You are here

Windows 10 update 1903, THR10 editor no display

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 update 1903, THR10 editor no display

Postby N i g e l » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:35 am

When I updated my laptop to W10 v 1903 I discovered that the THR editor no longer worked.

It still works on my tower PC after update but not the laptop.

Basically, I think the editor program still runs but the display and control panel are being sent somewhere which isn’t on my PC screen.

The THR10 unit is still ok [& Steinberg drivers] and puts out USB audio in Windows & Cakewalk.

I will try and show a screen capture to explain....

On clicking the desktop icon to start, the icon appears in the task bar as running however no application window is seen.

Hovering the mouse over the taskbar icon brings up the editor thumbnail [1] which is shown as running but with a blank/white window [should have knobs, switches and lists of presets].

The blank window can also be seen when ALT-TABing [2] to select the active window.

Task manager [3] shows the THR10 editor as running.

If I drop a preset file on top of the editor it will pop up a window to ask if I want to save the old settings – so it must be running ?

Yamaha gave me some basic advice on uninstall/reinstall. Then I went to Microsoft support – who spent a couple of hours tidying up the registry, regenerating W10 with a download & repair but still no joy.

They advised getting back to YAMAHA again.

Anyone have any ideas/clues as to whats happening ?

:(
N i g e l
Regular

Re: Windows 10 update 1903, THR10 editor no display

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:25 pm

I'd take a stab at some kind of GPU rendering issue as you've already suggested in the shape of a related Direct X redraw issue. DX is the native Microsoft graphics library and I've seen plenty of instances where it needs one version but doesn't have the correct one so it can sometimes open but white out completely. I would expect to see at least a white box here, but as you can only see it on the preview bar then this doesn't quite line up with my experience but doesn't rule it out.

DX is leveraged by the GPU and whilst you can't manually update Direct X yourself (so make sure your windows is bang up to date), it might be worth bringing your GPU drivers up to date as they are the other half of the equation.

It's weird that it's happening on only 1 of the two units, but assuming both of them are now on 1903 it does seem to suggest that it's possibly a hardware driver related issue, because those are no doubt different between the two systems.

What's the GPU solution on the laptop and what's on the desktop? It could, of course, be other components (or I could be wrong on the components line of thought) but I'm focusing on the software open but not visible and working back from there to explain my trian of thought.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby N i g e l » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for spending time with this

my systems are

DESKTOP:
Windows 10 home v 1903, build 18362.267
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA970A UD3
CPU: AMD FX 8320
NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, Driver 22/5/2019 – 26.21.14.3086
Crucial 500G SSD, CT500MX500SSD1,Driver 21/6/2006, 10.0.18362.1

LAPTOP:
Windows 10 home 1903 18362.267, 8/8/2019
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14-ba1xx
[very foldable- does laptop, tent & tablet mode. Graphics flip to suit]
Intel i5-8250 1.6GHz
SanDisk 500G SSD SD8SN8U-128G-1006. 21/6/2006, 10.0.18362.1
Intel UHD Graphics 620 , 14/9/2018, 24.20.100.6346

I thought I had the Intel RST somewhere but Ive forgotten where to find it.
I did check it and it was uptodate & out of the 1903 incompatibility era.
N i g e l
Regular

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Sometimes setting the screen resolution way down will reveal an errant window. Resize it very small and put it in the middle of the screen then go back to normal resolution.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 am

resistorman wrote:Sometimes setting the screen resolution way down will reveal an errant window

Thanks but still the same Im afraid.

I also looked at cascading windows and taking a screen print/capture.

Your suggestion prompted me to search for orphaned windows problems - there are a few which occur when changing from multiple display support, if the program was displayed on a monitor other than the primary monitor before multiple display support was disabled.

(I had been connected to my TV to use iPlayer around about the time tha problem occurred)
N i g e l
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 am

Just to make sure, do you have the lastest drivers for your video card?

Sometimes after a major update some massaging can be in order.

That's because some software (often the video driver, in the name of speed or memory optimization) uses some control sequence which is actually incorrect, but works with a specific version of the related windows subsystem (say DirectX). But if an update improves the subsystem, suddenly the buggy client no longer works.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:42 am

I wouldn't expect Intel RST to have an impact here as it's storage level, that said it'd be available from Intel's site somewhere through.

Try updating with this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... aphics-620

Which should be the current edition of your laptop GPU drivers.

They've also got an auto checker too, although it's a little patchy from experience, it might find something that a manual install might otherwise miss: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... etect.html
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby N i g e l » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Still the same problem
:(

YAMAHA have also suggested it is possibly a graphics driver problem too.
They also suggested putting the current driver into different orientations & resolutions to see if there is a flaw in the incompatibility.

I have been to the HP [OEM] site and updated quite a few bits and pieces on the laptop but not the video drivers as I have the "latest" version.
That "latest" version is pre the W10 1903 update, so its quite old really.

Its always recommended to update from the OEM site rather than Intel as the OEM may modify the driver or at least give at a good test.
The intel driver is more advanced and mentions v1903 so maybe HP are processing it as we speak.

I did download the latest Intel driver but when I tried to install it, it was refused

:smirk:

You are not allowed to install this driver update on your machine - please visit your OEM

:lol:

I shall wait for the OEM update and report back.

MORAL: if youve got somthing important comming up, hit the delay updates option or disconnect from the internet !

Pete Kaine wrote:I wouldn't expect Intel RST to have an impact here as it's storage level,

I think the problem with the RST was that it stopped the W10 1903 from completing rather than causing an incompatibility issue. I wasnt affected so I dont know the details.

Any way, thanks everybody for your help & see you later !
N i g e l
Regular