You are here

Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Yes Will, I should have said, use tweezers not pliers because if the solder has not quite melted pliers give such a 'grab' that you can pull print off the board.

Once (ha!) you have the pins out, Sod's law dictates that some of the holes will still be blocked with solder. DO NOT be tempted to heat and poke with wire! It will stick and you will be back to square one. You can shave down a cocktail stick or heat and blow but DO wear safety speccs. You will probably get stung on the face but that is part of the fun experience!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Images without having to use the links to the Imgur web page

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Well its immensely depressing as it seems like an impossible task to complete (no pun intended) and its NI's fault for using crap components fitted poorly. I read of another instance of someone having the same problem, contacting NI who sent them a usb replacement (same orange d box) and that only lasted a year before the crackling, failing audio started so there is a pattern.

If this goes belly up, can anyone recommend a suitable replacement that will run Omnisphere and Reaper on a Win 7 pc ? I will not be buying NI again out of principle.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:32 pm

The interface has nothing to do with running Reaper and Omnisphere. As you've been doing this a while, how many inputs and outputs would you like?
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:37 pm

The same as the K6 will do me fine.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Folderol wrote:Fortunately there is a reasonable amount of space round the socket. Unfortunately it is definitely at least a double sided PCB, so you will have to be careful.

What do you mean by double sided ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Copper traces on both sides of the board.

Top and bottom traces are usually joined by holes drilled in the board and then copper-plated inside -- referred to as through-hole plating. Often, component pins are also used to join top and bottom traces by being soldered on both sides... making removal even harder because tugging on a component can lift or otherwise damage one or other of the traces!

It's quite rare to find single-sided boards these days. Almost all are at least double-sided, and many have additional layers inside, like a sandwich, for grounds and power-rails etc.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:53 pm

The copper tracks are printed on both sides of the board, allowing for more complex pathways. The first PCBs only had copper on one side of the board. Nowdays you can have laminated boards with copper tracks in-between layers to save having to have someone manually adding jumper wires between points because there was no logical way to do it with just two sets of tracks.

Connections between layers are made with 'through plated' holes, with copper deposited on the side of the holes to give electrical connectivity. Somewhere between 4 and 8 layers is the norm for multi-layer boards, but up to almost 100 layers is possible.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:20 pm

So even if I get the pins out and fit new there is a good chance it won't work then ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Well, there's always the danger that if you don't get the solder fully removed (if you try and do all the pins at once) and pull on them, then you could damage the through-plating in the holes. Which is why it's better to try and remove just one pin at a time - which means that you need to physically destroy the rest of the USB socket on the top of the board to get to them.

Also note (if you haven't already) that the two locating clips (circled in red) for the USB port also need to be de-soldered as well as the four data pins (circled in blue).

Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Yes I am aware of the 6 pins to remove. Still don't know what to do about this but again, can someone suggest an alternative that is as good or better than the K6 (that isn't made by NI) if I need to get a replacement
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Marbury wrote:Yes I am aware of the 6 pins to remove. Still don't know what to do about this but again, can someone suggest an alternative that is as good or better than the K6 (that isn't made by NI) if I need to get a replacement

Quite honestly I have changed a few USB ports in computers and a keyboard and apart from their orientation they are all of much the same constructon quality, i.e. pretty good but definitely 'prosumer' grade. I suppose there ARE ruggedized USB ports but I have never met one, others here more familiar with current kit may like to comment?

Put it another way? I doubt it matters whose AI you buy, the port could still get broken and be just as big a PITA to change, if not bigger than the NI!

But, (and I hate to keep saying this!) the UMC range of Behringer interfaces seem very good and at least if you need to replace it they are very cheap!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:04 pm

I have ordered the usb replacement from Ebay so will have to do this now. Incidentally, the other vlogger who had this problem seems to think it was easy getting it off the board with no need to cut up the component.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:51 am

He must be amazingly talented then.... Did the unit work afterwards?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Folderol » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Well, I would say that for a very experienced person with full expensive rework facilities, it's not too difficult, but for everyone else - including me - the job has to be handled with great care. You will notice only one of of these pins seems to have a track coming from it. This means all the others have trackwork on the other side, liable to be broken if you attempt to lift the entire plug out.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

PreviousNext