You are here

Suitable computer for a DAW?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Suitable computer for a DAW?

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 pm

Musec wrote:Perhaps similar tests show similar results when it comes to DAW:s in some areas?

Being as they are more based on plugins (effectively self-contained, fully independent little applications which happen to use the DAW, and not the OS, as a host and provider of basic services), DAWs tend to be way better at multicore and parallel processing that monolithic, single-task oriented applications like Photoshop. Not all of course and I would not be surprise that some DAWs are better than others in that respect.

The same goes with most video NLEs, with effect plugins during preview. There, the graphic card drives also the rendering time. Unlike audio, rendering time of a video is a significant factor in the workflow, so even little performance improvements may translate to physical hours of difference.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Suitable computer for a DAW?

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Musec wrote:I've decided to let a company put all the parts together that I choose so now I have to understand so much about all of this.

Do they have any experience in setting up and tweaking an audio system?
The fact you're doing the legwork would suggest that they don't.

Find yourself a supplier local to you that understands what they are doing with audio setups. If you're stateside (assuming that's an American dollar sign) then you've got half a dozen reputable firms to choose from.

Yes, the build fee is going to be more than $70, but you'll have access to a support team that is experienced in the software you want to run and they'll be able to advise you on pre-tested components that are known not to send the DPC levels scatty.

I can easily see you spending a few days on this, picking the components that the internet thinks are good and then having it built by a firm that has no idea on what they are doing when testing and optimizing for real-time based audio applications.

An extra $100 in exchange for not banging your head against the wall for a few months isn't that bad a deal.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Previous