You are here

Installing more RAM than supported

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Installing more RAM than supported

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi chaps

My workplace may have some spare RAM sticks I can install in my studio PC, which currently has 6 gigs of RAM.

I'm not sure what my computer supports with regards to type of RAM or how much is supported maximum as there are multiple iterations of this PC model (I can't remember the model at this stage I can look it up later at home).

If I took the plunge and just installed it, and it turned out to be more than the max or the wrong type, would it damage the PC or could I just put the old RAM straight back in?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: Installing more RAM than supported

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:37 pm

It won't damage it. The extra RAM normally just can't be addressed/ used. A bit like 32-bit windows only accessing the first 4GB or RAM or so, even if more was installed.

If you currently have 6 Gigs, then the MOBO should address at least 8GB.

Obviously the new RAM needs to be compatible with the MOBO and all of the same type.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks Wonks!

Unfortunately I've just enquired with work and it's only 2 gb more than my current RAM and it may be the wrong type as it's for a shorter form workstation anyway. So I shall be leaving it.

I got my hopes up for a moment :(
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:02 pm

RAM sticks are basically the same size, regardless of the computer size. But it's important whether it's the same basic type and maximum clock speed speed e.g DDR2, DDR 3 or DDR4 and between say 200Mhz and 1600MHz speed.

And an extra 2GB is a 33% increase in RAM capacity, so quite significant with lots of samples. Especially when a lot of your 1st GB of RAM is used by the O/S; so that's a fair bit more for the music apps to use.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:04 pm

That's true Wonks. Unfortunately I think I might have jumped the gun and the offer may have been taken by someone else.

But I'll ask.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:19 pm

OK I've got the RAM but it's definitely 2133P which is DDR-4. My PC I believe is a HP Z400 which seems to only support DDR-3

Is there any hope?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:32 pm

I believe it's a different (lower) voltage and a different slot type to avoid mismatch. So no hope.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:33 pm

Well it was worth a punt.

Next time I'm in the studio I'll open up Task Manager and confirm it's DDR-3.

Oh well.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:26 pm

For a bit more info: https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio