You are here

Which version of Windows 10? (Home / Pro / for Workstations)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Which version of Windows 10? (Home / Pro / for Workstations)

Postby Agharta » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:02 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Well, they call it Optane Memory because it's a nominally transparent caching layer in the hierarchy, not just an SSD utilising Optane hardware - so it's a specific featureset with attendant branding.

Still storage though unlike the Optane DIMMs which are memory.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Agharta wrote:
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Well, they call it Optane Memory because it's a nominally transparent caching layer in the hierarchy, not just an SSD utilising Optane hardware - so it's a specific featureset with attendant branding.

Still storage though unlike the Optane DIMMs which are memory.

Correct. But if the semantics (or pedantics!) bother you, take it up with Intels marketing division. :D

I'm simply pointing out to the OP that Persistent Memory support in Pro for Workstations pertains to NVDIMM-N support, which is separate from Optane, or storage acceleration subsystems or SSDs.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:13 am

Agharta wrote:I did wonder when Pete said they had aimed it at gamers but you are correct in that this is just the storage version and not memory even though they call it Optane memory. :headbang:

Yes, sorry, brainfart. We're on the DIMM versions and not Optane aren't we... this is how uncommon they are, I completely forgot those things even existed.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Previous