You are here

W8.1 to W10....any tips beyond mainstream reserach?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

W8.1 to W10....any tips beyond mainstream reserach?

Postby hooty2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Hello,
after all my you tube videos and microsoft research, i'm wanting to upgrade my Windows 8.1 pc to Windows 10.
I'm hoping for help/advice from a pc network IT manager from a local large institution.

I have no installed upgrade option under settings.
I will be backing up and creating image etc.

Does anyone have any advice pertinent to audio beyond the mainstream?

My set up is:
Asus Z97pro (Scanpc build) 3XS system
i7 3.2GHz 16 GB RAM / RAID
I run two UAD USB quad peripherals and an installed USB-2 PCle
RME UFX interface
I run 2 extra screens (HDMI/VGA)

many plug ins, especially Fabfilter, Ozone8/RX6-7, Nectar. HOFA, UAD, Valhalla, Native Instruments....& a few more

any tips out there i may not be aware of from general research?
many thanks
hooty2
Regular

Re: W8.1 to W10....any tips beyond mainstream reserach?

Postby hooty2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:41 pm

pss:
3XS HA97 PowerDAW SSC
not sure of pertinet details here?
hooty2
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Hard to say without knowing in detail what you found in your general research :) but really: no, just give it a try. The odds are in your favor. Clone your disk so should you hit a snag, you can restore quickly.

When I upgraded a laptop a few years ago, the installer didnt want to run because of the internal HDD unit (or something similarly odd, don't remember exactly) and it took some time to debug the issue. All other PCs I've tried have upgraded to W10 without any fuss.

For what's worth I use myself a pCI sound card and a UAD Twin (for the same reason you use satellites - running UAD plugins) and all works flawlessly with W10.

Windows has been rock solid. Just give it a go.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby resistorman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:42 pm

That sounds a lot like my system except for the UAD. I went from Win 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 with no problems. Though I did clean installs each time. Old habits or wisdom?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:12 pm

I've seen a number of users who did an inline upgrade (new over old) do alright for a few months, but a few of the issues that have crept since have been attributed to those following the upgrade path. I'm not saying that's everyone or even the majority but I've heard enough stories (on every generation upgrade, not just this one) that I just run clean installs to save the potential head-scratching.

The other option as already noted is to clone the drive, upgrade the OS and you can fall back to the prior install should it not pan out.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Within the Windows paradigm, a clean istall is probably better.

Prepare yourself to be at the mercy of Software as a Service model on your OS. If you can escape SAAS for OS, that's a far less risky proposition unless you plan to offline/offsight storage and don't mind configuration settings being changed with every update. Especially the firewall needs to be managed closely so that every crap-app-bloatware-you-can't-uninstall-excuse-to-siphon-data is blocked. The only way I've been able to tame MS's rapacious lust for spying is through some serious editing of the registry and I still am not pleased with the horrid use of background processes and simple waste Win10 represents. I still run my primary windows environment on Win7 and moved completely to Mac for recording and professional purposes.

Another thing with Win10 is the release/update schedule is very poorly managed and they have committed numerous very severe blunders with improperly tested releases.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby hooty2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:58 pm

i appreciate these replies and advice.
I'm sharing your thoughts with my tech friend tonight.
many thanks to all
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:27 am

Hi again,
still doing my 'belt & braces' research on this potential upgrade.

Could any kind and patient soul please say in annotated simple english what the following implies :
"...........Can I restore disk images to a CD/DVD or to USB hard drive?
Yes, you can directly restore a Disk Image Backup file to a USB drive or burn it to a CD/DVD.
Note: Restoring a disk image overwrites all the existing drive contents with the image file...."

Should i be using a dedicated external USB portable HD (ie: nothing else on it)
Currently the image i created is on a drive with many other things on it.
OR
as i suspect, the reference is to the drive that is intended target for a reinstall of image and the data on the external drive is unaffected?

