You are here

Do I really have to panic in January 2020 and change from W7 to W10 ?!?!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Do I really have to panic in January 2020 and change from W7 to W10 ?!?!

Postby themarqueeyears » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:15 pm

I have this beautifully configured Scan 3XS 6-core over clocked 4930K workstation
running Cubase 10 Pro, Komplete 9 Ultimate even a Powercore 6000 - it runs like a dream, really smooth and stable.

My only problem is it's running Windows 7 !!

Not only will it take me weeks to re-install all my sample libraries and plugins under Windows 10 - I also have the issue of Scan set up my workstation to be tweaked for Windows 7 (and a fine job they did to)

So I am connected to the internet for iLok and my Zero Downtime security which needs to see their server once every 90 days but also I use my own upload and download server to share Cubase and audio files with my band.

I don't open email on my studio machine or use it for internet browsing only going to known professional developers websites for plugin/app updates etc.

So how risky would it be to simply stay on Windows 7 and just keep using MSE anti-virus software I've been using for years?
themarqueeyears
Regular

Re: Do I really have to panic in January 2020 and change from W7 to W10 ?!?!

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:42 pm

No-one can say for sure. With most people now on Win 10, there is a school of thinking that hackers won't be bothered searching out for Win 7 machines. And if you just stick to the trusted manufacturer sites with it, you should be relatively safe anyway, unless they become infected. But MSE doesn't seem to have much backing from MS and it's reportedly not as good as it used to be. A quick search showed that in 2106, MS themselves recommended switching to a 3rd party virus checker.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Your main issue will be mainly if you have to change some component which might no longer support Windows 7. And of course you must resist the temptation to install software upgrades, which may well end up not working or working too slowly, as the newer "average" platform will be the benchmark.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby themarqueeyears » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 pm

CS70 wrote:Your main issue will be mainly if you have to change some component which might no longer support Windows 7. And of course you must resist the temptation to install software upgrades, which may well end up not working or working too slowly, as the newer "average" platform will be the benchmark.

I'm happy to freeze my system and just get on with music making, I have everything I need and some, my concern is inadvertently catching something nasty!
themarqueeyears
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:23 pm

I guess that comes down to how much you trust yourself and how disciplined you are. I know I wouldn't be, so wouldn't take that risk. If you're happy that you'll stick to what you've outlined above you should be fine. Just make sure you take regular back ups and accept that inevitably, at some point, you will need to move. So plan accordingly. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby themarqueeyears » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:59 am

blinddrew wrote:I guess that comes down to how much you trust yourself and how disciplined you are. I know I wouldn't be, so wouldn't take that risk. If you're happy that you'll stick to what you've outlined above you should be fine. Just make sure you take regular back ups and accept that inevitably, at some point, you will need to move. So plan accordingly. :)

I'm very disciplined :)

Plus my system is backed up to Acronis.

But as you point out, at some point I'll have to face the big re-install.
themarqueeyears
Regular

Postby jaminem » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:04 pm

themarqueeyears wrote:Not only will it take me weeks to re-install all my sample libraries and plugins under Windows 10

Did you install all of your libraries on your system drive?
If they are on their own drive (and good practice says they should be for precisely the following reason) then you don’t need to reinstall the library, just the plugin under W10 and then point it to the existing library location. Komplete for example works exactly this way.....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby themarqueeyears » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:01 am

jaminem wrote:
themarqueeyears wrote:Not only will it take me weeks to re-install all my sample libraries and plugins under Windows 10

Did you install all of your libraries on your system drive?
If they are on their own drive (and good practice says they should be for precisely the following reason) then you don’t need to reinstall the library, just the plugin under W10 and then point it to the existing library location. Komplete for example works exactly this way.....

Yes, my libraries are on seperate drives.

Though I always thought the "catch" with Komplete Ultimate 9 was one has to reinstall everything from the beginning!

So that's good to know I can just install the NI apps and point to the library.

My other libraries, already know how to point the apps to the libraries, it's only Komplete I'm not clear on.
themarqueeyears
Regular

Postby miN2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:32 pm

I would say you're pretty secure under those conditions. Problems generally come from clicking around, opening attachments and installing stuff. If you don't do these things and your system is frozen then i don't see a problem.

