You are here

Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm with Dave... I wouldn't reach for a hacksaw blade as a first option for the same reason -- lots of metal swarf that you'd need to clean out carefully to avoid shorts, and much higher risk of accidental damage to other components. Not hard, but more hassle you don't need.

The USB socket is only made of bent tin, so any reasonably solid side-cutters ought to be able to destroy it provided you take it in small chunks at a time.

As to your parrot cutters... try them and see...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Wonks wrote:Images without having to use the links to the Imgur web page

What concerns me is the 4 pins that should be coming from the USB are only 3. I haven't broken any off. Also, will having the iron set at maximum temp have damaged anything the last time I tried this ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Hadn't noticed that. rather suspicious. I wonder if the pin got bent when the socket was inserted and is sitting the other side of the board touching the contact when it feels like it. That would certainly account for the flaky behaviour.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:05 pm

So what would you suggest is my next step, bearing in mind after trying to desolder a couple of weeks ago, it hasn't fixed anything as I just tried it in the usb to the pc and nothing happened. Not even a crash of the pc.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby merlyn » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:20 pm

The photograph you posted doesn't look like there has been much de-soldering accomplished.

When you've mentioned 'wick' are you talking about copper braid? I've found that good. It can take a lot of wick to get solder off, so I start with a solder sucker to get as much off as I can.

The solder sucker and wick take some experience to use effectively.

With wick you have to cut off the bit you've used. The braid should be flexible. When it goes stiff it has absorbed solder and you have to cut that off. That could explain the sticking you described above.

Also the shape of the bit can make a difference. For this I would use the one that is an obliquely cut cylinder shape. Use the flat surface of this bit to get the maximum contact area.

And as is the consensus above cutting up the old USB socket will make it easier to remove.
merlyn
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:29 pm

Well I tried all you just suggested and nothing. All that has happened is the iron melted a little of the solder around the small pins which were sucked up the tube, including the pins hence why one shows missing in the image. I used the flat of the convoluted cylinder which started to go black with more use. Even cleaning with copper wool and turning up the heat to max didn't shift any more.

It is impossible to do this, or my new iron needs to go back. Either way its depressing me big time as I can't work on anything musical.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:07 pm

This has been going on for weeks now with zero progress. It's clearly not a rewarding activity for you, and it's not a skill that can be taught remotely. In all seriousness I'd be inclined to re.cycle the thing and just buy a new interface. If only for the sake of your mental health.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby merlyn » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:18 pm

To resolve the soldering iron issue -- let it heat up. Touch a bit of solder on the bit. If the solder melts the iron is working and is hot enough.

What could be happening is that the metal of the USB socket is acting as a heat sink. Does the USB socket get hot while you're attempting to de-solder?

Removing as much of the metal of the USB socket as possible will help, the key word being carefully.

It's not a good idea to scrape a bit. Did you get a sponge in your soldering kit? Run the sponge under a tap and wring it out a bit. Get it as wet as possible without it dripping. Wipe the bit on the wet sponge to get off excess solder. This makes a fizzing sound -- a familiar part of soldering.

Melting some solder on the bit then wiping the bit on the sponge is the way to clean a bit.
merlyn
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:35 pm

I can't tell you if the usb gets hot as I am not holding it when trying to desolder from the other side. The iron does melt new solder so must be getting hot enough but nothing is going to shift those pins, not even wick. And the green board is getting unavoidable scuffs from the iron slipping when trying to apply any pressure. Its not rocket science so something must be amiss somewhere. So angry with NI as there is obviously some kind of design flaw or poor quality components because other people have had the exact same issue.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Marbury wrote:I can't tell you if the usb gets hot as I am not holding it when trying to desolder from the other side. The iron does melt new solder so must be getting hot enough but nothing is going to shift those pins, not even wick. And the green board is getting unavoidable scuffs from the iron slipping when trying to apply any pressure. Its not rocket science so something must be amiss somewhere. So angry with NI as there is obviously some kind of design flaw or poor quality components because other people have had the exact same issue.
If you were anywhere near Kent I'd offer to come along and go through it with you, but Cheshire as quite a bit too far :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby merlyn » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:58 pm

Marbury wrote:nothing is going to shift those pins, not even wick.
Your aim should be to shift the solder. The pins are part of the USB socket.
merlyn
Regular

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:24 pm

I understand that but I can't get the pins out if the solder won't melt., and like said earlier, they are soldered on the other side too.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:38 pm

Marbury wrote:I understand that but I can't get the pins out if the solder won't melt., and like said earlier, they are soldered on the other side too.

Oh FFS! Post the PCB to me if you have given up you have nothing to lose.

Let's see what an old, half blind druggy can do with it.

PM me.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Marbury wrote:I understand that but I can't get the pins out if the solder won't melt., and like said earlier, they are soldered on the other side too.

Please... Just stop. This isn't going to end well.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby DGL. » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:00 pm

The only other option I could think of that I have done in the past when I have damaged USB ports on devices and needed a quick fix was to get any normal USB lead, cut off the "B" end and once the wiring of the cable has been verified wire it directly to the PCB, leaving the original USB port in place (helps to keep the individual wires as short as possible and with minimal conductor exposed to prevent shorts). You do need to make sure the cable has an exit point and has suitable strain relief.
Also remember that this fix can be fragile so care must be taken.

This bodge is currently working fine on my UMC204HD after I damaged the USB port.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext