You are here

Focusrite Scarlett power up problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Focusrite Scarlett power up problem

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Maybe. But most laptop BIOSes are pretty limited in scope compared to desktop systems.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby DanR » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Wonks wrote:Maybe. But most laptop BIOSes are pretty limited in scope compared to desktop systems.

Thanks, that explains it. I used to use a PC tower so could well have seen ‘Advanced’ options
on that.
I also have an older Acer i3 laptop. The keys don’t work but the Scarlett 2i2 starts fine with that one.
DanR
Regular

Postby DanR » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
Anyhow, this listing has a power switch and other users state it'll handle data.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-OFF-SWITCH ... B00RC1NFEI

Admittedly, the switch is in a poor place. What you need is a cable with a switch in it, of which there are loads, but all the ones I've checked don't carry data.

Thanks for this idea. That should have the same effect as unplugging/plugging.
As you say, a cable with a switch and data connected would be preferable for ease of use.
I think I’d prefer this fix to flashing the BIOS.
I’ve read a couple of posts about BIOS updating on my laptop model and in these cases it doesn’t look plain sailing.
It works fine so will leave that side alone.
DanR
Regular

Postby Jagad » Sat May 09, 2020 10:27 am

I hope this helps to resolve this problem for others as I found a fix.

My 2i2 interface worked great and was recognised on starting until a year ago following a window 10 update. I had tried everything suggested on all forums and nothing worked until I found a solution in a troubleshooting article at the focusrite website.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... -root-hubs

I connected my 2i2 to the cheap powered usb hub I have for my keyboard and mouse. It now starts and works perfectly.
Jagad

Postby DanR » Mon May 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Jagad wrote:I hope this helps to resolve this problem for others as I found a fix.

My 2i2 interface worked great and was recognised on starting until a year ago following a window 10 update. I had tried everything suggested on all forums and nothing worked until I found a solution in a troubleshooting article at the focusrite website.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... -root-hubs

I connected my 2i2 to the cheap powered usb hub I have for my keyboard and mouse. It now starts and works perfectly.

Thanks. I’ve been using ASIO4ALL recently as Cubase seems to run better with it.
The powered hub idea may work ok with the 2i2 although it was data that was not recognized rather than power.
I have a new Steinberg UR22c arriving soon and this has dual power options.
DanR
Regular

Postby ef37a » Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 pm

The USB ports and their management on PCs and laptops seem to always come in for stick when things go wrong but IMVHO I think the problem lies mostly with the interface and especially its drivers?

A day or two ago I plugged my KA6 into this W10 Lenovo T510 and...nothing. No notice given of its connection, no waiting for Windows to install drivers, the green LED on the interface was steady 2 seconds after connection and when I opened Samplitude, bish-bosh, there was the KA6 in the devices list. Set ASIO and we were away!

This is always the case with the NI AI on any computer I have installed it on.

I was actually using a small 4"woofer in a hi fi speaker as a microphone to record some 30Hz tone but that's a whole other story!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby DanR » Mon May 11, 2020 7:55 pm

ef37a wrote:The USB ports and their management on PCs and laptops seem to always come in for stick when things go wrong but IMVHO I think the problem lies mostly with the interface and especially its drivers?

Yes. Can’t do much about it if the drivers are the problem.
I’m hoping in a way, that the 2i2’s data connection problems are down to the drivers rather than the USB ports.
Will see how the Steinberg fairs from my Acer’s usb 3.0 port.
DanR
Regular

Postby DanR » Wed May 13, 2020 11:01 am

I think it may have been a driver issue with the 2i2 as the Steinberg powers up from PC off and is recognized from the usb 3.0 port.
DanR
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu May 14, 2020 9:43 am

What gen Focusrite is it? The older Xmos implementation found on the gen 1's and a dozen other brands was always a bit fussy about USB 3, Normally USB 2 would be the answer but that's getting a bit tricky these days.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby OneWorld » Thu May 14, 2020 11:27 am

I have an identical problem with Novation Launchpad. Thing is it worked fine until Win10 did one of it's major updates. And try as I might, whatever settings, power management, USB stuff, it will not start up until WIndows is up and running, and then I unplug the USB, plug it in again and then it works. The computer 'sees' it, but Cubase doesn't
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DanR » Fri May 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:What gen Focusrite is it? The older Xmos implementation found on the gen 1's and a dozen other brands was always a bit fussy about USB 3, Normally USB 2 would be the answer but that's getting a bit tricky these days.

1st gen 2i2.
Just wasn’t recognised on any port from startup.
The new Steinberg UR22c I have now is fine in this regard. Works from any port.
Now the issue seems to be occasional audio dropouts with usb light sometimes going off.
It’s a long standing problem with the UR22 MkII.
Have tried all the usual - disable WiFi, AV software, edit power settings.

Not having much luck with audio interfaces on W10. I read that re. driver reliability, RME is top then MOTU followed by Steinberg.
Also as a Cubase user, I thought go with Steinberg hardware.
I may be able to sort it out but it can be quite a time consuming process, trying different things.
DanR
Regular

Postby DanR » Fri May 15, 2020 4:16 pm

Had a pointer from FB Cubase users to the latest driver for the URc interfaces.
I was using what I thought was the latest one.
Hoping it will be ok now.
DanR
Regular

PreviousNext