You are here

Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby themarqueeyears » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:01 pm

I want to install my RME PCIe host card for use with my AES system when I'm doing serious recordings.

And also install a USB mixer interface for when I'm writing.

I defiantly WON'T be using both at the same time.

My intention is to select in Cubase Pro 10 the one I need depending on whether I'm writing or recording.

My question is will installing two sets of drivers cause any issues with Windows 10 even if I'm NOT using both interfaces at the same time?

Thanks
T F
themarqueeyears
Regular
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:26 pm

It will work fine.

No need for defiance! ;) :D
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12729
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby themarqueeyears » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:40 pm

The Elf wrote:It will work fine.

No need for defiance! ;) :D

Great - that will make life easier for me :-)
themarqueeyears
Regular
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby MOF » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:07 pm

I shouldn’t think there will be a problem, the driver is the software you’re telling the computer to use for its respective device. If it is an issue just de-install the software.
Incidentally it’s ‘definitely’ not ‘defiantly’, I see this regularly on the internet, just thought I’d mention it.
MOF
Regular
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby themarqueeyears » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:17 pm

MOF wrote:I shouldn’t think there will be a problem, the driver is the software you’re telling the computer to use for its respective device. If it is an issue just de-install the software.
Incidentally it’s ‘definitely’ not ‘defiantly’, I see this regularly on the internet, just thought I’d mention it.

My smell check is broken or typing too fast most likely.
themarqueeyears
Regular
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:39 pm

The latest one I'm seeing with regularity from our American cousins is 'could care less about...' when they really mean 'couldn't care less about...'.

We're seeing linguistic corruption that used to take generations happening in months!

Now that I'm trying out the new fast type feature in iOS13 watch out for a whole swathe of triping errols from me! :lol:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12729
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby themarqueeyears » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:47 pm

The Elf wrote:The latest one I'm seeing with regularity from our American cousins is 'could care less about...' when they really mean 'couldn't care less about...'.

We're seeing linguistic corruption that used to take generations happening in months!

Now that I'm trying out the new fast type feature in iOS13 watch out for a whole swathe of triping errols from me! :lol:

LOL

I see in my haste I wrote "defiantly" - which clearly is the wrong word and isn't even a drop in replacement for the word "definitely"

Therefore I don't believe I deserved a vituperative castigation (I exaggerate) from a fellow forum member for a simple careless typo.

Am I being too sensitive, undoubtedly, but as I pride myself on being well read and I believe in possession of at least a modicum of eloquence then i do find myself a little hurt by the implication I am inherently stupid.

Time will heal.

On a positive note the thread has furnished me with the answer I was seeking and now with this new found information I can happily install my drivers without fear of conflict.

Definitely worth the time posting my question :-)
themarqueeyears
Regular
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby James Perrett » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Going back to the original question - I've got at least 5 drivers installed on this laptop for different interfaces and all seems fine.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby themarqueeyears » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:04 pm

James Perrett wrote:Going back to the original question - I've got at least 5 drivers installed on this laptop for different interfaces and all seems fine.

Thanks for the feedback - good to hear.

It will make my set-up easier to use.
themarqueeyears
Regular
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 pm

You will be fine mate. I have installed well over a dozen audio devices on the laptop over the years and never had an issue.

I have desktop that has an M-A 2496 card in it but usually runs an NI KA6 but also has drivers for a F'rite 8i6...Shoot! It probably has the drivers for my long defunct Behringer BCA2000 buried in there somewhere!

And you already have audio drivers for the on board sound hardware. Ah now! Brain is slow these days...It USED to be the case that you were always advised to disable On Board Sound before installing another audio device. Those days are long gone, probably went with XP?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10636
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Trebor Flow wrote:I see in my haste I wrote "defiantly" - which clearly is the wrong word and isn't even a drop in replacement for the word "definitely"

Therefore I don't believe I deserved a vituperative castigation (I exaggerate) from a fellow forum member for a simple careless typo.

