You are here

Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

Page 2 of 8

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 am
by ef37a
I had much the same problem James with an Evolution MIDI keyboard controller.

Fine for a couple of years then Cubase Ess'6 started throwing wobblies*. Eventually saw that the kbd LED flickered. Soldered up the USB port and the MIDI DIN while I was in there.

Just ordered one of those kits. Thanks Mr M! Might be a load of old tat but at that price I am willing to take a chance. Will probably give it to son when he rocks up in January.

*Also had pitch problem. This turned out to be a noisy pitch bend pot and cleaing it only effected repair for a few months. Fortunately son never used the control so we just turned off pitch bend in the Cubase filters.

Dave.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:47 am
by Wonks
I've got the same basic iron (to supplement my Maplin temp controlled soldering station) that came with a smaller kit, and it works just fine. Some of the other kit components are a bit lightweight, but they will work for a while and are fine if you only solder occasionally.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:50 am
by ef37a
Wonks wrote:I've got the same basic iron (to supplement my Maplin temp controlled soldering station) that came with a smaller kit, and it works just fine. Some of the other kit components are a bit lightweight, but they will work for a while and are fine if you only solder occasionally.

Cheers Wonks, that should suit son fine. He is a very reluctant solderer!

Dave.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:22 pm
by Pete Kaine
ef37a wrote:'Hakko' mahap Pete? Used one, superb.

Hahah, yes, that's the brand. He swore by it all day long, although he does enough repair work to justify the investment.

Marbury wrote:I think you should remember Pete when you had my PC built, the trouble you had with the K6 not handshaking when booting up.

Vaguely, possibly, it was a good few years ago through. Were you not on a board with the first gen USB 3 implimenation and we tried a load of firmware/driver updates or am I thinking of another one? There were handshaking issues on the early implimentations, forceing windows to do a driver reload (via a port swap or forced on/off would have worked) which wasn't uncommon for a few interfaces at one time and was slowly fixed via firmware/driver updates. The suggestion of a deteriating USB port would make sense in retrospect, but it's not something that I would have started with unless it was obviously loose when I saw it.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:34 pm
by The Elf
I'll simply add my voice saying my KA6 has been most grievously abused in its short life, yet everything is solid and it works 100% reliably. From what you say I would similarly suspect that yours has been dodgy from day 1.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:00 pm
by Marbury
Pete Kaine wrote:
ef37a wrote:'Hakko' mahap Pete? Used one, superb.

Hahah, yes, that's the brand. He swore by it all day long, although he does enough repair work to justify the investment.

Marbury wrote:I think you should remember Pete when you had my PC built, the trouble you had with the K6 not handshaking when booting up.

Vaguely, possibly, it was a good few years ago through. Were you not on a board with the first gen USB 3 implimenation and we tried a load of firmware/driver updates or am I thinking of another one? There were handshaking issues on the early implimentations, forceing windows to do a driver reload (via a port swap or forced on/off would have worked) which wasn't uncommon for a few interfaces at one time and was slowly fixed via firmware/driver updates. The suggestion of a deteriating USB port would make sense in retrospect, but it's not something that I would have started with unless it was obviously loose when I saw it.

Of course, I was just trying to get you to back me o the fact that it was playing up a long time ago. Yes, you replaced the board with the upgraded version which I still use today. What I can't understand is why, just before it completely died, the usb being lose caused the pc to crash and fail to power up unless I unplugged the PSU for a couple of mins and tried again. It did this twice.

It was 2013 when it was built but only running Reaper, Omnisphere and Ozone 7 for mastering isn't too taxing. Having said that, I need to invest in a machine that can handle good film editing like Da Vinci which this machine is limited

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:02 pm
by Marbury
James Perrett wrote:I think we are saying that all your problems could have been down to a USB connector that was never soldered in properly in the first place. These sort of problems can be very tricky to track down at first as the connection may be pretty good and only stop working occasionally but as you use the socket more and more the connection becomes worse and the interface becomes less reliable. It can also be very difficult to actually see the problem unless you look at it under a microscope.

