You are here

Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

Postby Marbury » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:44 pm

I don't know what to do. Just tried taking off the bad usb on the K6 and it has melted the solder off the main pins, sucked away with plunger but the pins are still holding, even having the iron set at full temp (400 degrees) Tried mopping th rest with the wick to no avail. The actual usb in the K6 seems to be in 2 halves which are lose which is probably a bad usb socket before it was welded in. Suffice to say I have lost £179 on a now useless bit of kit and don't want to have to buy another, especially NI as I no longer trust them. Besides, the new MkII version does not support Windows 7, only 10.

Stuck with a pig in a poke. :protest: :protest: :protest:
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:18 am

James Perrett wrote:Sounds very much like your iron isn't hot enough.

I tend to agree James.

Yes, wick will stick, like any skill you need to practice but there is wick and 'Wick'! Even on the same reel some patches are better than others and you have to be generous with it, one cm will only take up a miniscule amount of solder.

And....FCS don't try to use a USB port from another board! Order up a couple at least.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:28 am

Yes, its going back to Amazon but I will be left with no iron and no way of knowing which new one would be hot enough to get this darn usb off the board.

This is the iron I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

And would this be a good enough usb replacement ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap-US ... C6M513K33G
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:51 am

I have found a flux pen useful if old solder doesn’t want to melt. It’s not something you want to use automatically, but if you have problems it will help the old solder begin to flow. However, I am happy to be corrected by the experienced solder jockeys here.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:40 am

zenguitar wrote:I have found a flux pen useful if old solder doesn’t want to melt. It’s not something you want to use automatically, but if you have problems it will help the old solder begin to flow. However, I am happy to be corrected by the experienced solder jockeys here.

Andy :beamup:

No argument from me Andy! Proper electronics flux is fine and does indeed promote flow. Some say you should clean it off after the work is done, others that it forms a protective coating? For the OP's purposes I doubt it matters.

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00675 ... KAQAvD_BwE

That ^ is the station I have. Bit of a spend I guess but will serve for years if my experience is anything to go by and there are always cables to make and fix.

Only a small part of it but one thing that separates the Pros from the Ams is having the RIGHT tools. Even if they cost a bit.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:05 am

If your iron melts lead-free solder placed on on its tip , then it will be hot enough. If it doesn't, then there's something wrong with it.

But if the solder melts, have you tried changing the tip for a larger one? A larger tip increases the heat capacity of the iron and so doesn't it cool down as quickly when used. Obviously the tip needs to be small enough to be able to get in there to the pins, but as you are currently de-soldering, you don't need a particularly delicate tip.

Can you post a photo of the top and underside of the board so we can see how it's all looking at the moment?

If it's a through-plated hole, you may need to physically destroy the USB socket so all that is left are the pins. You can then get at both side of the plated hole. De-soldering is never easy.

And have you tried the solder sucker rather than just the wick?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Marbury wrote:Yes, its going back to Amazon but I will be left with no iron and no way of knowing which new one would be hot enough to get this darn usb off the board.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the iron. If it melts solder, it's working... and the rest is down to technique and skill.

To be honest, this really isn't the kind of job on which to lose your soldering cherry. As others have said, desoldering components is never easy, even for the experienced.

Also, as others have said, the only way to remove the USB socket without damaging the board is to cut it off, leaving just the pins in the PCB. You can then desolder the pins individually, and from both sides if necessary. You will get nowhere and risk doing a lot of damage to the PCB if you try and take the thing of whole.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Sometimes you get to the individual pin level and have to just pull them put whilst heating them, then clean up the holes afterwards. It helps to have someone assisting here if possible.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Wonks wrote:Sometimes you get to the individual pin level and have to just pull them put whilst heating them, then clean up the holes afterwards. It helps to have someone assisting here if possible.

Ah yes! Forgot to tell you, most soldering/de soldering jobs need 3 hands, Four would be a luxury!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:31 pm

ef37a wrote:
Wonks wrote:Sometimes you get to the individual pin level and have to just pull them put whilst heating them, then clean up the holes afterwards. It helps to have someone assisting here if possible.

Ah yes! Forgot to tell you, most soldering/de soldering jobs need 3 hands, Four would be a luxury!

