You are here

Intel i7 NUC - is it suitable as a DAW platform?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Intel i7 NUC - is it suitable as a DAW platform?

Postby Chromeman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 am

I'm thinking of moving to a fanless PC because I record far more acoustic stuff these days and my 2008 Cheesegrater Mac is feeling its age and is quite noisy in my small space. I noticed on the Scan website and in Youtube vids that a combination of a i7 NUC and an Akasa Turing case seems pretty powerful and silent. Anybody using this combination and would it work as a DAW - can't see why not but thought I'd at least ask the question.
Chromeman
Regular

Re: Intel i7 NUC - is it suitable as a DAW platform?

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:45 am

All the models it lists as compatible are low powered "U" series NUC's, which are the chips you find in netbooks and low power laptop setups and I wouldn't tend to advise them in a laptop for music,
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Agharta » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:34 pm

On the CPU front it depends on how much grunt you need and what are the sustained clock speeds when using a fanless system.
The latest NUCs due soon range up to 6 cores but as they are still using an old fabrication node the power efficiency isn't going to be great.
Have you seen a review of the fanless chassis and how it copes with a quad core under a sustained load?
Even though the TDP can still be as low as 15W, under load it will consume a lot more which makes fanless a problem as the CPU will be thermally throttled.

This is some info on the next generation:
https://hothardware.com/news/intel-nuc-comet-lake-u

My full size desktop is silent with a 6 core at 3.9GHz, so if you have the space it's easier to cool silently when you can accommodate large heat sinks and large slow moving silent fans.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Chromeman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, that's very helpful. I think I'll look at a proper desktop solution instead.
Chromeman
Regular