You are here

M-audio Keystation 61 setup

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

M-audio Keystation 61 setup

Postby Acmeman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Hello
i've bought a M-audio Keystation 61 in order to play piano song with my PC but i've some issues. I've installed ableton live and some Piavo VST like Keyzone but the sound seems to me too strong and after some test i think the problem is the velocity calibration of the Keys but i dunno how to solve that. I've try to use Dynamic Midi effect but the sound will be to smooth and flat.
Could you help me in this setup?
Acmeman

Re: M-audio Keystation 61 setup

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm

What you are looking for is an option to set a different velocity curve.

I do not know if this is available as an option on the M-Audio Keystation you have (it is on the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88), but check your manual to see if it is mentioned anywhere. Alternatively, your VST plugin may support it, and you can set it there.

The hardware in a velocity-sensitive MIDI keyboard will generate a velocity value for each key pressed, where that value is from 1 - 127. Firmware in the device can then take that value and map it to different functions (curves) to adjust the value that ends up being transmitted over MIDI according to your taste (or nearer to it anyway).

Your DAW may have a feature to map incoming velocities to different curves, as may the VST itself, though if it does and it's set within the VST then of course that curve will only work with that VST.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.