You are here

cracks when surfing internet

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: cracks when surfing internet

Postby CS70 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Guitarking wrote:checked the event viewer: some things I see:
critical: ID41 kernel power
error: ID2 kernel eventracing
ID13 VSS
warning: ID10016 distributedCOM system

Frankly the event viewer is hard for me to read as I dont understand it but maybe someone can tune in?

It's really not that hard - you just look (or filter) the non-information errors and what's left is what is (or has been) wrong with your system.

For each of the errors there may be more details if you click on the error.

"kernel power" means that the computer has been shut down without warning
"kernel eventracing" - something went wrong at a very low level. The details would tell you what
"VSS" - mh, if you have Volume Shadow Copy enabled, that may explain some of the crackle. Google's your friend for how to turn it off.

"warning: ID10016 distributedCOM system" - there's a good chance this is the culprit. It's a permission error (typically on the registry) for which some DCOM calls (internal calls between applications and windows components) fail, and retry. This retry is the problem: the system work, but it's overloaded with hundreds of pointless retry attempt, which are doomed to fail as the problem is not temporary, but static (wrong permissions).

This is often due to some application installer messing up things (including, in one notorious case a couple years ago, a windows update package itself).

You find online how to fix it (https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/win ... 6.2752271/ ) but before doing so, make a system restore (or be prepared to reinstall the whole shebang).

To diagnose what causes it, you've got to start with a clean install (and a recent copy of Windows), look at the Event viewer (confirming is clean), and add software a little at a time until it isn't.

In any case: the Event Viewer should be clean, no errors at all. If you have errors, you have to investigate them one at a time and solve, because they mean there's something wrong with your system (hardware or software).
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Guitarking » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Are you saying it could be a windows update? Sounds logical as I haven't changed hardware in a while and the crackling was suddenly there.

But the way ran an intel CPU tester and CPU according to this tester seems fine.
Guitarking
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:40 pm

Guitarking wrote:Are you saying it could be a windows update? Sounds logical as I haven't changed hardware in a while and the crackling was suddenly there.

But the way ran an intel CPU tester and CPU according to this tester seems fine.

There was one case last year or two years ago when a major updated messed up the registry permissions.

But more likely it's some app installer. I would also disable the VSS.

When do you reinstall the system, what software do you put on besides the OS?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Guitarking » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:47 pm

I did a OS reinstall (back to factory default including formating harddrive) a few days ago.
I installed:
AVira security/virusscan
RME drivers
Reaper
IK multimedia ARC
Waves plugins
Altiverb
Speccy
Latency mon
Firefox
toontrack superior
spotify
Guitarking
Regular

Postby Guitarking » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:51 pm

OMG!
Deinstalled the AVIRA suite. apparently the suite came with lots of other programs but all I really wanted was the antivrius. So that's all that's left now.

Suddenly Latency Monitor doesn't crash anymore. Also Speccy loads whilst spotify is playing music through Reaper with ARC plugin engaged!
My machine is blazing fast, no cracks (ok 1 but I think because after start up AVira antivirus was still initalising???), internet is fast. Fingers crossed!
Guitarking
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Guitarking wrote:I did a OS reinstall (back to factory default including formating harddrive) a few days ago.
I installed:
AVira security/virusscan
RME drivers
Reaper
IK multimedia ARC
Waves plugins
Altiverb
Speccy
Latency mon
Firefox
toontrack superior
spotify

I would suggest initially to install only Repare and Spotify. Try also Chrome instead of Firefox (just to see if there's something in Firefox). Then see how it is and add the others one at a time.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Guitarking wrote:OMG!
Deinstalled the AVIRA suite. apparently the suite came with lots of other programs but all I really wanted was the antivrius. So that's all that's left now.

Why not just use Windows Defender? Seems to work well enough here.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guitarking » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Thanks everyone for taken the time to help me out!
I'm glad the problem is solved!
Guitarking
Regular

Previous