You are here

Help needed with Emu Patchmix (again!)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Help needed with Emu Patchmix (again!)

Postby Stuart Churchill » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 pm

Hi,
Yes, I know this subject has been covered too many times already, but I really need help here.
I've had my Emu 1212m for over a year and I still can't figure some (most) things out. I can record ok using the 2 analogue inputs, but I want to use the digital ones as well. I'm getting a signal in Patchmix, but not in Cubase. I have tried using SPDIF out from a Lexicon MPX 100, and optical out from a Fostex DMT 8 multitracker but neither work. I've read Martin's November 2005 article many times, but I still can't understand it. I'm pretty sure it's either a routing problem, or settings in Cubase. I'm using Cubase VST 32 5.0. Please help me!
Stuart.
P.S. My apologies for being stupid. :blush:
Stuart Churchill
Regular
Birthday Song 4 U. Personalised Birthday Songs

Re: Help needed with Emu Patchmix (again!)

Postby Stuart Churchill » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:51 pm

I'm pleased to say that the problem has been solved.
Stuart. :)
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby ChrisE » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:06 pm

Well done. I recently had exactly the same problem with my Lexicon and Emu 1212m!
ChrisE

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:05 pm

And it obviously only took you an hour and a half Stuart - well done! ;)

I suspect it was configuring the send from the Patchmix DSP channel to an ASIO input was it?

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: Help needed with Emu Patchmix (again!) MIDI Problem

Postby fizzazz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:27 pm

While PatchMix and the EMU 1212m is on your minds - I could really use some help with MIDI.

I have Cubase SX3 and have not seen any MIDI I/O for six months. No MIDI device I connect shows up in Cubase as a connection option.

One concern is that in the PatchMix config screen, there is a MIDI tab with a couple of buttons displayed. The breakout box one is checked but greyed out. I cannot change any settings. (I don't have the break-out box.)

Please, can anyone who has a 1212m with MIDI working, tell me what you can see on the MIDI configuration tab.

Thanks!
fizzazz
New here

Postby Stuart Churchill » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:And it obviously only took you an hour and a half Stuart - well done! ;)

I suspect it was configuring the send from the Patchmix DSP channel to an ASIO input was it?

Martin

Erm... I'm not sure, Martin. I'm actually a bit confused. I finally got it working by adding a send to PCI card S/PDIF. But it also works if the send is to ASIO 3/4 (or 5/6 etc.). Is one preferable to the other?
One more thing, I now can't get a signal using ADAT. It was OK yesterday using the digital default session. I created a new strip and added a send to ADAT 1/2, but now I can't get any signal. All is OK up to the end of the optical cable.
Stuart.
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:13 pm

Welcome to the SOS Forums fizzazz!

If those buttons are greyed out then perhaps you have a driver or hardware problem? Since the MIDI In/Out of the 1212M package are on the 0202 daughterboard, along with the balanced/unbalanced inputs and outputs, as long as the internal ribbon cable is connected this board to the 1010 PCI card with the DSP card and the drivers are correctly installed, both analogue and MIDI I/O should both work properly.

To check whether the problem is at the Emu or Cubase end, take a look in COntrol Panel at the Sounds & Audio Devices properties - if under MIDI Music playback you have an entry labelled E-DSP MIDI Port then the Emu drivers are up and running - if not, try reinstalling the latest ones over the top.

If they are, and Cubase isn't displaying them as an option then check in the Cubase Device Setup dialog that the MIDI ins and outs are Active and Showing.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Stuart - if you've got a PatchMix DSP channel labelled 'PCI Card S/PDIF L/R' then you can insert a send from it to any unused ASIO input pair to get this stereo digital signal into Cubase.

I suspect your new problem is something to do with the fact that when you're using a digital input the entire Patchmix DSP needs to be clocked from it. So, when adding the 'PCI Card S/PDIF L/R' channel you probably had to choose whether the external source was S/PDIF or ADAT.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Stuart Churchill » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:42 pm

Martin,
Thanks again for the help. I got the ADAT working, but I can't switch between that and S/PDIF. I know the two can't be used together, but I have to create a new session if I want to use ADAT. Should this be so?

Stuart - if you've got a PatchMix DSP channel labelled 'PCI Card S/PDIF L/R' then you can insert a send from it to any unused ASIO input pair to get this stereo digital signal into Cubase.

By this, do you mean insert a send in the channel strip?
Here's a screenshot of the session I created (without the ADAT strip). Am I missing something out?

Stuart.

Edit:
Oh bugger. No image. I'll try to sort it out.
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby Stuart Churchill » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Sorry, I can't seem to get the image on screen.
Try this link.
Stuart
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:20 pm

That screenshot shows a global send from all channels on one of the Aux Effects insert slots. What most people want is a send directly from a single input channel (in your case the one marked PCI Card S/PDIF L/R on strip 5).

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Stuart Churchill » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:40 pm

Martin Walker wrote:That screenshot shows a global send from all channels on one of the Aux Effects insert slots. What most people want is a send directly from a single input channel (in your case the one marked PCI Card S/PDIF L/R on strip 5).

Martin

Does that mean a different send on each channel strip?
What's the reason for that?

Stuart.
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:37 pm

Because most people are wanting to route each different input to a different ASIO input in Cubase, so they can record multiple tracks. However, if you prefer to have one send from the entire PatchMix DSP mixer this does provide the extra versatility of being able to mix together lots of different input signals, add some DSP effects, and send the combined mix as one stereo signal into Cubase.

It's entirely up to you!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Stuart Churchill » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:49 pm

Martin,
Does this mean that if I insert a send from a channel strip to , for example, ASIO IN 3/4 HOST that it goes to track 3/4 in Cubase, and I will hear the FX I insert on the strip? And if so, does that determine whether I can use Multirecord (by inserting sends on multiple channel strips)?
Stuart. (Apologies for being thick as sh*t)
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby fizzazz » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:37 pm

Thanks Martin (Walker) for the MIDI-related suggestions. I have installed and re-installed the 1212m bits several times and have Audio, so the daughter board is doing some of its tasks, but no evidence of MIDI.

Sadly there seems to be no way to route or view MIDI i/o as one can with the audio settings on the 1212m. I tried the MIDI loopback test, but nothing.

That's why I'm hoping someone can send me a screen grab of the MIDI tab in the configuration settings. Does greyed-out radio buttons mean that there is no breakout box, or config options, and the MIDI defaults to the daughter board?
fizzazz
New here

Next