You are here

Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Never buy cheap tools! Buy good quality. They do a better job and will last a lifetime. I'm still using the tools I bought in 1979, and they are still in perfect condition. £70 over forty years is not a lot per annum...

Generally good advice Hugh but I bet you have never worked in a factory of 200+employees!

There every bugger above the shop floor thinks they have a divine right to borrow your kit and they NEVER bring it back.

Of course, I kept my tiny workshop locked when away from it but they still came a wheedlin' and a theivin' while I was at my bench!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:37 pm

When I started work at my last place (some 20 years ago) that was attempted just once. I caught sight of a hand reaching for my side cutters (very expensive precision ones that I've had so long I can't remember when I got them). I snatched them away, then turned round to see it was my new boss. To my surprise, he simply said "Point taken." and word got round that my toolkit was out of bounds.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Wow - and no repercussion from your then boss Will? :o

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Wow - and no repercussion from your then boss Will? :o

Martin
Now you know why I stayed there for so long - best boss I ever had :thumbup:
He really supported the guys especially when you screwed up - spent years on the road himself.

Having worked in the print industry throught the late '60s and the '70s he also knew how to dance round union issues :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:21 pm

ef37a wrote:... I bet you have never worked in a factory of 200+employees!

Once... As a work experience gig for a week when I was at school. It was a Gossard bra factory... Quite an experience for a green teenager I can tell you! That many women machinists together can become positively feral! Misandry a go go... But I did learn a lot about practical industrial power-factor correction :lol:

...every bugger above the shop floor thinks they have a divine right to borrow your kit and they NEVER bring it back.

I think that applies everywhere, doesn't it? I soon learned the importance of marking my tools, not leave them lying about, being very careful who I leant them to, and keeping my tool bag with me as far as possible!

I've had a few things permanently borrowed over the years, but not much.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Once... As a work experience gig for a week when I was at school. It was a Gossard bra factory... Quite an experience for a green teenager I can tell you! That many women machinists together can become positively feral! Misandry a go go... But I did learn a lot about practical industrial power-factor correction :lol:

...every bugger above the shop floor thinks they have a divine right to borrow your kit and they NEVER bring it back.

I think that applies everywhere, doesn't it? I soon learned the importance of marking my tools, not leave them lying about, being very careful who I leant them to, and keeping my tool bag with me as far as possible!

I've had a few things permanently borrowed over the years, but not much.

Yeah, but not easy when you have a lot of kit both electronic and 'mechanical'. I was forever trying desperately to keep a set of HSS drills pristine for fixture work but people would nobble them to bang holes in 8mm steel bench legs!

I had several immediate 'bosses' and after I had been with him about a week one said "Oh, you should not use you own tools boyo!" (yes, a scot he was) "Give me a list of what you use and I will order it in as works tools". I went through the Radio spares cat' and the order came to about 2 bags and I wasn't really trying.

He never said a further word about it after I left it on his desk and I continued to tell the salesmen and lab guys to piss off when they came down wanting a battery drill.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Once... As a work experience gig for a week when I was at school. It was a Gossard bra factory...

Was it on the outskirts of Bristol? :tongue:

I'll get my coat...
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:47 pm

The value of most of mine is not the quantity, but the rarity distilled over more than 50 years - from darning needles, tiny screwdrivers and insulated trimming tools to miniature spanners, sockets , locking forceps, tweezers and dentists mirror. Not forgetting needle probes and the stubby 0.8mm drill bit embedded in a plastic handle, perfect for starting pilot holes in plastic boxes or clearing gunk out of PCB holes.

P.S.
I'm still annoyed someone managed to nick my B9A/B7G valve pin straightener :protest:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:07 pm

Come across many EF91s with bent pins do you Will?

Re "buying the best tools" My first pair of fine sidecutters cost me a good chunk of my week's apprentice wages.

Much later with a mortgage, wife and two kids NO WAY could I have afforded 70 pounds for cutters!

Dad was a master carpenter/cabinet maker/organ builder and there was about 8 benches, one after the other in the woodwork shop where he was foreman (Davies&Son's organs) . Each bench had racks for scores of chisels, screwdivers etc made from Stop Slides. Nobody borrowed another man's tools. There were a few specialized tools that perhaps one chap had for a rare task but you had to be VERY deferrential in askng to borrow it and if you forgot to give it back at the end of the day...!!!

That is the way I was bought up about one's kit!

Dave
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:16 pm

Yep, i don't loan out my tools, but i'm happy to pay a visit with them and help where i can. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:38 am

ef37a wrote:There every bugger above the shop floor thinks they have a divine right to borrow your kit and they NEVER bring it back.

When I first started work I was sent to the stores where they gave me a tool box and a standard set of decent tools. However, after a few years I worked for someone who thought that all tools should be communal - the problem was they all seemed to end up in his office! So I ended up buying a bunch of those cheap (£90-ish) electronics toolkits that you can buy from CPC and keeping one of them hidden under my desk so that I knew where I could find a certain tool if there were none left in the lab. While they may not be the absolute best quality, most of the tools were certainly usable.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Marbury » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

I heard Gossard went bust :D
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Marbury wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

I heard Gossard went bust :D

But an Uplifting experience when he was there. Then he crossed over into another field.

'D'
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Guys you're really padding this story out... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Guys you're really padding this story out... :lol:

Heh! I had a similar experience when I was about 18 or 19. I was sent to a dress factory to look at the PA system. Can't remember the fault but I DO remember having to walk through a vast machining room of about 100 women to check the sound coverage. I was a very odd colour by the time I reached the end!

Taught me one thing about PA systems and the general public though? You can NEVER bloody win!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:23 pm

Back on topic, my fresh new USB has arrived so I have to decide weather to go in or not. Again, it seems an impossible task cutting up the duff one leaving just the individual pins. Can't each pin be de-soldered (sucked up/wick) via adding 60/40 (whatever that is) ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:31 pm

You have to get that shell opened out first.

The way I would do this would be to use a junior hacksaw blade - just the blade not the whole saw, and with the teeth pointing the 'wrong' way so it cuts when you pull. Cut right down to the board itself but be careful not to cut into the board. Then you should be able to pull the halves apart a little and separate the metal part of the outer shell. Thats the time to start snipping away at it and the rest of the gubbins inside.

Due to the shape of the shell you will probably end up taking the four pins out before finally removing the shell.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:10 am

Folderol wrote:You have to get that shell opened out first.

The way I would do this would be to use a junior hacksaw blade - just the blade not the whole saw, and with the teeth pointing the 'wrong' way so it cuts when you pull. Cut right down to the board itself but be careful not to cut into the board. Then you should be able to pull the halves apart a little and separate the metal part of the outer shell. Thats the time to start snipping away at it and the rest of the gubbins inside.

Due to the shape of the shell you will probably end up taking the four pins out before finally removing the shell.

I'm still not sure exactly what you mean. Cut down vertical or horizontal ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 am

Marbury wrote:
Folderol wrote:You have to get that shell opened out first.

I'm still not sure exactly what you mean. Cut down vertical or horizontal ?

Anyway you do! Just don't cut the PCB or other components. Personally I would not use a saw blade, it will leave conducting swarf * on the board. I have never met a 'tin' connector I could not prise apart and destroy with side cutters!

*Not American English it seems?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:20 pm

My wife has a pair of those parrot shaped jewelry cutters if that would do it ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext