You are here

Win 10 Pro crashtastrophe has altered my working methods. :D

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Win 10 Pro crashtastrophe has altered my working methods. :D

Postby IvanSC » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:52 am

So MS warned me that my current 1803 build was going to go end of life in a couple of weeks, so I wisely decided to update to 1903 ahead of time to be safe.
Apparently somehow or other my Group Policy settings had been changed to pause all major updates for an undetermined length of time & after several failed attempts to update (how I discovered the GP setting) I gave up and called MS support. After two or three hours online chatting & trying their suggestions, they basically gave up, never answering my question as to exactly WHAT the error 0xc1420121 I was getting referred to.
In the end, I took my backup disk with a bootable mirror of current install & tried that. Same issue same error code. AND I couldnt reformat the drive for some reason!
So I am now two days into reinstalling everything... Biggest issue so far has been that even though I have the software etc & can log into my account, I cant access support (as an apparently no longer desirable owner) and cannot find an alternative email address I could contact them on for help. Anyone know how? I really dont want to be calling long distance to California...
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Re: Win 10 Pro crashtastrophe has altered my working methods. :D

Postby IvanSC » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:53 am

Forgot to add that my laptop on Win10 home premium updated with no argument at all....
So much for the "improvements" under win 10 Pro.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby OneWorld » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Glad I read this no nothing happy about the circumstances that bring you here. I am having the same issue with one of my PC's the 'dogsbody' PC not the music one, it simply will not update. The only difference between this PC and my MusicPC is that this DogsbodyPC was from the time when a free Win7 to Win10 upgrade was offered and the version of Win7 was a volume copy, although I cannot understand why that should make a difference, it was a copy bought on a special scheme for educators where we got Win7 plus the full version of MS Office for £20!

Given your experience I think I shall stick with the 'old' Win10

I have had a similarish experience with the email, I used several email addresses provided by a company called UK2.NET which were great, small, fast, slick free client, then last month they sent round an email saying they are closing the service down. However I did manage to get at all the 'alternate' email addresses, except the FaceBook one,and I can live without that.

Sorry there's nothing I've written here that will be of any help to you, but I am interested in seeing what replies/help you get.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:42 pm

IvanSC wrote:So MS warned me that my current 1803 build was going to go end of life in a couple of weeks,

yep that happened to me on Laptop & Desktop although the warnings were about a month apart.

After updating: Laptop has problems running the YAMAHA THR10 amp editor (HP display driver is suspected) although Desktop upgraded fine - editor works fine on that.

Maybe you need a fresh install ?

Later, I bought a bigger SSD and decided to do a complete fresh install on it to get rid of my accumulated junk. I was able to down load W10 1903 onto a USB stick and boot from that no problems.

Im only on W10 home (upgraded from W7 DVD ) but MS seem happy to hlp.

note that not all Windows licences are the same, some are transferable and others die with your motherboard.
N i g e l
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:23 am

IvanSC wrote:So MS warned me that my current 1803 build was going to go end of life in a couple of weeks, so I wisely decided to update to 1903 ahead of time to be safe.
Apparently somehow or other my Group Policy settings had been changed to pause all major updates for an undetermined length of time & after several failed attempts to update (how I discovered the GP setting) I gave up and called MS support. After two or three hours online chatting & trying their suggestions, they basically gave up, never answering my question as to exactly WHAT the error 0xc1420121 I was getting referred to.
In the end, I took my backup disk with a bootable mirror of current install & tried that. Same issue same error code. AND I couldnt reformat the drive for some reason!
So I am now two days into reinstalling everything... Biggest issue so far has been that even though I have the software etc & can log into my account, I cant access support (as an apparently no longer desirable owner) and cannot find an alternative email address I could contact them on for help. Anyone know how? I really dont want to be calling long distance to California...

Did you ever fix that?

0xc1420121 is usually a wim image mount error, and often is due to some config gone wrong in the registry. If you export (as text)

Code: Select all
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WIMMount\ImagePath

and post it we could have a look (if the MS guys haven't done it already)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page