fix the problem.....

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/a ... indows-10-

I'd never had this problem before until I did the latest big Win10 update. There is another website that deals with the 10 port problem, apparently originally a WInXP problem. What I can't understand is why everything was working fine on Win10, until the update. Anyway this other website shows what meddling you have to do in the Registry, and I did get my ICON QCON working.

I used to leave my Music Computer disconnected from the internet then found I was a year behind with updates, so I went for it, and then spent 3 days getting things working again. And I do of course do regular drive images. Another thing I found useful was I made a copy of the Win10 User Settings folder. If I cannot be bothered doing that I always make a System Restore before making a change.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:39 am

Ah, software as a service. Welcome to a bright future of unstable configuration changes and a reckless disregard for any customizations you may have made. It's the reason I switched to Apple for my music computer and spent years pulling my hair out learning OSX. Were I more motivated I would start a rival company that produced a stable OS, Unfortunately chip makers are in on the game and license management is becoming hardware based.

Don't worry though, default security settings mean all your data is being ported out to microsoft with your implied consent and it only takes up resources most of the time. I now manage my WIN10 laptop through Group Policy and registry edits which I don't recommend for casual users. I have been able to defeat updates but have to reset a couple of timers now and again. It's important to realize Microsoft cannot be trusted and do not value or respect you.

Good luck!
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby N i g e l » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Currently I have 3 issues to fix on Windows 10, 1903

[1] headphone output on my tower PC stopped working. Audio d`river is no longer compatible with windows 10

[2] headphone output on laptop stopped working & plugging in headphones didnt switch off the internal speakers.
I have since discovered I now have 2 options for sound -

*a speakers only option &
*speakers + headphones, this is the one which disconnects speakers when headphones are plugged in.

[3] THR10 amp editor app - works ok on my Tower but not the laptop.
The program is running somewhere but with no display. Alt-Tabbing shows the window but its blank/white, it should have controls and buttons etc.

Its as if the graphics output is going to a different graphics layer which is hidden.

There is an known problem when returning to a single screen from having the desk top shared across two screens, maybe its that ?
N i g e l
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 pm

The good news is I kind of have a fix. Unplugged every USB device apart from the keyboard and mouse, cleared the USB stuff in device manager and rebooted. Started connecting things again, one by one, and rebooted again and I now have the Korg (and everything else) playing nicely in Reaper.
Weirdly it's still not showing as connected via the Korg editor (or via the Behringer display) but as long as I don't want to make any changes to the configuration I'm ok.
So we'll call that progress and crack on for now.
If I get another update from Korg I'll let you know.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:37 pm

blinddrew wrote:So we'll call that progress and crack on for now.

that is good news. :thumbup:

Yamaha were not able to provide a fix/solution for my THR10 editor problem so I have gone to microsoft.
2 mugs of tea later the problem has been escalated to the level-2 support team and a big download is inprogress.
N i g e l
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:25 pm

fingers crossed...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:30 am

Still no solution for me I am afraid, after several hours of in-depth, low latency support from Microsoft.
The ball is back in Yamahas court. I think I will start a more specific thread.
N i g e l
Regular