You are here

Saffire Pro 40 Firewire crashes on Windows 10

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Saffire Pro 40 Firewire crashes on Windows 10

Postby fictionman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I know this is a very known issue but I've read a lot of forums and watched a lot of videos on YouTube and still no luck for me.

A few years ago, I built a PC with Windows 7 and everything worked perfectly.

But you all know that the due date is coming : Microsoft decided to stop their support on Windows 7 next January.

So I bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 and I kept my Windows 7 SSD so I can dual-boot on the one I want at startup.

After making a clean install of Windows 10 and optimizing all the settings for audio production, I still have the same problem :

My Saffire Pro 40 Firewire audio interface is going mad. The two LEDs ("FW active" and "Locked") are blinking randomly, the sample rate changes by itself.
If you want to have a concrete idea of the problem, you can watch this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33SG3gKsFEo

Anyway, there is no way to get it stable.

I'm not talking about running a Pro Tools project with 24 tracks, I'm talking about playing a damned mp3 on VLC or watching a video on YouTube.

Here is everything I tried to resolve it :

- Disable all other audio devices I'm not using (NVIDIA, Realtek, etc)

- Tried two different Firewire drivers : "Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" (the one proposed by Windows by default) and "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" found on Microsoft support page.

- Clean my Firewire card from dust and changed the PCI-E slot on my motherboard

- Tried different ports on my Firewire card and on my audio interface

- Try to switch the unit on when PC is off or on

- Set default Control Panel Sound ("Playback" and "Recording" devices) on 48khz sample rate (I always work in 48khz) and match it with the MixControl Focusrite software

- Disable system sounds

- Adjust processor scheduling to Background Services

- Adjust PC’s power options to high performance + everything set up to "never"

- Make sure PC doesn’t suspend USB devices

- Disable Windows Background Apps / Delete Bloatwares

- Disable Windows Updates

- Turn off Windows Firewall and anti-virus apps

- Switch off animated windows > set it up for "best performance"

- Switch off screensaver

- Update graphics driver manually

- Update network adapter driver manually

- Install latest device drivers

- Turn off USB power management

- Optimize hard disk

- Disable user account control

- Disable Fast Boot / Hyper threading / Turbo Boost / C-State transition in BIOS

- Close all programs not using

- Disconnect any USB devices not used

- Run DAW as Administrator

After all this tips, I am no longer able to find a solution.

Please, if you have an idea, let me know :)

Thank a lot and hope to read you soon!
fictionman
Poster

Re: Saffire Pro 40 Firewire crashes on Windows 10

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:29 am

Have you tried another FW cable? Source of a lot of problems often attributed to other issues.

Or the interface may have gone faulty.

Try a new cable and if that doesn't work, contact Focusrite.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby fictionman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:31 am

Wonks wrote:Have you tried another FW cable? Source of a lot of problems often attributed to other issues.

Or the interface may have gone faulty.

Try a new cable and if that doesn't work, contact Focusrite.

I don't think the issue comes from the cable or the unit because when I boot on Win7 the interface works perfectly :think:
fictionman
Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:44 am

Any friends with a Win 10 firewire system you could test it on?

If not, you may have to face the fact that the Pro 40 is now useless and its new interface time. I won't buy Focusrite again as my Liquid Mix became useless after a few years due to lack of driver support. You've got more life from your Pro 40 but it is now probably dead.

If you need a lot of inputs cheaply and want to stick with FW, then I'd have a look for a used MOTU FW interface. I've seen several in recent days for between £50 and £90 on Facebook marketplace. They'll work fine and with low latency (I still use my old MOTU Traveller on W10 quite happily).

Otherwise, a USB unit is probably the safest route to take.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby fictionman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:57 am

Wonks wrote:Any friends with a Win 10 firewire system you could test it on?

If not, you may have to face the fact that the Pro 40 is now useless and its new interface time. I won't buy Focusrite again as my Liquid Mix became useless after a few years due to lack of driver support. You've got more life from your Pro 40 but it is now probably dead.

If you need a lot of inputs cheaply and want to stick with FW, then I'd have a look for a used MOTU FW interface. I've seen several in recent days for between £50 and £90 on Facebook marketplace. They'll work fine and with low latency (I still use my old MOTU Traveller on W10 quite happily).

Otherwise, a USB unit is probably the safest route to take.

I understand your meanings but before giving up for a USB interface, I'd like to have an answer to the question : "is there some guys here who work on win10 with a stable Saffire Pro 40 FW interface?". And if the answer is yes, I will try to persevere.
fictionman
Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Which Firewire card is it?
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby fictionman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Which Firewire card is it?

I found the payement advice which dates back to 2015.
There is no "model name" or "mark name" but you can see the picture of the technical description of it here : https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/1879/yNdrap.png
Hope it helps
fictionman
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 pm

I'm a little surprised that you can't get it working under Windows 10 as my older Pro26io interface works better (though not perfectly) under Windows 10 (but my issues are down to an poor Firewire chipset). I think we need to know the exact Firewire chip that you are using in your Firewire card because, as I understand it, some of the TI Firewire chips are no longer supported by Windows 10.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby fictionman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:13 pm

James Perrett wrote:I'm a little surprised that you can't get it working under Windows 10 as my older Pro26io interface works better (though not perfectly) under Windows 10 (but my issues are down to an poor Firewire chipset). I think we need to know the exact Firewire chip that you are using in your Firewire card because, as I understand it, some of the TI Firewire chips are no longer supported by Windows 10.

OK thanks for your reply. If I resume each answer I've received from my thread, the problem comes from the chipset of my Firewire card (I'm not at home right now, I will post the reference ASAP).
So, I should tell myself : "Buy another compatible card". But maybe today this card is still supported and tomorrow it will not be. So I'm a bit annoyed.
These cards cost around 50-60 euros...
fictionman
Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:23 am

I don't think this card is a TI based one, simply because I don't recall them having a quad port solution. Some of the older cards lost thier support under W10, so it's entirely possible that might apply here too.

However, with that said, Focusrite themselves say that there isn't W10 support for your interface: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... patibility
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Wonks » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Might be well worth opening up the PC and seeing what the card and its chipset is.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby os1wosh1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:31 am

Exact the same thing happened to me
99.99% sure it's those pesky Win10 updates, as the last update fixed it.
os1wosh1