Dave.

I have had, on one occasion, a breadboard between my teeth while I went cross-eyed trying to solder something that required using both hands. This is not a recommended approach!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:35 pm

It would be impossible to get a usb socket off the board without desoldering it. I can't see any other way.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Wonks wrote:
Can you post a photo of the top and underside of the board so we can see how it's all looking at the moment?

There is no way to post photos here.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:58 pm

You have to host elsewhere, then link.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:05 pm

Wonks wrote:You have to host elsewhere, then link.

You are joking ? Thats going back to the internet dark ages.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:11 pm

But keeps SOS free from any danger of copyright infringement claims - given the challenges presented by the upcoming EU Copyright Directive, and the misguided vitriol being directed at Section 230 in the US, this may been seen to be the beginning of enlightenment rather than the end of the dark ages... ;)
Anyway, I use imgur for hosting and then C&P the link back here using the Img button above.
Just make sure you've actually copied the image shortcut (ending in .jpg or .png) not the page shortcut. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:19 pm

blinddrew wrote:But keeps SOS free from any danger of copyright infringement claims - given the challenges presented by the upcoming EU Copyright Directive, and the misguided vitriol being directed at Section 230 in the US, this may been seen to be the beginning of enlightenment rather than the end of the dark ages... ;)
Anyway, I use imgur for hosting and then C&P the link back here using the Img button above.
Just make sure you've actually copied the image shortcut (ending in .jpg or .png) not the page shortcut. :)

Thanks.

Ok, here are the images.

https://imgur.com/a/VCYgce4

https://imgur.com/XUc8Kp5
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Marbury wrote:You are joking ? Thats going back to the internet dark ages.

I can tell you're having a bad day... :lol:

We don't host documents, images, or sound files on these forums, only links to them. That's partly for reasons of server space, but also for copyright protection issues as mentioned above.

So, upload your files to your own webspace or to a public host service, and then paste the link back here as Drew explained.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Marbury wrote:It would be impossible to get a usb socket off the board without desoldering it. I can't see any other way.

As several of us have said several times now... you will almost certainly have to destroy it and cut it off -- without damaging the PCB and leaving as much of the separate mounting pins in place as you can. You can then remove the remains of the mounting pins individually.

There is zero chance of heating all the mounting pins in one go, so zero chance of desoldering the socket in one hit, And if you try and heat each pin and lever the socket up bit by bit you are guaranteed to wreck the PCB.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Marbury wrote:It would be impossible to get a usb socket off the board without desoldering it. I can't see any other way.

As several of us have said several times now... you will almost certainly have to destroy it and cut it off -- without damaging the PCB and leaving as much of the separate mounting pins in place as you can. You can then remove the remains of the mounting pins individually.

There is zero chance of heating all the mounting pins in one go, so zero chance of desoldering the socket in one hit, And if you try and heat each pin and lever the socket up bit by bit you are guaranteed to wreck the PCB.

Funny story (not so much at the time) 'We' had trouble with the footswitches on the first of the HT pedals. The switches were big, chunky things and really should not have failed and didn't we were assured for anyone else (but thta is another story)

Anyhoos, we got short of switches and changing them, 6 1mm pins on plated thru DS print, was a nightmare. I therefore spent half a day making a tool out of brass block with 6 holes for the pins and one ~6mm to attach it to a #9 Weller magnastat bit. Thus I could heat all the pins up at the same time and once I got the timing right, remove a good switch from some scrap boards and fit to the returns.

Took some practice but after about 20 goes I got it down to a 10% failure rate.

Saying it again...PCB work AIN'T easy! Even with 50 years under yor belt.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Fortunately there is a reasonable amount of space round the socket. Unfortunately it is definitely at least a double sided PCB, so you will have to be careful.

My approach would be to cut open the top of the socket with something like a junior hacksaw (sometimes I've used just the blade by itself), then bend the sides apart and then start breaking up the rest of the socket. A combination of junior hacksaw and wire cutter usually does the job.
Get down to pin level then with the board mounted vertically somehow, heat one side of the pins with the iron, then (still keeping the iron in place) give a sharp tug the other side (ideally with fine tweezers).
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

PreviousNext