You are here

Recommend a full HD or 4K PC / TV Monitor with sound

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Recommend a full HD or 4K PC / TV Monitor with sound

Postby TheLegit » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Essentially I have a computer for work, however intend to get a Mac Mini and also want the screen for use playing PS4 as well and watching TV.

So I need a quality TV/ monitor probably max 37 inches with sound and 3 HDMIs for work PC, the Mac Mini and the PS4 !

Anything people can recommend
TheLegit
Regular

Re: Recommend a full HD or 4K PC / TV Monitor with sound

Postby OneWorld » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:25 am

I have both a dedicated Phillips 4K monitor and a Toshiba 4K TV which gives just as clear a display as the Phillips monitor, but for half the cost and of course I have the use of a telly.

Also I can highly recommend a company in Manchester electrical-deals.co.uk, I only paid £180 for the Toshiba TV, and it's a whopping 40 incher, free delivery. They regularly have clearance sales, I think they sell a lot of open box stuff, but it's still guaranteed. I was so pleased with the 40incher that I bought a Toshiba 49incher for the living and it plays all manner of files, even over the network from my home cloud drive HDD. My previous Smart TV would only play MPEG4 and not MPEG2 the Toshers both have 3 HDMI including one HDMI with APC or whatever it's called and 3 USB including 1 USB3, wireless and wired networking

The 40inch Toshiba 'monitor/tv' replaced a lovely 40" ilayma 4K monitor I used to have, until I was cleaning up the desk one day, I knocked the monitor over and it fell face down (like toast!) and that was that a £400+ monitor sent to the city dump :-( I'll think twice before I tidy up again!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks for that are there any considerations that I must take it into account like if you blow up a PC desktop onto a TV it becomes blurry or something as you need some level of pixels
TheLegit
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:51 pm

TheLegit wrote:Thanks for that are there any considerations that I must take it into account like if you blow up a PC desktop onto a TV it becomes blurry or something as you need some level of pixels

Just make sure that you set the PC to use the native resolution of the screen (3840 × 2160).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby N i g e l » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:00 pm

TheLegit wrote: are there any considerations that I must take it into account like if you blow up a PC desktop onto a TV it becomes blurry or something as you need some level of pixels

fixed resolution images like you tube will be more blurry on a bigger screen but for PC use the problem is too much fine detail when the PC rescales everything.

I cant really use my TV in 4K mode with the computer as the text, although still crisp and sharp, becomes to fine to read. Same with Icons although they can quickly be set to a bigger size.

Also not all Apps or VSTs scale, so they become miniaturised and unusable.
For computer use I stick to normal HD settings which avoids the problem.
N i g e l
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm

N i g e l wrote:
TheLegit wrote: are there any considerations that I must take it into account like if you blow up a PC desktop onto a TV it becomes blurry or something as you need some level of pixels

fixed resolution images like you tube will be more blurry on a bigger screen but for PC use the problem is too much fine detail when the PC rescales everything.

I cant really use my TV in 4K mode with the computer as the text, although still crisp and sharp, becomes to fine to read. Same with Icons although they can quickly be set to a bigger size.

Also not all Apps or VSTs scale, so they become miniaturised and unusable.
For computer use I stick to normal HD settings which avoids the problem.

I resized the Win10 text display as well as resizing the icons. I had the font too small issue with my 4K monitor just in the same way I had it with the 4K TV
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)