You are here

PC occasionally not waking up from sleep + CRACK! noises

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: PC occasionally not waking up from sleep + CRACK! noises

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:47 pm

OneWorld wrote:
Bendy Carlos wrote:As someone who works in IT Support, I always recommend to end users to turn off Sleep Mode on any Windows PC. It truly is more hassle than it is ever worth.

I found that too, seems to put the PC into a coma

I've never had any problems using the PC Sleep/Wake functions until very recently, when I started to get plug-ins from a particular developer sometimes crash and at other times run perfectly. After some digging, it turns out that all these plug-ins work perfectly from a cold boot or a Restart, but consistently crash every time if I try to launch them after a Sleep/Wake cycle.

It seems to be a system call that results in the crash rather than something in the plug-in code itself (the developers had a look into the problem for me).

Anyone any idea what is different in a PC system between Restart and Wake modes?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Agharta » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:31 am

Sleep issues from my experience have been driver related and not app related.
My NI Traktor Audio 2 Mk 2 will sometimes have a high background noise when simply playing back via the standard Windows driver after waking up. Not ASIO playback.
I just unplug and replug and the noise is gone.

I have recently moved from W10 1809 to 1909 and now sometimes it wakes itself from sleep.
I have a feeling it's related to the Roland AI's USB driver.
Intend to swap out the AI and see if it goes away.
I think I should have moved to 1903 or maybe stayed where I was until I was forced to.
W10 is annoying.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:37 am

Agharta wrote:Sleep issues from my experience have been driver related and not app related.
My NI Traktor Audio 2 Mk 2 will sometimes have a high background noise when simply playing back via the standard Windows driver after waking up. Not ASIO playback.
I just unplug and replug and the noise is gone.

I have recently moved from W10 1809 to 1909 and now sometimes it wakes itself from sleep.
I have a feeling it's related to the Roland AI's USB driver.
Intend to swap out the AI and see if it goes away.
I think I should have moved to 1903 or maybe stayed where I was until I was forced to.
W10 is annoying.

That's my experience. Since I updated Win10 my Lauchpad will not work unless I start the PC with the Launchpad unplugged, WIn10 starts and then I plug the Launchpad in, and it then works as normal. The same happens with my Virus TI. OK no big deal but the older WIn10 didn't have these issues.

I guess a restart as opposed to a wake from sleep means drivers are unloaded and restarted and then they work
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:23 pm

"I guess a restart as opposed to a wake from sleep means drivers are unloaded and restarted and then they work"

Nice thought One but in my case, no go. I fitted a PCIe slot USB 3.0 card in this Lenovo T510 a few weeks ag and it worked fine until a week ago. Had it out and back, no joy so, on the advice here I have changed the setting from 'Sleep on lid Close' to 'shutdown.
Being an SSD with little on it but W10 pro it starts almost as quickly as before but the *&*^%$d card don't!

Not even sure what it is called in Dev Mang? LOT in there.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:27 am

OneWorld wrote:I guess a restart as opposed to a wake from sleep means drivers are unloaded and restarted and then they work

Further testing with my sleep/wake issue shows that if the DAW is already running with the offending plug-ins already launched, they all work perfectly after a Restart.

They only crash if you try to launch them after a Restart, and generally either crash the DAW or only display the titlebar of the plug-in before showing a system error message. This suggests to me that it might be a graphic issue, but even disabling my graphic card drivers and running the Windows default graphic driver makes no difference.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby analytik » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:29 am

Do you use a DisplayPort cable? However weird it sounds, you might need to replace it if yes. I had a similar problem - the reason is that DisplayPort pin 20 is sometimes powered - it powers from the display to the graphics card.
analytik

Previous