You are here

new pc - do I need a dedicated graphics card?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

new pc - do I need a dedicated graphics card?

Postby Ken P » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:38 pm

hi folks

pls excuse absence of caps - shift key broken on old macbook pro.

with help from forum members i'm speccing my return to windows music making and looking at a nice new i9 tower from scan.

what are you opinions on the benefits of a dedicated graphics card over the onboard graphics on, say, the ASUS PRIME Intel Z390-A [copy and pasted caps] https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/products/info/2987679

i'm not a gamer but sometimes, rarely really, do music to picture work. i sometimes dabble with max. but i reckon that i can always add a graphics card later if i get stuck.
Ken P
Regular

Re: new pc - do I need a dedicated graphics card?

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 pm

My main audio machine is long in the tooth, but I use its onboard graphics for 2 monitors. I would hope the new cpus have decent graphics, especially compared to a Haswell!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Most modern onboard graphics capabilities are pretty strong. The broadsheet for the Intel Z390 chipset on this board says

"Intel® UHD Graphics on 9th and 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processors provide eye-popping 4K UHD resolutions. Experience more immersive gaming with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Rec. 2020 (Wide Color Gamut) support. Playback your favorite videos with color precision via native true 10-bit graphics output. Watch the latest 4K UHD premium content on your PC from leading online providers. With up to three independent, DisplayPort* and/or HDMI* displays supported with the Intel® Z390 chipset, you can immerse yourself into your gaming experience."
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:33 pm

If you do set up a Windows DAW environment, plan for disruptions when they send magic updates that bork your drivers :-P :shh:
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby resistorman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 am

If you get Win 10 pro, you can delay major updates a year and all others up to 35 days. I do that on my older machines. However, I’m allowing all upgrades of everything pretty quickly including bios on my recent Ryzen build, since kinks are getting worked out on the relatively new platform. Maybe it will be all sorted out by the time I have to replace my geriatric Haswell lol
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:41 am

With the right connector options included on the board, that Intel onboard GPU can push 3 screens, although 2 output options tend to be most common with most mainboards.

It's fairly easy to block updates on W10 home, just Google up "windows 10 update blocker" and you'll find a few dozen apps to do so.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 am

Ken P wrote:what are you opinions on the benefits of a dedicated graphics card over the onboard graphics

In very general terms, GCs have more and faster-access dedicated memory and supporting in hardware more primitives than need otherwise to be processed in software. In short they're faster.

Whether or not speed is relevant to you, only you can say. With video work, the main advantage are that you can keep real time previews with effects with better quality and faster final rendering time (both depending on the application you use).

Generally audio work is not graphics-intensive so the GC is not that important.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Ken P wrote:
what are you opinions on the benefits of a dedicated graphics card over the onboard graphics on, say, the ASUS PRIME Intel Z390-A [copy and pasted caps] https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/products/info/2987679

I just built a Pro Tools box with that Mobo and an i7 processor.

I chose to add a graphics card because they are very inexpensive to give me what I need for the DAW. The mobo onboard graphics uses the cpu for graphics processing. By adding a low end graphics card the graphics is done by the gpu, freeing up the cpu for more VIs and musical stuff.

Onboard graphics is inferior since they assume you are adding a card with a gpu. Treat it as a backup.

You can get a basic graphics card for very little.

Also, once the machine is stable go into control panel and tell windows to NOT update drivers automatically, just the OS.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby hobbyist » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Ken P wrote:hi folks

pls excuse absence of caps - shift key broken on old macbook pro.

with help from forum members i'm speccing my return to windows music making and looking at a nice new i9 tower from scan.

i'm not a gamer but sometimes, rarely really, do music to picture work. i sometimes dabble with max. but i reckon that i can always add a graphics card later if i get stuck.

No but it is a very worthwhile add on that is very useful.
hobbyist
Regular