You are here

Izotope RX pushing 'C' drive into red

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Izotope RX pushing 'C' drive into red

Postby hooty2 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Hello,
I am aware that this question may be more of a computer/tech know-how question than a purely sound issue.
Any help to guide me in the right direction will be appreciated.

The following gives some context:
All my plug-ins (fabfilter/Izotope/UA/Sonoris etc) & specifically my RX6 & 7 folders for this question, are installed on the 'C' drive.

The path is thus, using RX as an example:
'C'/programme files (x86)....iZotope file folder....(opens to my products)....RX7 audio Editor opens to File folders - .internals/Resources/win32/win64....icons{e.g. RXDoc_Win.ico.....otf files and Uninstall.dat
some other products have a number of .dll files in the 'c' Drive locations.

I have plenty of free space on my 'E' drive (mirrored RAID)

When working on audio in REAPER, with item copies opened in external audio editor, & when i try to back up original file when work is done, there is often no space on 'C'. and the back up cannot happen, or the 'C' drive shines a worrying red with only a few bytes left.

1: can i put my plug in folders, my Reaper folder etc, on my 'E' storage drive without getting into a tangle and allowing seamless work to proceed as usual. or do these folders need to stay on 'C'?
2: have i got something wrong in the path RX is using to do it's work?
3: is it permissible to install a larger SSD drive and transfer the OS folders and other things on the 'current 'C' drive to the new drive
4: is there a better question i have not asked?

I hope this is at least partly clear to someone?
nb: i am not saving files as RX files which i know can be huge!
hooty2
Regular

Re: Izotope RX pushing 'C' drive into red

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:04 pm

I would guess that you need to put your Reaper temp directory on the E: drive so that the item copies are on the E: drive. When I do the same thing I just open the original file in RX and then save the cleaned up file to a new file name so no need for temporary files. I always keep intermediate versions of files when cleaning things up as, in the future, tools will probably improve so I may want to revisit the files if the material is re-released.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby miN2 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 pm

I think saving in RX writes the .rxdoc completely before emptying its cache, so these 2 combined can get pretty large (single files on their own can get pretty large in RX if you've done a lot of work). I'd move the session data folder to somewhere other than C. Personally i have a media drive and a seperate cache drive (for RX and DaVinci). Works well for me.
miN2
Poster

Postby hooty2 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks to both... I'll give these ideas a go.
Isotope warned me against moving their main folder out of 'C', so I'll give that idea a pass.
Regards
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:43 pm

James,
i've been thinking about what you say (temp files/on 'E')
Am i correct that you don't use 'open item copies in external editor' but simply 'open item in external editor'....and then rename the file differently to a location, when work is done...so the original file stays as is?
I've always worried about overwriting the original.
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:46 pm

&...miN2....(thanks for response also)
could you bear with me and explain the process of 'moving the session data'.
cheers
hooty2
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:20 pm

hooty2 wrote:James,
i've been thinking about what you say (temp files/on 'E')
Am i correct that you don't use 'open item copies in external editor' but simply 'open item in external editor'....and then rename the file differently to a location, when work is done...so the original file stays as is?

Yes - that's exactly what I do - I tend to add the initials of the process that I carried out to the file name so a noise reduced file will have RXNR added to the filename and I'll then hit F2 in Reaper, click the choose new file button and click on the noise reduced file. Yes, you have to be disciplined to remember to use Save As but I've been using this routine for so long that using Save As is almost automatic.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby hooty2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:43 pm

thanks for that clarification James.
hooty2
Regular

Postby miN2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:59 am

hooty2 wrote:&...miN2....(thanks for response also)
could you bear with me and explain the process of 'moving the session data'.
cheers

It's in the options on the Misc tab.
miN2
Poster