You are here

Focusrite Scarlett power up problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Focusrite Scarlett power up problem

Postby DanR » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:28 pm

John Egan wrote:My Scarlett 18i6 (first generation) fires up perfectly when the system is switched on. I am using ASIO4ALL V2 drivers with the DAW and the latest drivers downloaded from the Focusrite site with other software. John

That’s interesting. So the Focusrite drivers don’t work so well in the DAW?
DanR
Regular

Postby John Egan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 pm

DanR wrote:
John Egan wrote:My Scarlett 18i6 (first generation) fires up perfectly when the system is switched on. I am using ASIO4ALL V2 drivers with the DAW and the latest drivers downloaded from the Focusrite site with other software. John

Not at all ! It's just that I like to switch between several interfaces quickly.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:45 pm

John Egan wrote:
DanR wrote:

Not at all ! It's just that I like to switch between several interfaces quickly.
Regards, John

Oh! In Samplitudes, any of 3 versions, I can just select the AI I want out of an NI KA6, my latest UMC204HD or indeed the PCI 2496 and all use their own ASIO drivers.

Years ago I had a Behringer BCA2000 and that would never start up but if I ran 'check for hardware changes' in Dev Mang is would fire up. REALLY crap drivers mind.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby John Egan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:04 am

ef37a wrote:That’s interesting. So the Focusrite drivers don’t work so well in the DAW?

Regards, John[/quote]

Oh! In Samplitudes, any of 3 versions, I can just select the AI I want out of an NI KA6, my latest UMC204HD or indeed the PCI 2496 and all use their own ASIO drivers.

Years ago I had a Behringer BCA2000 and that would never start up but if I ran 'check for hardware changes' in Dev Mang is would fire up. REALLY crap drivers mind.

Dave.[/quote]

You're absolutely right, Dave and I can change drivers that way in Reason but it feels less clunky to me to use ASIO4All. I can leave the control panel permanently parked in the corner of the screen and leave almost everything else visible. Differenr folks, different strokes I guess.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby DanR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 am

You're absolutely right, Dave and I can change drivers that way in Reason but it feels less clunky to me to use ASIO4All. I can leave the control panel permanently parked in the corner of the screen and leave almost everything else visible. Differenr folks, different strokes I guess.

Just wondering if there’s any noticeable latency with ASIO4ALL when triggering the sounds in Reason.
My Scarlett 2i2 works well using a USB powered Roland A500 Pro to play the sounds in Cubase Elements.
Thinking of trying ASIO4ALL to see if it can power up the Focusrite interface.
DanR
Regular

Postby John Egan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:35 pm

DanR wrote:Just wondering if there’s any noticeable latency with ASIO4ALL when triggering the sounds in Reason.
My Scarlett 2i2 works well using a USB powered Roland A500 Pro to play the sounds in Cubase Elements.

Nothing noticeable, but my stuff is pretty simple, guitar based 50s and 60s style blues, rock and pop
John Egan
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:51 pm

John Egan wrote:
DanR wrote:Just wondering if there’s any noticeable latency with ASIO4ALL when triggering the sounds in Reason.

Nothing noticeable, but my stuff is pretty simple, guitar based 50s and 60s style blues, rock and pop

FWIIW. My son found playing a synth or drums in Cubase Ess6 with an Evo 49 controller and a 2496 card* gave him good enough latency. However, when he played along with previously recorded tracks the card was only just enough fast enough with its lowest, 64 samples setting. I would guess ASIO4all would not have cut it?
*Using the (indispensable IMHO DIN ports of course!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby DanR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:40 pm

John Egan wrote:

DanR
Regular

Postby DanR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:55 pm

ef37a wrote:
John Egan wrote:

FWIIW. My son found playing a synth or drums in Cubase Ess6 with an Evo 49 controller and a 2496 card* gave him good enough latency. However, when he played along with previously recorded tracks the card was only just enough fast enough with its lowest, 64 samples setting. I would guess ASIO4all would not have cut it?
*Using the (indispensable IMHO DIN ports of course!)

Dave.

Yes. Can be a challenge getting everything working well together.
Makes me want to go back to my Yamaha AW1600 audio recorder!
DanR
Regular

Postby DanR » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm

John Egan wrote:I am using ASIO4ALL V2 drivers with the DAW and the latest drivers downloaded from the Focusrite site with other software

I’ve installed the ASIO4ALL V2 drivers to use with Cubase and my old version of Reason and they work really well.
Using laptop onboard sound with headphones from the mini jack and no noticeable latency playing soft synths from the Roland (12.245ms, 320 samples buffer size).
I assume you monitor DAW audio via the PC onboard sound.

I only need the Scarlett 2i2 for occasional audio recording of hardware synths so can leave unplugged.
Still would like it to power up when starting Windows as the seperate headphone/main output controls are useful. I can leave it unplugged though and then plug and power on when needed.
Thanks for the ASIO4All idea.
DanR
Regular

Postby John Egan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:20 pm

DanR wrote:
John Egan wrote:I am using ASIO4ALL V2 drivers with the DAW and the latest drivers downloaded from the Focusrite site with other software

I’ve installed the ASIO4ALL V2 drivers to use with Cubase and my old version of Reason and they work really well.
Using laptop onboard sound with headphones from the mini jack and no noticeable latency playing soft synths from the Roland (12.245ms, 320 samples buffer size).
I assume you monitor DAW audio via the PC onboard sound.

I only need the Scarlett 2i2 for occasional audio recording of hardware synths so can leave unplugged.
Still would like it to power up when starting Windows as the seperate headphone/main output controls are useful. I can leave it unplugged though and then plug and power on when needed.
Thanks for the ASIO4All idea.

Dan,
I actually monitor from the line outs of the USB interface. One of the slightly annoying features (or lack of) in Reason is that I don't know any way to monitor except from the interface. I don't find it a problem though.
I'm glad that you found the ASIO4ALL suggestion useful.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby DanR » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Focusrite have concluded that that a PC BIOS update would probably resolve the Scarlett 2i2 power up issue.
Not really in any hurry to do that at the moment as there could be problems caused by updating.
Will do a backup first anyway.
DanR
Regular

Previous