You are here

Time for a new desktop

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Time for a new desktop

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Also the reason that so many of my guitars are sunburst :bouncy:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Skyline » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Congrats Music Wolf on the new PC! :clap:

I'm on the threshold of buying another Scan one (my present Scan one is a few years old now, and then it was an upgrade build by them). I've been having trouble for ages now on bootup - sometimes it baulks just before launching Windows 10, just leaving a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen. It's doesn't always happen and the number of restarts I have to do varies between two and eight. :headbang: :headbang:

Does your new PC sport the latest Intel chips can I ask?

John
Skyline
Regular
When I'm sad I sing, and then the whole world is sad with me.
Band / Songs

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:25 am

It has an i7-8700 'Coffee Lake' 6 core what-not. I've absolutely no idea as to whether this is the latest (probably not), last season's or vintage NOS :D

What it does have is an SSD drive in addition to the HDD, which speeds up workflow, 16G RAM (same as my last machine) which is adequate for my needs and it isn't pre-loaded with all the free crap that my previous, PC World, machine had meaning that when I boot up it's no longer hit and miss as to whether or not I can use direct monitoring with my AI. The buffer size as setup is allowing me to play VSTi instruments in real time (previously I would record whilst monitoring a real synth). I haven't done any serious audio recording at this buffer size yet but I've had no problems with play back.

Yesterday I loaded up all of my old projects which I intend to re-work in the New Year when I'll have free time.

Very happy with Scan
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Skyline » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks.
I'll see what processors they tell me about when I configure and order, Coffee Cup Skylark or whatever...

John
Skyline
Regular
When I'm sad I sing, and then the whole world is sad with me.
Band / Songs

Previous