Seems basic sense now i've written it out, but just to be sure (pride before a fall!)
thanks in advance
hooty2
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 am

FWIIW. I did the W10 freebie when it came out on a W7 desktop and could only stand it a day or two and rolled back to 7.

Even so damage was done and I have lost a control control panel and functionality for a 2496 soundcard.

This HP laptop and another W7 desktop will therefore remain W7 and I shall buy a modest, refurbed laptop for office and internet duties. I am having trouble at the mo' finding a 15.6" i5 lappy with 8G ram and an SSD I can afford!

I have a pretty old ACPI W7 desktop that basically just runs a printer and a smart TV. I might see if I can get a free W10 go for that as it has an SSD in it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:38 pm

On mobile in Gatwick arrivals, so no big reply.
But, I'm starting to think that way.
Appreciate pragmatic thought!
hooty2
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:45 pm

ef37a wrote:FWIIW. I did the W10 freebie when it came out on a W7 desktop and could only stand it a day or two and rolled back to 7.

Even so damage was done and I have lost a control control panel and functionality for a 2496 soundcard.

This HP laptop and another W7 desktop will therefore remain W7 and I shall buy a modest, refurbed laptop for office and internet duties. I am having trouble at the mo' finding a 15.6" i5 lappy with 8G ram and an SSD I can afford!

I have a pretty old ACPI W7 desktop that basically just runs a printer and a smart TV. I might see if I can get a free W10 go for that as it has an SSD in it.

Dave.

Yes I too am considering an upgrade from WIn10 to Win7. Not that I haven't got Win10 working OK but it is all the flotsom and jetsom that comes with it and of course the updates that break everything .

I kept my disk with WIn7 on it, I use those slide in/out disk caddies, and at first Win10 booted quicker than Win7, not anymore it doesn't, over the years it's gotten slower and slower even though I try and trim it down to the bone
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Peevy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:23 pm

With great trepidation I upgraded my audio PC from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations a couple of days ago. Everything seems to be working fine. DAW, plugins (which I have an embarrassing number of), video software, RME Fireface 802, wireless printer, iLok, internet (only for software updates and printing) all ok.

During the install (which took about 5 hours … probably due to unhealthy plugin numbers) you get a few questions about some apps Windows 10 wants to install. I said no to all of them I think?

My computer has three drives and there were no issues there. There was no need to reinstall any plugins, serial numbers/iLok authorization etc. Everything was just as was. I think it boots and shuts down a bit faster too.

Although, that being said, I haven’t as yet tested it with a full on recording session.

Needless to say, I backed up everything beforehand.

So far so good. Hope it stays that way. (fingers crossed)
Peevy
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Peevy wrote:With great trepidation I upgraded my audio PC from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations a couple of days ago. Everything seems to be working fine. DAW, plugins (which I have an embarrassing number of), video software, RME Fireface 802, wireless printer, iLok, internet (only for software updates and printing) all ok.

During the install (which took about 5 hours … probably due to unhealthy plugin numbers) you get a few questions about some apps Windows 10 wants to install. I said no to all of them I think?

My computer has three drives and there were no issues there. There was no need to reinstall any plugins, serial numbers/iLok authorization etc. Everything was just as was. I think it boots and shuts down a bit faster too.

Although, that being said, I haven’t as yet tested it with a full on recording session.

Needless to say, I backed up everything beforehand.

So far so good. Hope it stays that way. (fingers crossed)

You'll be OK, just make sure you make regular system images because some of those updates can wreak havoc........

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... ows-7.html

The internet is festooned with tales of woe. That's not to say Win10 is a complete krok of krap, it would just be better if it didn't come with all the kludge. There are plenty of tools on the internet that help you trim it down and get it under control. However I feel the days of 100% user control are coming to an end, we are now subsumed by at least one of 5 companies - Google, FB, Amazon, Microsoft and Apple.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:53 pm

And I've never had any proper problems apart from major updates sometimes trashing my desktop preferences, so it's taken a few minutes to put those back. It will all depend on your hardware and software choices. I've been lucky with mine.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853