You could implement additional security by installing a script blocker in your browser and then only enabling those exact scripts that are required. Even embedded malicious code or cross-site scripting won't get you then.
miN2
Poster

Postby scw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:28 pm

I had no problems at all upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. I had the same concerns as you before I took the plunge earlier this year. It was quick and painless and did not require reinstalling drivers or software. TBH I'm glad I did it. I now prefer Windows 10 and the system is stable for me.
scw
Regular

Postby themarqueeyears » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:28 pm

scw wrote:I had no problems at all upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. I had the same concerns as you before I took the plunge earlier this year. It was quick and painless and did not require reinstalling drivers or software. TBH I'm glad I did it. I now prefer Windows 10 and the system is stable for me.

Hi,

Did you do an in-place upgrade ?
themarqueeyears
Regular

Postby scw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:25 pm

themarqueeyears wrote:
Hi,

Yes. I was very straightforward. I'd recommend backing up a clone of your existing setup as a "just in case" tho I didn't have any issues whatsoever.
scw
Regular

Postby scw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:25 pm

themarqueeyears wrote:
Hi,

Yes. I was very straightforward. I'd recommend backing up a clone of your existing setup as a "just in case" tho I didn't have any issues whatsoever.
scw
Regular

Postby themarqueeyears » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:14 am

scw wrote:
themarqueeyears wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I use Acronis Drive Image software so I'm ok on the back up part.
themarqueeyears
Regular

Postby virtualaudio » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:01 pm

I'm in the same situation, running Win 7 Pro on a 3770K system I built in 2013. I also have Acronis for backup.
I can't afford a new system right now or a Win 10 license, but I plan to move to Win 10 Pro (retail) when I can; will also likely move to a Thunderbolt Interface (probably UA Apollo), which requires Win 10 to work.

I plan to purchase several drives: One to clone my original Win 7 backup (fresh install, no apps), then apply all the MS updates to have the most up to date Win 7 backup possible (I stopped updating the system during the Spectre / Meltdown flap; waiting for that to shake out since there are still questions regarding performance impact with some of the patches).
Another drive to install a retail version of Win 10 Pro (OEM is too restrictive re hardware changes).
Including the original OS drive, that will cover all the bases, from a clean & fully updated Win 7, my current working Win 7 drive and a Win 10 OS drive to transition to, not tied to a specific system.
Does anyone have comments on post Spectre Win 7 updates? There were months of articles discussing the performance impact vs the security gains, many of them conflicting; and few of them addressed the impact to a DAW based system. I haven't checked in a good while re this issue.
virtualaudio

Postby jaminem » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:56 pm

Think the biggest issue if you do upgrade could be the Powercore.
Not available to download anymore and 32bit only, so you may have issues there although I understand they do a native version of a lot of the plugins now....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:30 pm

"The End is Nigh!"
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby fogle622 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:09 am

Why not avoid the panic by beginning to prepare now?
I started identifying my options back in January, 2019.

I found a 4 TB Western Digital hard drive for $100 US.
How about an off-the-shelf Intel 8th generation i7, 12 gigabyte DDR4 ram, 256 gigabyte M2 solid state drive Dell Inspiron tower with Windows 10 Pro for a little less than $750 with 18 months same as cash financing. I'll use a HP 27" LCD monitor I used with my former desktop.

I have the remainder of November, December and most of January to prepare the new system before this Win 7 laptop becomes obsolete.

The laptop hardware is too old to receive a Windows 10 upgrade so I'm planning to install the free version of CloudReady Home Edition operating system by Nevermore. This operating system is based on Chrome so the laptop will essentially become a Chromebook laptop. Since it has 8 GB of ram and 500 GB SSD it should continue to be useful for hosting my online presence for a long, long time. Here is a link to CloudReady: https://www.neverware.com/freedownload
fogle622
Dell N5040 laptop, i3, 8 GB, 500GB SSD
Band-in-a-Box, Cakewalk by BandLab, Audacity
Zoom MRS-8
Yamaha DD-50, Yamaha PSR-210, Line 6 Variax 300, Peavey Predator
https://fogle622.wixsite.com/fogle622-audio-home