You are here

Creating password entry for my music computer?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:35 pm

I would like to create a log in password for my music computer, at the moment it boots up straight into Win 10 as it came from the factory. I can't seem to find out how to create a log-in password? Just need a few pointers, as Win 10 seems a bit of a nightmare regarding navigation!
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby N i g e l » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Ive not changed password for a while but its somthing like...

Right click on window icon
Settings
Accounts
Sign in options
can be PIN or Password now

Probably best to search online as there are 2 issue - sign in to PC and sign in to Microsoft account (where your digital licence is kept)
N i g e l
Regular
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm

N i g e l wrote:Ive not changed password for a while but its somthing like...

Right click on window icon
Settings
Accounts
Sign in options
can be PIN or Password now

Probably best to search online as there are 2 issue - sign in to PC and sign in to Microsoft account (where your digital licence is kept)

Thanks Nigel, that's the problem, all I can find are references to my Microsoft account, not the actual PC.
I've looked online, but all I can find is account sign in.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby N i g e l » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm

What about trying the oldskool way...

Start
Search for control panel app then

Control Panel
User Accounts
User Accounts
Manage Accounts
Change an Account

password options.....
N i g e l
Regular
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:17 pm

N i g e l wrote:What about trying the oldskool way...

Start
Search for control panel app then

Control Panel
User Accounts
User Accounts
Manage Accounts
Change an Account

password options.....

:)

Yeah, but I always seem to end up in Microsoft account land!
I guess I'm used to administrator stuff.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:04 am

I have no idea why you feel the need to password protect a domestic PC at home. For most people bothered about privacy/security at home just use the Windows user account system. However, you can lock down the entire machine by setting up a BIOS password. The details will vary depending on the motherboard and BIOS brand, but the basic outline is explained here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/186235/how-to ... -password/
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24969
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:19 am

Might I suggest 'Windows 10 for Dummies'?

I shall have to dig my copy out when I get my new laptop. As Hugh says, you can have two accounts on the PC. I put a second one on my wife's W7 laptop so she would not be confused by all my **** but then she has never bothered to learn to use it! Played couple of games is all.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10831
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I have no idea why you feel the need to password protect a domestic PC at home. For most people bothered about privacy/security at home just use the Windows user account system. However, you can lock down the entire machine by setting up a BIOS password. The details will vary depending on the motherboard and BIOS brand, but the basic outline is explained here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/186235/how-to ... -password/

I'd better fill in the gaps, my partner has a son with a girlfriend, they aren't very respectful of other peoples property, and when we are away sometimes, and they are at our place, things get used, and I don't like the idea of them going on the internet with my machine, I like to keep this computer off the net, as much as possible, as it only normally gets used for music.
So that's the reason, you're right Hugh, maybe a bios password would be better.
User avatar
Arpangel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Yeah, BIOS passwords are pretty uncrackable. I have my grandsons XP laptop here that I would like to use but he has forgotton the password and internet searches found me no solutions.

DO NOT FORGET IT!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10831
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Creating password entry for my music computer?

Postby DGL. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:58 pm

ef37a wrote:Yeah, BIOS passwords are pretty uncrackable. I have my grandsons XP laptop here that I would like to use but he has forgotton the password and internet searches found me no solutions.

DO NOT FORGET IT!

Dave.
*SOME*

Most just need a jumper changing on the MOBO or removal of the BIOS battery (in the desktop world at least).
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am
Location: Portland, Dorset


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users