Am I being too sensitive, undoubtedly, but as I pride myself on being well read and I believe in possession of at least a modicum of eloquence then i do find myself a little hurt by the implication I am inherently stupid.
Just gently ribbing you, mate! I make more mistakes in a single post than anyone here - I just go back and clean them up several times before anyone notices!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12729
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby themarqueeyears » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:41 am

The Elf wrote:
Trebor Flow wrote:I see in my haste I wrote "defiantly" - which clearly is the wrong word and isn't even a drop in replacement for the word "definitely"

Therefore I don't believe I deserved a vituperative castigation (I exaggerate) from a fellow forum member for a simple careless typo.

Am I being too sensitive, undoubtedly, but as I pride myself on being well read and I believe in possession of at least a modicum of eloquence then i do find myself a little hurt by the implication I am inherently stupid.
Just gently ribbing you, mate! I make more mistakes in a single post than anyone here - I just go back and clean them up several times before anyone notices!

I know, I was only having fun in my reply which was actually aimed at the person who picked out my typo, not you :)

It's all good with me.
themarqueeyears
Regular
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby themarqueeyears » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:43 am

ef37a wrote:You will be fine mate. I have installed well over a dozen audio devices on the laptop over the years and never had an issue.

I have desktop that has an M-A 2496 card in it but usually runs an NI KA6 but also has drivers for a F'rite 8i6...Shoot! It probably has the drivers for my long defunct Behringer BCA2000 buried in there somewhere!

And you already have audio drivers for the on board sound hardware. Ah now! Brain is slow these days...It USED to be the case that you were always advised to disable On Board Sound before installing another audio device. Those days are long gone, probably went with XP?

Dave.

More positive feedback - thank you.

Actually that's why I posted the question, I seem to remember back in the XP days these things were an issue, I'm pleased to hear this is no longer the case.
themarqueeyears
Regular
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:00 am

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:58 am

Trebor Flow wrote:
ef37a wrote:You will be fine mate. I have installed well over a dozen audio devices on the laptop over the years and never had an issue.

I have desktop that has an M-A 2496 card in it but usually runs an NI KA6 but also has drivers for a F'rite 8i6...Shoot! It probably has the drivers for my long defunct Behringer BCA2000 buried in there somewhere!

And you already have audio drivers for the on board sound hardware. Ah now! Brain is slow these days...It USED to be the case that you were always advised to disable On Board Sound before installing another audio device. Those days are long gone, probably went with XP?

Dave.

More positive feedback - thank you.

Actually that's why I posted the question, I seem to remember back in the XP days these things were an issue, I'm pleased to hear this is no longer the case.

Actually, some time ago I actually had the 2496 running plus another USB interface, a Fast track pro to get 4 tracks recording. Had to use MME drivers and the two sources were not synced but they kept together for the 4 minutes or so we needed well enough.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10636
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:18 am

I find it baffling that, after all this time, Windows ASIO *still* hasn't embraced device aggregation. With all of these modern instruments offering audio outputs over USB you really would think that a solution should have been nailed by now.

Are we doomed to this situation forever?
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12729
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:20 am

Have you written to Microsoft to complain about it? Maybe no-one ever has, and there's a software engineer just waiting to do it if asked.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9520
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:21 am

It's not a Microsoft problem, is it? ASIO is Steinberg's baby?
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12729
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:23 am

But being able to use just one ASIO driver at a time is MS, surely? Maybe they need to come together. Right now. Over me.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9520
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:33 am

Wonks wrote:But being able to use just one ASIO driver at a time is MS, surely? Maybe they need to come together. Right now. Over me.

I find it quite amazing that two of this forum's finest are confused about this?

It is all Greek to me anyway but I would have thought the problem would have been solved yonks ago ot AT LEAST people would by now know who to blame?

(it is possible that I could have synced the interfaces via S/PDIF? Never thought of that at the time, nor the even easier answer, use the FTPro as a 2 channel S/PDIF converter!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10636
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Help - Can I install two different interfaces without getting driver conflict?

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:36 am

You can certainly get extra channels in via S/PDIF or ADAT via your main interface, But I've never needed that many channels at once, so haven't looked into the technicalities behind it. There are only so many hours in the day!
!
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9520
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users