You are here

Computer display monitor size

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Computer display monitor size

Postby BoreWhichProject » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:11 pm

I appreciate this may sound like a bizarre post but please bear with me.

I've been tinkering about with DAW's on Linux for a while but been frustrated with lack of VST plugin support (I believe you can recompile certain ones and run then with WINE, a windows emulator, but I can't be bothered with the hassle of that). I had managed to save up for and buy another PC that is powerful enough to run Windows 10 and had the freedom of tinkering with VST pluings on Windows.

The thing that I have noticed is that some of these plugins use a lot of screen estate which is a pain due to having a 14" display monitor and having to constantly use the scroll bars to use some of it's functionality. It looks like I may have to buy a bigger display monitor. I noticed that the ones available go from 21", 23" and 27" models. I have a small computer desk and was thinking of getting another display monitor and using my old one as well for youtube tutorials doing music production.

If I go down that route, would a 21" display monitor be big enough?
BoreWhichProject

Re: Computer display monitor size

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:40 pm

BoreWhichProject wrote:If I go down that route, would a 21" display monitor be big enough?

I would say that a 21" monitor that works at full HD resolution (1920x1080) would be the minimum these days. I use one combined with an old 17" (1280x1024) monitor in the studio and it is usable although I always feel I would like more real estate on the screens.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:52 pm

I'd advise a 27 inches. It doesn't really take that much more space and it's a different ball game.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:19 am

If it's a budgetary choice, then the two cheapest price points currently are 21" at about £70 and 24" at around £90 with the more iregullar sizes inbetween above £100.

Ultimately, it comes down to what your used too and given how small the screen is that your already using, anything I suspect will feel like a noticable upgrade. Still, I doubt you would regreat getting the biggest screen you can mount in there.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby BoreWhichProject » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 am

Apologies for delay. I've been caught up with other things and been a bit under the weather with flu that is going around.

Thanks to all who replied. Most likely will be going for a 27" inch monitor once I get the money together after Christmas.
BoreWhichProject

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:11 pm

I could be talking complete round objects here but, if you have a decently big HD FSTV about the place try that via an HDMI cable?

I do know the resolution is not as good as a dedicated monitor but it might be all you need for your application and you can pick them up quite cheaply.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby miN2 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:49 pm

If desk size is determining your monitor size you could consider bracketing it to the wall to remove the desk size being a factor
miN2
Poster