If it is one of the power pins that has come adrift the resistance may have increased which will cause the power supply voltage to sag whenever the device demands a high current - typically when it starts up. This will cause all kinds of strange behaviour.

That diagnosis sounds very accurate in hindsight. Lets just hope a re-solder from a novice will mend it.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:55 pm
by ef37a
Marbury, you say you are getting into film editing and need a PC upgrade for that. How 'professional' are you? By that I mean, do you get a significant income from your musical efforts? If so, as I suggested before, surely a backup AI would be a good idea?

I would suggest the KA6 Mkll but maybe 'once bitten'?! Stock answer of course, if you can afford it and especially defray it on tax. get RME.

Don't want teach grannies about eggs but, if you are worried about having two different AIs on the go? Don't be. I can plug in my KA6, or an 8i6, latterly a umc 204HD and just set them up in my DAW. I can even revert to the M-A 2496 card still working in the desktop.

Dave.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 pm
by Marbury
ef37a wrote:Marbury, you say you are getting into film editing and need a PC upgrade for that. How 'professional' are you? By that I mean, do you get a significant income from your musical efforts? If so, as I suggested before, surely a backup AI would be a good idea?

I would suggest the KA6 Mkll but maybe 'once bitten'?! Stock answer of course, if you can afford it and especially defray it on tax. get RME.

Don't want teach grannies about eggs but, if you are worried about having two different AIs on the go? Don't be. I can plug in my KA6, or an 8i6, latterly a umc 204HD and just set them up in my DAW. I can even revert to the M-A 2496 card still working in the desktop.

Dave.

Yes, I am self employed and all my earnings come from music/sfx/photography. All my new equipment is tax deductible (as was my K6) so I am not too bothered if I had to buy a new AI but I do t like waste and if I can fix it with an iron then that will do me fine as it hopefully wont give me any more problems.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:30 pm
by ef37a
I do not think a backup interface can been called "waste"?
You are self employed and you need your 'tools' to make a living.

No one is suggesting you junk the KA6,try to fix it but get a spare in!

PLEASE do not tell me you struggle on with one XLR mic cable? It would not be unreasonable in any way to have a spare microphone, most of the Great and Good on this forum cannot MOVE for the bloody things! Valhalla alone knows how many guitars and synths they own between them.

Dave.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:09 pm
by Marbury
ef37a wrote:I do not think a backup interface can been called "waste"?
You are self employed and you need your 'tools' to make a living.

No one is suggesting you junk the KA6,try to fix it but get a spare in!

PLEASE do not tell me you struggle on with one XLR mic cable? It would not be unreasonable in any way to have a spare microphone, most of the Great and Good on this forum cannot MOVE for the bloody things! Valhalla alone knows how many guitars and synths they own between them.

Dave.

I do fine with the one Oktava 219 since 1996. A nice stereo mic to stick on my Sony PCM-D50 would be nice for field recordings though but I only earn so much a year and have to be careful on outgoings to justify it.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:47 pm
by ef37a
Marbury wrote:
ef37a wrote:I do not think a backup interface can been called "waste"?
You are self employed and you need your 'tools' to make a living.

No one is suggesting you junk the KA6,try to fix it but get a spare in!

PLEASE do not tell me you struggle on with one XLR mic cable? It would not be unreasonable in any way to have a spare microphone, most of the Great and Good on this forum cannot MOVE for the bloody things! Valhalla alone knows how many guitars and synths they own between them.

Dave.

I do fine with the one Oktava 219 since 1996. A nice stereo mic to stick on my Sony PCM-D50 would be nice for field recordings though but I only earn so much a year and have to be careful on outgoings to justify it.

Yes, heard good reports of the Oktavas but a Behringer XM8500 is about 15 quid and really quite good enough for a vital VO if your Okky gets buggered.

No mic, no show, no money!

Dave.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:53 pm
by The Elf
ef37a wrote:
Marbury wrote:
ef37a wrote:I do not think a backup interface can been called "waste"?
You are self employed and you need your 'tools' to make a living.

No one is suggesting you junk the KA6,try to fix it but get a spare in!

