You are here

Which version of Windows 10? (Home / Pro / for Workstations)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Which version of Windows 10? (Home / Pro / for Workstations)

Postby ramthelinefeed » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm skeptical that this hasn't already been discussed on the forum and apologise in advance for not looking hard enough,
but I'm wondering what the three different retail versions of Windows 10 have to offer musicians:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/b ... areWindows

It's just that 'Windows 10 for workstations' has features that sound very much like 'MAKE MY PC BETTER AND FASTER':
    - Persistent memory to access files fast - at the speed of your computer’s main memory
    - Faster file sharing with features that offer increased throughput with low latency and low CPU utilization
    - Ability to run high performance device configurations with expanded hardware support

Worth paying more than double for? :headbang:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Re: Which version of Windows 10? (Home / Pro / for Workstations)

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:33 pm

ramthelinefeed wrote:
    - Persistent memory to access files fast - at the speed of your computer’s main memory

... so RAM?

- Faster file sharing with features that offer increased throughput with low latency and low CPU utilization

Did they just admit that it sucked in W8?

- Ability to run high performance device configurations with expanded hardware support

Clearly Win home only allows for low performance device configurations.

Worth paying more than double for? :headbang:

I'm not even sure that lot was worth reading... let alone paying for.

The only real push for Pro editions in our segment in recent years was through the ability to delay updates longer, but they keep screwing about with that on W10 pro. At this point I'd say get home and then grab a third party (free) tool to manage them.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Pro is basically Home but with extra features to allow for remote management in an 'enterprise' environment, so IT departments can restrict what's loaded and can push out updates in a co-ordinated manner with their company. There may be some extra built-in features that may be useful if you have a sizeable home network of PCs, but for music use, unless you have multiple PCs and are doing some serious networked processing sharing with loads of networked drives, there's really not a lot of point spending more money over the Home version.

Wit music PCs, it's generally a case of "how many programs can I remove and stop running in the background" than "how many more background programs can I add?" .
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
ramthelinefeed wrote:[list]- Persistent memory to access files fast - at the speed of your computer’s main memory

... so RAM?

Not quite, I believe they're referring to NVRAM support.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Agharta » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Pro supports multiple CPUs and usually has at least a few features that I use from these:

BitLocker
Remote desktop
Deferred updates
Azure Active Directory
Hyper-V

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations is very high end:
"support for the next generation of PC hardware and up to 4 CPUs and 6TB of memory."

Not really for DAWs except maybe Hans Zimmer! :D

Pete Kaine wrote:
ramthelinefeed wrote:[list]- Persistent memory to access files fast - at the speed of your computer’s main memory
... so RAM?

Persistent memory is non-volatile RAM that retains its content such as Optane DIMMs.
Think very high end servers and prices to make your eyes bleed.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ramthelinefeed » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:47 am

I do actually rather value bitlocker (not necessarily on my audio drive - but it decrypts at boot, if I'm not wrong, rather than on the fly, so no performance hit - just a basic security measure)

Does HyperV support talking to USB ports these days? I do still need to run a Windows XP VM to talk to my Akai MPC4000 (bless!) over its USB 1.1 connection :headbang: but in the past I had to use Oracle's Virtualbox for that, as HyperV wouldn't talk to USB ports.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby resistorman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:26 am

I used to be bullish on Pro since you could have some control over updates, but that has been taken away in 1903. As Pete pointed out, there are many ways to subvert forced updates, so when I build my next PC I will be going Home. I like bitlocker, but there are plenty of other options out there. And for us regular troops, there aren’t any performance benefits going Pro.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ramthelinefeed » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 am

Well, I love installing updates :) It is not 1997 any more. Take your goddam medicine :)
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:59 am

Agharta wrote:Persistent memory is non-volatile RAM that retains its content such as Optane DIMMs.
Think very high end servers and prices to make your eyes bleed.

Joking aside I should've thought about those as I have some in the workshop and I was a huge proponent of it in concept a few years back. They've never quite taken off through, it seemed a bit weird when they released it to the mid-range first as the uptake has been painfully slow with costs and sizes being underwelming. It feels like Intels almost squndered it's lead here too, hopefully WD LLF or even SCM if it ever appears might bring it back to the publics attention.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:20 am

I regard non-volatile RAM as a potential security risk - as if we need any more :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Folderol wrote:I regard non-volatile RAM as a potential security risk - as if we need any more :roll:

I can see why, but really it's no worse than an SSD surely? When first punted It was supposed to be the stepping stone between SSD's and RAM through isn't it? At the start everyone was talking about it in the sense of using it to cache mail servers and database servers in corporate environments that were running 24/7. The sort of place that would be locked down already.

Then they started selling it to gamers on midrange boards. I just thought they'd lost the plot at that point.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Then they started selling it to gamers on midrange boards. I just thought they'd lost the plot at that point.

Wow! I figured you'd need a Xeon platform so wasn't aware that the mainstream socket even supported it. A hard sell for sure,
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Agharta wrote:
Pete Kaine wrote:Then they started selling it to gamers on midrange boards. I just thought they'd lost the plot at that point.

Wow! I figured you'd need a Xeon platform so wasn't aware that the mainstream socket even supported it. A hard sell for sure,

I wonder if everyone's talking about the same thing? We probably should have said "support for NVDIMM-N" as opposed to NVRAM. Are NVDIMM-N modules really being marketed toward gamers on mid-range boards? I suspect there may be some conflation with PCIe Optane drives here (by Pete), but I could be wrong. Apologies in advance if so!

Folderol wrote:I regard non-volatile RAM as a potential security risk - as if we need any more :roll:

Well . . . maybe - but physical access is game over for security in most cases anyway, so this wouldn't be at the top of the queue for security worries. A solution would be to encrypt the writeout, and decrypt the writeback only with the presence of a physical token like a Yubikey on next boot. I don't know if this is implemented anywhere in the stack.

A far bigger concern lurks in another of the features, SMB Direct, which involves Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA). And there's the rub, because this feature seems like it would be useful for larger-scale commercial studios, depending on how networked they are.

ReFS seems like something we'd all benefit from, especially combined with ECC RAM. Wave goodbye to bitrot!

Hmmm . . . beginning to kick myself I didn't opt for W10 for Workstations when I bought my system from Scan now . . . but it wasn't a cheap upgrade on the system I got. Oddly, it was much cheaper on what I would consider less workstation class hardware. But then, no-one ever accused Microsoft of having comprehensible licensing.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Agharta » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:00 am

Intel list support even for the mainstream i7:

'Intel® Optane™ Memory Supported'

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:48 am

Sure. But that's acceleration caching based on Optane SSDs, which is very cool, but the special sauce as per Win 10 Pro for Workstations is support for NVDIMM-N, and that's a different functionality in that it backs up data in-flight in case of a power-outage or what have you. Maybe Optane Memory performa some version of this, I dunno TBH.

Folderol expressed an opinion that it's (Persistent Memory in W10Pro4WkStn) a security risk, probably along the lines of a cold boot attack or freezing the RAM, but I think the feature not only requires OS support but the data protected by persistence in the NVDIMM-N backup is under application control so it's not a complete free for all? Presumably stuff that shouldn't be available in the clear won't get written to the backup (in the clear). It's not really a valuable feature for a DAW I'd think. Even if it was I reckon we'd be waiting a long time for DAW etc support!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular