You are here

Help needed with Emu Patchmix (again!)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Help needed with Emu Patchmix (again!)

Postby KitC » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:44 am

The Dochter wrote:
My solution was to pan hard left 'PCI card in L' and hard right 'PCI card in R', set all the aux sends to '0', clear the aux effect board and in 'LE' pick up the signals through VST inputs 7and8.

That same routing is found in the Stereo Product Default session. Both a wave and asio send are inserted into the aux inserts to provide for a single source of stereo sends. Apparently, having 2 stereo sends from the mono input channels confuses some people, especially once you start panning those channels.

Anyway, set patchmix to the configuration most comfortable to you and save it in your My Sessions folder. My own sessions are set-and-forget; I hardly ever need to tweak them except when I want to insert an fx or something.
KitC
New here

Postby Stuart Churchill » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:57 pm

Hi guys.
Things are just not working for me. I've set up P/mix as follows:

VST inputs show the following:
I/O card in L1 & L2. In 1L & 1R
I/O card in R1 & R2. In 2L & 2R
PCI card S/PDIF in L & R. In 3L & 3R
All are activated (green lights on).

Strip 1: Wave L/R. Send to Wave L/R host
Strip 2: ASIO out 1/2
Strip 3: I/O card in left. Send to ASIO in 1/2
Strip 4: I/O card in right. Send to ASIO in 3/4
Strip 5: PCI card S/PDIF L/R. Send to ASIO in 5/6 host

Master section = no send

Now the problem.

Strips 3 & 4 are ok, I get a signal in P/mix and Cubase mixer.
Strip 5: Signal in P/mix, but NOT in Cubase.

Multirecord does NOT work. I can still only select 2 mono tracks or 1 stereo track to record on.

What else can I do? Is there a problem with the software, maybe?

Stuart.

P.S. FYI up to now I'v been using this configuration which is fine if only 2 inputs are needed.
Stuart Churchill
Regular
Birthday Song 4 U. Personalised Birthday Songs

Postby KitC » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:08 pm

What are the number of channels in Cubase's Audio System Setup?
KitC
New here

Postby Stuart Churchill » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:22 pm

KitC wrote:What are the number of channels in Cubase's Audio System Setup?

Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby bbqsauce » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:22 pm

I think I have had this problem before when i first tried to use my 1212m with L & R inputs and the spdif inputs.

The problem is not in patchmix, it is in cubase. You have to set-up cubase so that those inputs are visible, before they can appear in the normal inputs window (the one with the green lights in cubase VST).

forgive my vague description of windows, as I'm not infron of my DAW right now
bbqsauce

Postby bbqsauce » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:23 pm

I'm thinking of the set-up multitrack option, or something like that
bbqsauce

Postby KitC » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:38 pm

stuart churchill wrote:
Multirecord does NOT work. I can still only select 2 mono tracks or 1 stereo track to record on.

For your benefit, I fired up Cubase VST 5.1 (I'm using SL2 now so I'm kinda rusty with VST). I set Multirecord to "Active". Made sure all inputs were active (I have 5 asio sends), assigned 5 stereo audio tracks each to their own input (track 1 - IN 1 L/R, track 2 - IN 2 L/R, etc.). Made sure the "R" column for the 5 audio tracks were activated (this column appears when Multirecord is activated. Then I pressed the record button (or the asterisk button on the numpad). Yup! Multirecord works!

Check your Cubase settings.
KitC
New here

Postby Stuart Churchill » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:08 pm

KitC wrote:
Made sure the "R" column for the 5 audio tracks were activated (this column appears when Multirecord is activated.

This is my problem. I can only select 2 tracks at a time. When I try to select more than 2 tracks in the R column, one of the two I selected previously becomes unselected. Nothing I tried works. I thought there may be something wrong with Cubase, but the same thing happens in Cubasis 4 (which was bundled with the soundcard).

Stuart.
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby The Dochter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:07 pm

"Apparently, having 2 stereo sends from the mono input channels confuses some people,"

Getting stereo out of a mono channel certainly did it for me - I'm just a poor muso trying to get by.

Thanks for the reply KitC

The Dochter 8-)
The Dochter

Postby Stuart Churchill » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:01 pm

Hey guys!
Please don't give up on me, I really need to sort this out. Surely someone has more ideas. Cheers.
Stuart. (getting desperate!}
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby KitC » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:26 pm

You definitely have a configuration issue with Cubase. Here's a screenshot of the VST that came with my 1820, using 5 asio sends; see how it compares with your setup. Note the track inspector pane...

Not giving up, but don't be afraid to experiment with some configurations.
KitC
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:47 pm

EDIT Whoops! I forgot you're using Cubase VST 5. Sorry :beamup:

The instructions below are for Cubase SX, but I don't still have Cubase VST anywhere on my PCs.

Martin

Not sure what the problem is Stuart. I've just done exactly what you want to do (I think ;))

1. Adding PatchMix DSP channels for each input pair I want to use in the record process.

2. Add ASIO send to each channel to route these physical inputs to ASIO 1/1, 3/4, 5/6, and so on.

3. Open up VST Connections window inside Cubase, and enable a stereo input from each of these ASIO sends.

4. Opened up the Cubase mixer and clicked on the input routing right at the top of each channel I want to record on, and selected 'Stereo In', 'Stereo 2 In', Stereo 3 In', and so on, as per the VST Connections window.

5. Clicked the record enable buttons for each of these channels.

6. Activated the main Record button the transport bar, and all the tracks start recording their respective input signals.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Stuart Churchill » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:25 pm

OK guys, good news. I had been doing everything as shown in the screenshot, except I didn't realise that by clicking the right hand side of the In 1 L and In 1 R box I'd get a choice of Inputs. A bit of experimenting and I figured it out. Luckily, I spotted "In 5 L & R" in KitC's screenshot.
I still cant get P/mix to work as send FX, though. I've created all the ins and outs, but I can't seem to connect them all together. Where should the Track "Outs" be sent? They all go to master at the moment, where I get a choice of ASIO out 1/2, 3/4 or 5/6. How do I get all 3 working together. Hope this makes sense.
I would really like to thank you guys for helping me with the multirecord, it's much appreciated. Thanks for not abandoning me!
Cheers.
Stuart. :D
Stuart Churchill
Regular

Postby Stan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:51 pm

stuart churchill wrote:Luckily, I spotted "In 5 L & R" in KitC's screenshot.
Phew!
Stan
Regular

Postby KitC » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:50 am

stuart churchill wrote:I still cant get P/mix to work as send FX, though. I've created all the ins and outs, but I can't seem to connect them all together. Where should the Track "Outs" be sent? They all go to master at the moment, where I get a choice of ASIO out 1/2, 3/4 or 5/6. How do I get all 3 working together. Hope this makes sense.
I would really like to thank you guys for helping me with the multirecord, it's much appreciated. Thanks for not abandoning me!
Cheers.
Stuart. :D

Expand Cubase's Master Mixer panel. The other asio outputs will be shown there but are usually deactivated; just press on the 'Active' button. Note that you can only render to wave with the Master output, if you have tracks going out the other busses, they will not be included during mixdown. Even dithering is only present in the Master bus.
KitC
New here

PreviousNext