You are here

Cubase Controller

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cubase Controller

Postby Chromeman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 pm

I recently bought an Icon Platform Nano to run with Cubase 10 thinking it was the answer to everything, motorised fader, buttons, rotary encoders, display etc but it's pants. Fader doesn't follow automation half the time, buttons won't de-activate etc etc so am looking for an alternative. The Steinberg CC121 seems good but very expensive -anything else to consider? I only need one fader so was maybe thinking about the faderport 2? Any suggestions?
Chromeman
Regular

Re: Cubase Controller

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Single fader option: https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... tEQAvD_BwE
(other suppliers are available ;) )
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Chromeman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 pm

Looks interesting, missed this one completely, and it seems good value. will check it out. Thanks.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Chromeman wrote:I recently bought an Icon Platform Nano to run with Cubase 10 thinking it was the answer to everything, motorised fader, buttons, rotary encoders, display etc but it's pants. Fader doesn't follow automation half the time, buttons won't de-activate etc etc so am looking for an alternative. The Steinberg CC121 seems good but very expensive -anything else to consider? I only need one fader so was maybe thinking about the faderport 2? Any suggestions?

I experienced one 'gotcha' with single fader controllers is that the fader doesn't always follow the mixer. For example say you have the focus on track 3 (be it midi/audio/instrument or whatever track type) and the using the mouse you select track 17, the focus is not automatically changed to track 17 on the controller, you have to back across to track 17

As it happens I have an ICON QCON which replaced a Mackie MCU Pro and it works perfectly.

I also use an ancient Evolution UC-33 which I use to control my UAD plugins and out of interest I set up the master fader to control channel faders (in Cubase) and the controller fader does follow the mixer fader selection!

I did this using the Cubase 'learn' function and after reading an excellent SOS article in the SOS archives that covers controller issues
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jaminem » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:43 am

I went round this loop for a while....had a faderport, then a cmc-ai, I even rocked Dave B’s old Houston for a while. Then I bit the bullet and got the CC121. Yes it was expensive but it’s very very good for Cubase. The best I have tried in fact. The X Touch is worth a look as is the Faderport 2, but I’d be surprised if they were more intuitive than the CC.

It’s just right for Cubase. Sometimes it’s worth waiting, saving and getting the proper thing.
jaminem
Frequent Poster