PLEASE do not tell me you struggle on with one XLR mic cable? It would not be unreasonable in any way to have a spare microphone, most of the Great and Good on this forum cannot MOVE for the bloody things! Valhalla alone knows how many guitars and synths they own between them.

I do fine with the one Oktava 219 since 1996. A nice stereo mic to stick on my Sony PCM-D50 would be nice for field recordings though but I only earn so much a year and have to be careful on outgoings to justify it.

Yes, heard good reports of the Oktavas but a Behringer XM8500 is about 15 quid and really quite good enough for a vital VO if your Okky gets buggered.

No mic, no show, no money!
+1

Your B-game doesn't have to live up to your main gear, but if you don't take backup you're asking for trouble, a very annoyed client and a bad reputation - and that's the kiss of death.

As a pro I *guarantee* to get the job done - and if I can't offer that guarantee I have no right to the title.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:38 pm
by Marbury
Well I don't work for clients as such so no pressure. I just produce sounds as and when I want to and push them out into the libraries to sell, as well as my own personal work which gives me more satisfaction but not the income sadly. Multiple income streams (although its getting much harder to make a living than it was 10 years ago) is my key to earning my crust, albeit a tiny one at that but pays the bills. I have had a few of jobs asked of me where I put in the time and they said "nah, its not what I want etc" so I have avoided being messed around by people (usually ones that know me) who don't want to part with money.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:05 pm
by ef37a
"" so I have avoided being messed around by people (usually ones that know me) who don't want to part with money"

Heh! Used to be a common theme in a saddly missed section of SOS.

Dave.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 pm
by Marbury
Well I have got the case open (after a very long puzzle nd a zillion screws and glue ) and the usb hub is firmly attached to the board. The only thing that seemed odd was the 2 halves of the usb casing were slightly apart so I slotted them back together which felt tight. I then reassembled it, plugged the usb lead in and tried to boot the pc which was dead. I switched off the ps switch for a min or two and it fired up again, this time I have unplugged the K6 as I didn't want to risk any damage. Suffice to say that I will try and replace the USB completely and see what happens but something is throwing my pc into powering off and staying off which isn't good.

And to cap it, my new soldering iron that goes up to 400 degrees will not budge the solder on the board. Must be faulty.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:30 pm
by Hugh Robjohns
Marbury wrote:Suffice to say that I will try and replace the USB completely and see what happens but something is throwing my pc into powering off and staying off which isn't good.

I think I would be looking for a power rail short in the USB socket or the PCB somehow.

And to cap it, my new soldering iron that goes up to 400 degrees will not budge the solder on the board. Must be faulty.

Well, it's easy enough to detect whether the thing is getting hot...

If it has a replaceable tip then switch it off and let it cool, and then check that the tip is fitted correctly and the sleeve clamp thread is tight. If the tip doesn't make contact with the heating element it will fail to reach the correct temperature. Also, make sure the tip is 'tinned' with the appropriate type of lead-free solder before attempting to solder/desolder anything on the PCB.

HTH

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:15 pm
by ef37a
If you have trouble re melting Pb free solder it is worth trying 'flooding' the pads with old Lead 60/40. The resultant mix will melt at an even lower temperature than the 60/40.

Once melting remove the solder with wick and, making SURE you have the right replacement B socket, best to carefully dissmantle the old one. Don't try to get it off in one piece, that way you risk breaking tracks and I will bet the board is dual sided with plated thru holes.

If you never intend to get rid of the KA6 you could solder it with 60/40 but better to use Lead free if you have some good stuff.

Dave.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:00 pm
by Marbury
Well trying to get a USB from an unwanted board for transplanting in the K6 and so far its a nightmare. The wick has become welded to the solder I am just about managing to melt and I have already made scuff marks in the board. Its far harder than I thought. I will have to buy a brand new usb but at this stage am still scared of removing the K6 one as there are no room for errors, Solder wick is useless from my experience and just makes more mess than needed. It doesn't remove melted solder, just glues itself to it.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:12 pm
by James Perrett
Sounds very much like your iron isn't hot enough.