You are here

Networking but no internet

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Networking but no internet

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:44 am

Sorry Eddy, didn't mean things to get into Civil Engineering!

I don't use IE except when FF throws a wobbly (and why does it update SO fekkin' often? )
I do get in a mess with PCs though. Only a day or so ago I got so hissed off with Oath adverts and them crashing in that I tried an ad blocker. I then recieved a very polite message from SOS that this was not good for them so I went into Options and changed 'something' . Did not stop the blocker or the message.

I then did a Restore to several hours before these events. Could not then log onto the internet at all! Reversed the Restore. Phew! Internet back but with blocker of course. Eventually found out how to stop it.
I shall content myself with pulling plugs when the time comes.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:48 am

ef37a wrote:I don't use IE except when FF throws a wobbly (and why does it update SO fekkin' often? )
Because browser attacks are updated so often! ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:12 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:...you really shouldn't be using IE anyway.

I suspect Dave is referring to IE generically when he really means the default browser in Win 10, which is 'Edge', of course. The very similar icon means a lot of people still think of it as IE.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:33 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:...you really shouldn't be using IE anyway.

I suspect Dave is referring to IE generically when he really means the default browser in Win 10, which is 'Edge', of course. The very similar icon means a lot of people still think of it as IE.

H

I don't have W10 Hugh..yet. I have used Edge a tiny bit on my son's laptop and found it dreadful!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:49 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:This is turning into a bit of a mountain out of a molehill.

If you want a PC on your network not to connect to the Internet under any circumstances, just set the default gateway to be the same as the IP address of the PC. It's really that simple.

The additional stuff about manual IP configurations and configuring the DHCP settings on the router is only to prevent the configuration from resetting itself on reboot.

You need to be careful that the router does not give out the IP address you set manually on a computer to another device. Using high numbers in the range is probably going to avoid this in any case without any configuration.
wireman
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:46 pm

wireman wrote:

If you want a PC on your network not to connect to the Internet under any circumstances, just set the default gateway to be the same as the IP address of the PC. It's really that simple.

The additional stuff about manual IP configurations and configuring the DHCP settings on the router is only to prevent the configuration from resetting itself on reboot.

You need to be careful that the router does not give out the IP address you set manually on a computer to another device. Using high numbers in the range is probably going to avoid this in any case without any configuration.

I completely agree, that's why I wrote how to configure the DHCP leases on the router in my original post, but high numbers would probably be safe enough :clap: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:38 pm

wireman wrote:

Quite: like so much of technology, easy for them as knows.

In anycase I would be loathe to hack my TT router because if I did bugger up I doubt TT would be very useful and by definition I would have no internet.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous