You are here

Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

Postby James Perrett » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:38 am

ef37a wrote:There every bugger above the shop floor thinks they have a divine right to borrow your kit and they NEVER bring it back.

When I first started work I was sent to the stores where they gave me a tool box and a standard set of decent tools. However, after a few years I worked for someone who thought that all tools should be communal - the problem was they all seemed to end up in his office! So I ended up buying a bunch of those cheap (£90-ish) electronics toolkits that you can buy from CPC and keeping one of them hidden under my desk so that I knew where I could find a certain tool if there were none left in the lab. While they may not be the absolute best quality, most of the tools were certainly usable.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Marbury » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:... I bet you have never worked in a factory of 200+employees!

Once... As a work experience gig for a week when I was at school. It was a Gossard bra factory... Quite an experience for a green teenager I can tell you! That many women machinists together can become positively feral! Misandry a go go... But I did learn a lot about practical industrial power-factor correction :lol:

I heard Gossard went bust :D
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Marbury wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:... I bet you have never worked in a factory of 200+employees!

Once... As a work experience gig for a week when I was at school. It was a Gossard bra factory... Quite an experience for a green teenager I can tell you! That many women machinists together can become positively feral! Misandry a go go... But I did learn a lot about practical industrial power-factor correction :lol:

I heard Gossard went bust :D

But an Uplifting experience when he was there. Then he crossed over into another field.

'D'
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Guys you're really padding this story out... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Guys you're really padding this story out... :lol:

Heh! I had a similar experience when I was about 18 or 19. I was sent to a dress factory to look at the PA system. Can't remember the fault but I DO remember having to walk through a vast machining room of about 100 women to check the sound coverage. I was a very odd colour by the time I reached the end!

Taught me one thing about PA systems and the general public though? You can NEVER bloody win!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:23 pm

Back on topic, my fresh new USB has arrived so I have to decide weather to go in or not. Again, it seems an impossible task cutting up the duff one leaving just the individual pins. Can't each pin be de-soldered (sucked up/wick) via adding 60/40 (whatever that is) ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:31 pm

You have to get that shell opened out first.

The way I would do this would be to use a junior hacksaw blade - just the blade not the whole saw, and with the teeth pointing the 'wrong' way so it cuts when you pull. Cut right down to the board itself but be careful not to cut into the board. Then you should be able to pull the halves apart a little and separate the metal part of the outer shell. Thats the time to start snipping away at it and the rest of the gubbins inside.

Due to the shape of the shell you will probably end up taking the four pins out before finally removing the shell.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:10 am

Folderol wrote:You have to get that shell opened out first.

The way I would do this would be to use a junior hacksaw blade - just the blade not the whole saw, and with the teeth pointing the 'wrong' way so it cuts when you pull. Cut right down to the board itself but be careful not to cut into the board. Then you should be able to pull the halves apart a little and separate the metal part of the outer shell. Thats the time to start snipping away at it and the rest of the gubbins inside.

Due to the shape of the shell you will probably end up taking the four pins out before finally removing the shell.

I'm still not sure exactly what you mean. Cut down vertical or horizontal ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:57 am

Marbury wrote:
Folderol wrote:You have to get that shell opened out first.

I'm still not sure exactly what you mean. Cut down vertical or horizontal ?

Anyway you do! Just don't cut the PCB or other components. Personally I would not use a saw blade, it will leave conducting swarf * on the board. I have never met a 'tin' connector I could not prise apart and destroy with side cutters!

*Not American English it seems?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:20 pm

My wife has a pair of those parrot shaped jewelry cutters if that would do it ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm with Dave... I wouldn't reach for a hacksaw blade as a first option for the same reason -- lots of metal swarf that you'd need to clean out carefully to avoid shorts, and much higher risk of accidental damage to other components. Not hard, but more hassle you don't need.

The USB socket is only made of bent tin, so any reasonably solid side-cutters ought to be able to destroy it provided you take it in small chunks at a time.

As to your parrot cutters... try them and see...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Wonks wrote:Images without having to use the links to the Imgur web page

What concerns me is the 4 pins that should be coming from the USB are only 3. I haven't broken any off. Also, will having the iron set at maximum temp have damaged anything the last time I tried this ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Hadn't noticed that. rather suspicious. I wonder if the pin got bent when the socket was inserted and is sitting the other side of the board touching the contact when it feels like it. That would certainly account for the flaky behaviour.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:05 pm

So what would you suggest is my next step, bearing in mind after trying to desolder a couple of weeks ago, it hasn't fixed anything as I just tried it in the usb to the pc and nothing happened. Not even a crash of the pc.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby merlyn » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:20 pm

The photograph you posted doesn't look like there has been much de-soldering accomplished.

When you've mentioned 'wick' are you talking about copper braid? I've found that good. It can take a lot of wick to get solder off, so I start with a solder sucker to get as much off as I can.

The solder sucker and wick take some experience to use effectively.

With wick you have to cut off the bit you've used. The braid should be flexible. When it goes stiff it has absorbed solder and you have to cut that off. That could explain the sticking you described above.

Also the shape of the bit can make a difference. For this I would use the one that is an obliquely cut cylinder shape. Use the flat surface of this bit to get the maximum contact area.

And as is the consensus above cutting up the old USB socket will make it easier to remove.
merlyn
Regular

PreviousNext