You are here

Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby 2pods » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:30 pm

I've narrowed it down to one of these two audio interfaces. On the one hand everyone and their dog swears by RME drivers for ultra low latency, but now the Clarett 2Pre USB is claiming the same.

I used my Focusrite Forte as a guitar input to Helix Native, and also use soft synths, so although audio quality is a factor with both of these, it's the latency that's what's needed for my use.

The successful candidate will be used with my Scan I7 desktop and Scan laptop, so needs to be USB, even though the laptop has Thunderbolt.
https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs-scan-performance-17-music-production-laptop-with-thunderbolt

Any opinions one way or t'other ?
:?
2pods
Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 pm

USB2 latency may be different depending on sample rate and world length, but in this case my money would be on the RME. Focusrite doesn't write their own drivers nor makes their own chips, while RME does and thus is able to squeeze every last bit of performance from any southbridge.

So if I had to bet, I would guess that roundtrip latency with a 64 samples buffer is most likely to be lower with the BabyFace.

But perhaps you can try both and measure?

You can use http://www.oblique-audio.com/free/rtlutility for doing it
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4378
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:56 pm

The other reason a lot of people choose RME is how long they continue to support their products for: years and years! :)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8320
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:47 am

blinddrew wrote:The other reason a lot of people choose RME is how long they continue to support their products for: years and years! :)

+1 I don't like the dinky format of the Babyface but if lowest latency and future proofing is the game...No brainer.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10759
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby Wonks » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:54 am

ef37a wrote:
blinddrew wrote:The other reason a lot of people choose RME is how long they continue to support their products for: years and years! :)

+1 I don't like the dinky format of the Babyface but if lowest latency and future proofing is the game...No brainer.

Dave.

Same format as the OP's Forte.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9842
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby ef37a » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:31 am

Wonks wrote:
ef37a wrote:
blinddrew wrote:The other reason a lot of people choose RME is how long they continue to support their products for: years and years! :)

+1 I don't like the dinky format of the Babyface but if lowest latency and future proofing is the game...No brainer.

Dave.

Same format as the OP's Forte.

Quite. Don't like that either!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10759
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:46 am

2pods wrote:Any opinions one way or t'other ?

They are both good interfaces... but if lowest latency us the deciding factor, I'd vote RME.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24867
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby 2pods » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks Everyone.

Looks like that's a RME then. :thumbup:

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions, as I'm just in the process of evaluating the new Scan laptop (which seems fabulous !) and the "new" version of W10 it arrived with. Uploading updates to other computers on the internet can't be switched off now etc, etc.....

Thanks again.
2pods
Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby Ramirez » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:29 pm

I bought a Babyface Pro earlier this year and I'm very happy with it
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Posts: 998
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Bethesda, Cymru
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby 2pods » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Ordered. Here today........

......Unfortunately I forgot to order to XLR cables, so it's headphones 'til Monday :headbang:
2pods
Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby awjoe » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:29 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
2pods wrote:Any opinions one way or t'other ?

They are both good interfaces... but if lowest latency us the deciding factor, I'd vote RME.

H

What other factor might there be, other than latency I mean? If you were choosing one of those two interfaces.
User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:54 am

2pods wrote:Ordered. Here today........

......Unfortunately I forgot to order to XLR cables, so it's headphones 'til Monday :headbang:

Oh! HOW we miss Maplins.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10759
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby James Perrett » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:22 pm

ef37a wrote:
Oh! HOW we miss Maplins.


Most reasonable sized towns have music shops which should stock XLR cables nowadays. It is always worth checking them. Recently, to my surprise, I found a little guitar shop in Southsea which had all kinds of useful cables and adaptors at sensible prices.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8536
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby James Perrett » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:28 pm

awjoe wrote:
What other factor might there be, other than latency I mean? If you were choosing one of those two interfaces.

Reliablity and long term support are two other factors where RME score well. You also have access to Totalmix which, as I understand it, is much more usable than the control panels provided by other manufacturers.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8536
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:02 pm

James Perrett wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Oh! HOW we miss Maplins.


Most reasonable sized towns have music shops which should stock XLR cables nowadays. It is always worth checking them. Recently, to my surprise, I found a little guitar shop in Southsea which had all kinds of useful cables and adaptors at sensible prices.

Well we do have a PMT in Npton but whereas Maps was but 10 mins away in the jam jar, and easy parking. PMT is a good 40 mins, in town and no parking. Not sure they are open Sundays either?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10759
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby 2pods » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Nothing here now.
Glasgow, Paisley, or you have to trust Cash Converters.

I'll order some today from somewhere.

It's just arrived :bouncy:
2pods
Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:52 pm

2pods wrote:Nothing here now.
Glasgow, Paisley, or you have to trust Cash Converters.

I'll order some today from somewhere.

It's just arrived :bouncy:

...Goes against but Amazon is your best bet.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10759
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Least Latency in Win10 USB Babyface Pro or Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB ?

Postby 2pods » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:54 pm

Having a squint now......
2pods
Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:00 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users