You are here

Windows app install - fails and retries every time the PC is rebooted

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows app install - fails and retries every time the PC is rebooted

Postby Agharta » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:46 pm

Update: Just phoned him and it's been sorted. :thumbup:

A neighbour asked for my help after buying a new printer and having issues with the software.
The drivers are fine so seemingly one of the extra bits of software is causing the issue; all from a CD.
It fails to install and just hangs and he can’t shut down the installer and then next time he boots the PC the same thing happens.
It doesn’t impact Windows itself but is annoying.
It’s running Vista, which is out of support by now so maybe it’s time he bought a new one!
Anyway, I’m sure there’s a place where installers that launch on a restart are registered and this one can be removed.
Any ideas where? Thanks

PS: Canon PIXMA MG3650.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Windows app install - fails and retries every time the PC is rebooted

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:50 pm

In my many years of PC experience, printers have repeatedly ended up causing the most frustration, especially those that:

1. Insist that the printer drivers need installing every single time you switch on the printer, even though the existing drivers have worked for many months :madas:

2. Throw a wobbly if you don't use official printer cartridges, or even worse, do so after you update the printer drivers because they've tightened up their ink security regime :headbang:

3. Decide that you need to install several new ink cartridges in different colours simply because you haven't printed anything for a few weeks, so the printer assumes that everything must have dried up and be useless :beamup:

:mrgreen:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby OneWorld » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Agharta wrote:Update: Just phoned him and it's been sorted. :thumbup:

A neighbour asked for my help after buying a new printer and having issues with the software.
The drivers are fine so seemingly one of the extra bits of software is causing the issue; all from a CD.
It fails to install and just hangs and he can’t shut down the installer and then next time he boots the PC the same thing happens.
It doesn’t impact Windows itself but is annoying.
It’s running Vista, which is out of support by now so maybe it’s time he bought a new one!
Anyway, I’m sure there’s a place where installers that launch on a restart are registered and this one can be removed.
Any ideas where? Thanks

PS: Canon PIXMA MG3650.

I suppose the first place I'd start is the startup folder, and install cCleaner or similar that shows what things run at startup.

I also use some freeware called Agent Ransack, this allows a thorough search of the PC and then open regedit and see if you can find any reference to pixma, and/or mg3650, that said having found it you might not be ab;led to remove it.

There is also the the console software that basically shows everything that loads/runs/is invoked but I can never remember the command line that starts it up - I think it might be msconfig

There's always Google as well, you can bet someone else has encountered the problem.

Vista is long gone of course and printer behaviour on Win10 is much better but on my installation for some reason the printer has installed twice over, there are 2 instances showing and sometimes I have to manually switch from one printer to the other before I print, it seems to change the default printer just to wind me up
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks All.
I did update the post to show he had resolved it. :thumbup:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)