You are here

Missing drive space after installing W10?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Missing drive space after installing W10?

Postby Kosmische » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi everyone.

Reaper is my DAW.

For reasons I won't bore everyone with, I had to upgrade my W7 to W10 last week.

After I did that, I had the usual problems getting Reaper to 'see' my VSTs etc. I eventually managed to sort things, at least partially, but then found that according to NI, all of my enormous collections of plug-ins had to be re-installed. I don't see how that can be right but does anyone here know anything about this?

Anyway, I hit 'install all' and then got a message saying I needed to find an additional 260 GB of space on my C drive. I have no idea at all how this could be correct or how it could have happened, if it is, but clearly something's gone awry.

Can anyone here help me with this? I do have a 2TB portable HDD if that helps.

Thanks as always.
Kosmische
Regular
[Insert a few incredibly witty lines here]

Re: Missing drive space after installing W10?

Postby radian » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:54 pm

It keeps a backup incase you want to roll back from 10 (at least I think it still does that)

• Go into explorer,
  • right-click the c:,
  • properties,
  • disk clean up,
  • system files

Check the relevant boxes & go.

Edit: wait. You probably just need to delete from C:\Program Files\Native Instruments the things which you are about to re-install?
radian
Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Couple things, when you upgrade, the old Windows usually is kept on the disk so you can revert. You can usually get rid of it by using the disk cleanup (I think.. it's been long. But Google helps).

The other tip is to look at what you have installed on the disk. It may take a good 15m with a 2TB disk, but a great utility which shows you the file contents of a disk, is an open source one called WinDirStat at https://windirstat.net/

It's been helping my bottom out of though situations uncountable times.

I think it's still 32bit but it works fine on W10 64 bit and it's the best tool to get you a map at a glance of what's what.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Yeah, I think windows keeps the older version for X amount of time (30 days maybe???) and then deletes it, you of course can just delete it as you wish.

WinDirStat should be on every machine I.M.O, tis a lifesaver for storage floozy's.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Kosmische » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks to everyone who replied. As it happens, I did recently download Windirstat.

I do see a Windows.old folder but am wondering why my plug-ins have to be re-installed at all. Or is this just what happens when you upgrade your OS?

Ta
Kosmische
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 am

They shouldn't tbh, so I'm a little bit confused by that too.

I'm assuming the directory structure has changed somehow in the process up upgrading.

So, you might have set a custom c:\native folder and somehow it's modified the directory structure at somepoint along the way and the data might still be there, but your NI installer might be pointed at the wrong place.

So, check to see if the NI installer has the right destination installation folder stored, if not repoint it to where it should be.

I guess ultimately, can you see the old folder if you go looking for it?
If you can't see it, then the system sure can't either, otherwise if you can see it just point the system in the right direction again and it should be fixed.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:52 am

Yes it does keep the old WIn7 for 30 days and you can get back at it from the Win10 Settings Menu

I think NI puts stuff in the c:Users folder and I guess that is rebuilt when putting Win10 on. One good thing about NI libraries is that they can be relocated, I put all mine on their own SSD, NI advises never change the location of the VST themselves though

Before I did anything much though I would do a search on C: to see if the libraries remain, I would imagine they are still there but in a different location, or more precisely the same location but a different folder name, which logically is a different location. I use Komplete/Kontakt and that has 'Kontakt Factory Library' 'Retro Machines' 'Scarbee MM-Bass Library' 'Massive' 'The Granduer' et al do a search on such items and you might find them still there, then just start the NI product and go to the database and point it in the right direction
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:41 pm

OneWorld wrote:NI advises never change the location of the VST themselves though

Advice I wish I'd heard before doing it #3874646
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kosmische » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:They shouldn't tbh, so I'm a little bit confused by that too.

I'm assuming the directory structure has changed somehow in the process up upgrading.

So, you might have set a custom c:\native folder and somehow it's modified the directory structure at somepoint along the way and the data might still be there, but your NI installer might be pointed at the wrong place.

So, check to see if the NI installer has the right destination installation folder stored, if not repoint it to where it should be.

I guess ultimately, can you see the old folder if you go looking for it?
If you can't see it, then the system sure can't either, otherwise if you can see it just point the system in the right direction again and it should be fixed.

I did absolutely nothing other than install Windows 10 so don't understand why Reaper couldn't find a single plug-in. A guy on the Cockos Reaper forum suggested creating three folders on my C drive: - VSTs, VST 32 and VST 64. I did as he suggested and moved a lot on my stuff into these folders and that has enabled Reaper to find a lot but not all of my plug-ins.

CS70 wrote:Couple things, when you upgrade, the old Windows usually is kept on the disk so you can revert. You can usually get rid of it by using the disk cleanup (I think.. it's been long. But Google helps).

The other tip is to look at what you have installed on the disk. It may take a good 15m with a 2TB disk, but a great utility which shows you the file contents of a disk, is an open source one called WinDirStat at https://windirstat.net/

As I mentioned in a subsequent post, I did download WinDirStat as a first port of call to see what was consuming most of my drive space. I can see that the Windows.old folder contains over 150GB but even if I delete that, I'll still have to find another 100GB to install my NI plug-ins.

This almost getting beyond me as a strictly amateur music maker so is there anyone I could take my laptop to who would know what to look for and who might be able to sort it? (There's no personal or work-related data on it.)

Also, if I do have to find more drive space, I did mention in my original post that I had a portable 2TB WD HDD I could use but what would I put on it? I did look at getting a portable SSD but my laptop is over six years old and it therefore doesn't have the necessary USB (type 3?) port.

I guess alternatively I could throw my laptop out the window and buy a new one.... :x
Kosmische
Regular